• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Thank you. Getting a small discount, extra chain and 5 gallons of premixed non ethanol. Dealer even offered to let me take it home today with an Oregon bar and chain and then swap me out when he got the correct one Friday. I declined that because I didn’t want him to lose money on the bar and chain when I didn’t NEED to cut wood today. Great guy and he really tried to help me out. I’m going back tomorrow to buy a trimmer and blower. Then hopefully Friday I’ll have a saw. He really went above and beyond for me so I’m going to spend about a grand at his place. Trimmer, blower and saw are probably all better pieces than I need but should last me a very long time.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have owned different brands, highly recommend sachs dolmar top quality i have one that is 30 yrs old has cut tons of wood and only had spark plug changes and air filter cleaned in all that time!!!!!!

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Thank you. Getting a small discount, extra chain and 5 gallons of premixed non ethanol. Dealer even offered to let me take it home today with an Oregon bar and chain and then swap me out when he got the correct one Friday. I declined that because I didnÂ’t want him to lose money on the bar and chain when I didnÂ’t NEED to cut wood today. Great guy and he really tried to help me out. IÂ’m going back tomorrow to buy a trimmer and blower. Then hopefully Friday IÂ’ll have a saw. He really went above and beyond for me so IÂ’m going to spend about a grand at his place. Trimmer, blower and saw are probably all better pieces than I need but should last me a very long time.

Buy once, cry once. Your time is valuable, and nothing irritates me more than when equipment wastes my time. I like Stihls because they don't do that.

Wherever it is, they sound like a real stand-up place who understand people sometimes need to get stuff done fast (even though that wasn't the case for you).

If you haven't already sprung for them, I've found 2 or 3 plastic felling wedges and a medium-size steel mallet can be worth their weight in gold too. Even though you said you're mostly working on stuff that's already down, if the log you're bucking is under a normal amount of pressure, you can often start the cut on top, stop & hit the bar lock and hammer in a wedge behind it, then finish the cut downward without binding.

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    And this ^^^. Sawed for 3 years before I wised up and lowered the risk of injury. You can get the same equipment without the fancy logo for about 20% less on Amazon (aka the Sears and Roebuck of the 21st century).

Our local Mennonite store had a special where you bought a new saw and they gave you credit towards buying gear.

A guy came in to buy his first chainsaw, never even ran one before. They told him about the offer and showed him what he needed which came out to $80 over the credit.

He looks to his wife for approval and she says,"Our co-pay for an ER visit is only $50, naw, I don't think so..."

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Stihl MS 271 "Farm boss"

It is an 18in,but it will run a 20 inch bar. I have had one for a years of cutting firewood. Use high octane fuel with your mix and it is a great saw.

I have downed many trees with it,cut them up, and run them through a log splinter.

From 2012-2016 we had a wood furnace so 8-12 cords of wood a year burned up here in Northern Minnesota. Zero problems from the saw. I have replaced the Bar a few times(my errors) and obviously chains.

I also have a little Husquvarna 120i that is mainly used to clear 4 wheeler/snowmobile trails or sometimes to remove branches more easily after felling. It has been a good little saw(but to small for what you are seeking to do).

Stihl makes some great saws,but so do others.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...I've heard Husqs are OK, though not as durable...

Well, you heard wrong.;)

Seriously, this like arguing Ford vs Chevy, 9mm vs .45, of John Deere vs everything else.

Both companies make a great saw. I'll personally never own a Stihl because my local dealer sucks. I bought a Husqvarna because their local dealer is awesome.

I have been feeding a very hungry outdoor boiler for 12 years with only one saw, a Husqvarna 359. It's been reliable without fail, even though it's far from "stock" at this point.

That said, for somebody looking for a new saw, as a casual wood cutter, I'd look long and hard at the Echo 590. I know a few people who have them and they love them. 60cc is great size, and a 5 year warranty is tough to beat.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    If I was going to ever buy another gas powered chainsaw again, it would be a Stihl.

That said, I use one too infrequently to warrant having one. However, when I need one, I NEED one. My solution was to go with a battery powered one. Last year I got the DeWalt chainsaw. It's plenty powerful, and I have used it several times. Big honking 40v battery. Only got like a 16" or 18" bar, but big enough for what I need. Haven't got around to getting a second battery for it yet. Haven't needed it. It doesn't run all the time like a gas saw. On, off, on, off, when you hit the trigger. When I rest, it rests. I'm old, and half crippled, so by the time I run the battery down, I ready for a nap anyhow, and it will charge back up in an hr or so. Just thought I'd through that out there.

Photo of a rifle I've posted on INGO before. That tree it's sitting on was cut up with the Dewalt on a single battery charge early last summer. I left the last 6 or 8 ft of trunk sitting there because that's where it ran out of juice. It's still there because I like to take gun photos on it... lol.

94262015_2561089284139549_6576137002293395456_o.jpg

Rescue912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Lafayette
    Buy an old Stihl or a new Echo. I only use Echo now, had too many issues with the newer Stihls. I sold my last 3 Stihl saws last spring and won't own another. One had a bad ignition, one a case leak and the other the bearings were growling after about a year. Buy a CS590, save some money and don't look back.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I have owned different brands, highly recommend sachs dolmar top quality i have one that is 30 yrs old has cut tons of wood and only had spark plug changes and air filter cleaned in all that time!!!!!!

Glad im not the only one that knows about the Dolmar secret.:rockwoot: Only other saw id buy other than Stihl.
    There are guys that run Dolmar saws all over the forestry forum.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    A few things to consider about dealerships.
    They are REQUIRED to sell a minimum number of machines in order to maintain their dealership status. They can have the best mechanics in the world, but they will do everything they can to convince you that your saw is junk and you need a newer/bigger one.
    Most dealerships can't afford to pay a good mechanic enough to support a family. If the dealer himself is a good mechanic, you have a shot at getting good service BUT refer to the above statement first. Otherwise you get a relatively young guy who's a certified technician which means that he (or she) sat through the training and was able to pass the minimum requirements. I've done dozens of training programs for techs over the years, and the truth is that the minimum requirements are rather low. It doesn't mean the techs are dumb, it just means that the requirements are low. The young guy rarely has the experience needed to accurately diagnose a problem. They look up the symptom in the book, replace the recommended part, and bill you dealership shop rates for it. If your mechanic isn't in the habit of modding and porting saws, I wouldn't let him or her work on yours. All of this assumes that they even bother looking at the saw instead of automatically recommending a newer/bigger one. The last 3 times I took a saw to a dealer, they told me it was junk and it would be cheaper to replace. All 3 of those saws are running great today, and none cost me more than $100 to properly repair. My last trip was with a Stihl 036 that I just didn't have time to deal with. Stihl dealer told me P&C was shot, and the repair would be well over $300. Compression didn't feel low to me. Pulled the plug and muffler and everything looked fine. Compression check showed 150 psi. Threw in a new spark plug and have cut 6 cords of hickory with it since it with no hiccups.

Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar, Jonsred, and Echo all make good equipment, but they also each make junk. Another option is Makita. As I recall, Makita, Dolmar, and Jonsred are nearly identical. Their high end saws are generally durable, but their lower end stuff tends to have problems. I'm not aware of anyone who makes dependable "home owner" equipment anymore. It's all moved to Chinese disposable junk because no one is willing to spend good money on something they don't have to depend on, and some people aren't willing to spend money on things the DO depend on.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Glad im not the only one that knows about the Dolmar secret.:rockwoot: Only other saw id buy other than Stihl.

The only reason I know about Sachs Dolmar is because of this guy. He's a hoot.

[video=youtube_share;feuGXXU1QlM]https://youtu.be/feuGXXU1QlM[/video]

I've learned a lot about the physics of tree felling watching his channel.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

Dolmar's 7900 is a BEAST of a saw. Right up there with a Husky 372 as the GOAT, IMHO.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Chainsaws are a lot like cars.....a lot of how long they run depends on how well we take care of them.

Well, you heard wrong.;)

Seriously, this like arguing Ford vs Chevy, 9mm vs .45, of John Deere vs everything else.

Both companies make a great saw. I'll personally never own a Stihl because my local dealer sucks. I bought a Husqvarna because their local dealer is awesome.

I have been feeding a very hungry outdoor boiler for 12 years with only one saw, a Husqvarna 359. It's been reliable without fail, even though it's far from "stock" at this point.

That said, for somebody looking for a new saw, as a casual wood cutter, I'd look long and hard at the Echo 590. I know a few people who have them and they love them. 60cc is great size, and a 5 year warranty is tough to beat.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    If you are getting the Stihl I would add the quick bar adjustment addition rather than the basic nuts.

Way easier to change out chains or tighten a loose one. I think it's an option on many of their saws just like the quick start thing. I actually like that. Just slowly pull up the handle and whoosh, it starts. I used mine yesterday after sitting for almost 2 years. Second pull started and ripped through some dead walnut.

Other thing I did was get a chipper blade v. the one the saws come with. More aggressive angle on the teeth and cuts much faster. Seems to stay sharp longer as well.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    get a 372xp and put a 20" bar on it and be done with it......the saw will last you and your family a life time.....

372 is a good all around saw. A buddy I used to log with ran a 372. I still run the grandpa to the 372, a 272xp. It has a ported cylinder, ported muffler and the timing is advanced. She screams with a 24" bar.

I have been running it alot as of late. The 385xp has my Alaskan mill mounted on it. It too has ported cylinder, muffler and timing advanced. With the mill attached it's running a 32" bar. With a 24" it's an animal.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Got my McColluch out yesterday, first time in 5 or 6 years maybe longer. Filled it with gas and oil but it did not want to start so for the first time since I have had it replaced the plug. Fired right up with the new plug, it was probably the plug that came in it new. Didn't get to do any cutting because the wife decided she wanted something else done.
    Good old saw for someone like me that needs a chainsaw just once in a while. Has some sentimental value also, it belonged to my step-dad who passed away in 1976, don't know how long he had it before he passed. Jim.

Top Bottom