• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Ever go prone with plates, chest rig with four single 30 rounders across it?
    Depends on whether they're a single layer or two layers. There are plate carrier placards that are 4 mags across, not double stacked.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Why not just load out for a 10/22? I’m sure with some Velcro tape , you could stick 20 mags on your p.c. Maybe a couple bricks in your pack…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Depends on whether they're a single layer or two layers. There are plate carrier placards that are 4 mags across, not double stacked.
    This young Marine below didnt listen to his older Marine brother a few years ago before he was deployed. Four,six or eight M16 mags, add a carrier and plates, its a bit more difficult to not just dig a hidey hole deep enough, its just tough to breath much less shoot.
    Theres not much on the front of his carrier at work today.

Attachments

• IMG_0113.jpg
      IMG_0113.jpg
      492.5 KB · Views: 22

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    That’s a whole lot of mags! The more the merrier. But with your chest rig, have you tried crawling, shooting prone, and shooting under barriers? Just something to consider. The first time I did any of that with a 6 mag vest load out, I switched to 3.
    i thought of that. if needed i would switch to only 3. that's one reason i bought the 2 mag belt pouch.

i also thought about adjusting it to ride lower on my torso if needed. then i'd have to take the pistol mags of the front. i do have a molle pistol mag carrier for that setup

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Why not just load out for a 10/22? I’m sure with some Velcro tape , you could stick 20 mags on your p.c. Maybe a couple bricks in your pack…
    You joke, but realistically in urban combat a supressed 10/22 with a bunch of rounds is arguable. Quiet and mobile. Easy to make headshots at ranges 50-100 yards with a decent optic.

ARs are loud. Hard not to get in a firefight when you start shooting.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This young Marine below didnt listen to his older Marine brother a few years ago before he was deployed. Four,six or eight M16 mags, add a carrier and plates, its a bit more difficult to not just dig a hidey hole deep enough, its just tough to breath much less shoot.
    Theres not much on the front of his carrier at work today.
    Just comes down to mission. How far do you think you're gonna have to move? How much do you think you're gonna have to shoot? How much protection do you want?

It's true that nobody ever died in a gunfight thinking "I wish I had less ammo". But people died thinking that on the way to the gunfight.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Just comes down to mission. How far do you think you're gonna have to move? How much do you think you're gonna have to shoot? How much protection do you want?

It's true that nobody ever died in a gunfight thinking "I wish I had less ammo". But people died thinking that on the way to the gunfight.
    I dont believe I mentioned carrying less, I recall double-timing what seemed halfway across what was once Southern Rhodesia humping a FN FAL HB rifle and its acrudaments. What I was saying is having mags stacked or singles across ones chest makes it tough to do lots of things, like lay reasonably flat when its needed.
    These converations at our home get interesting at times with all of are were or Grunts but are 35-40 years apart.
    Lol

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    To be realistic, 120 - 140 rounds of 7.62 NATO is about it.

Ammo count = time in the fight

140 rounds won't last long in a firefight (which should have been avoided in the first place)

Imho 7.62 NATO for SHTF is best used as a stationary weapon, to be used from a building or vehicle. Only static locations will be able to supply a rifle like that. You'll weigh yourself otherwise.

Think more about tactics first then match the gear to fit.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

140 rounds won't last long in a firefight (which should have been avoided in the first place)

Imho 7.62 NATO for SHTF is best used as a stationary weapon, to be used from a building or vehicle. Only static locations will be able to supply a rifle like that. You'd weigh yourself down too much otherwise.

I agree.
    I built a 16" AR 10 for long range home defense, hunting, and support weapon. Something to hit hard out to 600-700yds. I run 175gr SMK only.
    My home has around 14" of brick outer wall. So my home is literally my castle. Built in 1901, and I'm still finding things that need repairs, and always adding insulation ;)
    Cistern, and septic system so water storage, and waste isn't dependent on utilities companies.
    I'm as bugged out as I'm going to get.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

Imho 7.62 NATO for SHTF is best used as a stationary weapon, to be used from a building or vehicle. Only static locations will be able to supply a rifle like that. You'll weigh yourself otherwise.

When you're ammo and logistics resupply limited you have to make every shot count . . . I and especially my senior NCOs had to discipline the noobs to keep it off of Rock-n-Roll and not to engage in Spray-n-Pray. There was a time and place for some cover fire to allow maneuvering, but it still had to be disciplined in volume of fire, its direction, and duration. Using combined arms and calling for indirect fire in the battle space helps conserve bang stick bullits. Fixing bayonets is not what you want to be forced to resort to. It's going to be a Very Bad Day if you do. Ease of ammo resupply is always on the back of leaders' minds.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I humped the M60 and my buddy was RO. On cold weather training we each had to sleep with one of those batteries.

A battery that came out of a cold metal box in 40-60 below was a real life changer.

You had to stick your thumb up your butt and scream "SNAKE" just to take a pee...
    I've been in severe cold arctic weather. Not a fun experience. It's a slog just trying to do anything. Had to start diesel vehicles every hour for battery charge and keeping fuel from jelling. Had to keep water buffaloes moving frequently to prevent water in them from freezing. Frostbite on hands and feet was an extreme hazard. Anyone engaged in food prep or KP was particularly at risk for hand frostbite. Had a canteen cup half filled with hot coffee in it one morning. In fifteen minutes, a frozen coffee cube was forming. Yup . . . and using the field latrine was a real chore . . . to keep from freezing your ass off . . . literally.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Sometimes pictures are worth a thousand words. This is something I put together to run my M1A scout through some classes. Basically, one in the gun, two mag pouches that hold two 20rd mags each, then the pouches for radio, medical, etc. With this, I could see maybe adding another 2 mags, but that'd be my absolute limit for being able to shoot and move. I'm sure plenty of people would have better options and opinions than this and that's fine.

Attachments

• 20230406_223814.jpg
      20230406_223814.jpg
      785.1 KB · Views: 7
    Top Bottom