• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Chainsaws are a lot like cars.....a lot of how long they run depends on how well we take care of them.

No disrespect intended or implied, but I,be treated my Stihl saws like crap for the last 20 years and they all still run great. I keep bar oil in them and always use Stihl 2 cycle oil to mix my fuel. I only clean the bar if I take the chain off for some reason which is rare. I file the chains about every other tank of fuel. I only cut about 6 cord a year, mostly hickory. The air filter area should be blown out after every use, but mine only gets cleaned a few times per year. Point is that saws are pretty durable so long as you don't ever use straight gas in them. Straight gasing is the most common cause of death for any good saw.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    As some people have said, there's not much difference between different brands. However, there can be a HUGE difference in chains. Having the right chain for your saw, and keeping it sharp will make all the difference in the world.

On that note, a few things/terms to know about chains.

Skip chain - every other tooth/cutter is missing. Useful on long bars to give more room for chip clearance.

Full comp - Normal chain that has all of its teeth.

Semi skip - between a skip and full comp

Full chisel - cutter profile has a sharp corner on it. The corner causes the leading edge to have a sharp point that penetrates into the wood a lot easier.
    Cuts faster, but also can be "grabby" so hang onto the saw (which should be obvious). Also, it dulls more in dirt or dirty wood. Normally marked as a professional chain because it is more prone to kickback if you hit the tip on something.

Semi chisel - the sharp corner is rounded. Doesn't dull as fast in dirty wood. Kickback is reduced.

Safety chain - cutter profile is even more curved and drag links have a hump profile to reduce kickback. These normally come on a home owner saw. All but worthless. If you are used to using a sharp full chisel chain, you will swear something is wrong when you try a safety chain. It will seem like you've hit a rock and dulled your chain.

My preferred setup for most saws is a .325 full chisel chain. This chain has the narrowest kerf which makes it faster than other chains of the same length. 3 of my 4 saws run 18" bars with .325 chain. My big saw runs a 28" bar with .404 chain.

In general 40-50 cc saws run best with 16" bars. 50-60 cc saws can pull 18" bars with no noticable loss in performance. 70cc and up generally run at least a 24" bar, but sometimes much longer. They can all run longer bars, but they will be at least a little slower. How long of a bar they can actually run depends on how much oil the saw can put on the bar.

Another word of advice. Think about what might by IN the tree - fence, rocks, bullets, ECT. We even found a ceramic insulator once. Totally ruined that chain.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    No disrespect intended or implied, but I,be treated my Stihl saws like crap for the last 20 years and they all still run great. I keep bar oil in them and always use Stihl 2 cycle oil to mix my fuel. I only clean the bar if I take the chain off for some reason which is rare. I file the chains about every other tank of fuel. I only cut about 6 cord a year, mostly hickory. The air filter area should be blown out after every use, but mine only gets cleaned a few times per year. Point is that saws are pretty durable so long as you don't ever use straight gas in them. Straight gasing is the most common cause of death for any good saw.
    I think your definition of “treated like crap” and others might be a little different.

Leaving ethanol mixed gas in a saw for months on end is a sure way to choke most any carburetor or split a fuel line, regardless of make.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    My saws get fuel left in them for months on end with no problems. I mix 2 gal at a time and that normally lasts me over a year. Maybe the newer saws are more problematic, but my 024, 026, 036, and 064 don't seem to care. My dad has an 028 that only gets run about once a year, also no problems.

Last edited:

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I agree with the STIHL professional grade saws. I rock the 261 which can be found used for $300 all day. I run it with both 18" and 20" bars/chains. My favorite saw is the 180 with a 16" picco chain. It's so light and easy to use I grab it 9 out of 10 times

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    I bought a Stihl MS311 about five years ago, it's been great. Throw away the stupid safety chain they come with and get the full chisel. Husqvarna makes good stuff too, I had a husky 61 before this and it was pretty worn out when I bought it and still ran for years.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Almost all the problems people have with chainsaws is the engine.

Thus, I'd be inclined this direction:

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XCU03PT1

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....you brought a battery powered trimmer into a chainsaw thread.

My 66 year old mother uses one for clearing smaller trees and cutting branches, but me I will stick to something that works for cutting cords of wood.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    So I did end up with the Stihl ms 291. I’ve used the hell out of it the last few weeks. Absolutely love it. Same weight as the 271 with a little more power. Also got the 94 R weed eater and the bg86 blower. I’m officially a Stihl fanboy. They’re all awesome.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....you brought a battery powered trimmer into a chainsaw thread.

My 66 year old mother uses one for clearing smaller trees and cutting branches, but me I will stick to something that works for cutting cords of wood.

You need to catch up a bit on the times. A saw like this basically replaces a 30cc-class saw:

https://youtu.be/9Jo9UsvY6Tc

These literally aren't your grandmother's saw.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Who has the biggest chainsaw?

These guys...

A Chain Just Cut Through A Capsized Cargo Ship Filled With Cars And The Process Is Fascinating

gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAAAAACH5BAEKAAEALAAAAAABAAEAAAICTAEAOw==
    bd7mkcegwtp4kyjlnamq.png

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    You need to catch up a bit on the times. A saw like this basically replaces a 30cc-class saw:

https://youtu.be/9Jo9UsvY6Tc

These literally aren't your grandmother's saw.

Is he wearing shorts and untied boots running that battery powered chainsaw?

I do have one now. A Works 16in battery one. It has moments I find it useful,but it is not a chainsaw that I would try to fell a tree with.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I have the Stihl MS181c. It has a primer button and the easy start. Came with a case. It’s a 16” bar though, but it is the top of the line in the homeowners saws. I got it at Reynolds for just over 400 bucks.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I have a stihl ms170 which i've had decent luck with. Saw comes standard with 16 in bar but I chose a 14. Maybe i'm mistaken but I just feel that the engine can pull a 14 in chain a little better. I've never felt at a disadvantge when using small saw. I also have a husq rancher. It's much bigger but I feel its a much better saw. Has prime and what I consider the biggest plus for starting. Compression release. Sure makes it much easier to pull. I havent had any leak issues with mine so far. It is a cutting machine.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I have the Stihl MS181c. It has a primer button and the easy start. Came with a case. It’s a 16” bar though, but it is the top of the line in the homeowners saws. I got it at Reynolds for just over 400 bucks.

Good saw! Bought one a few years ago and it is about all I use anymore. Light enough to use for a afternoon but still powerful enough to take care of business. Got an old 047 that I used to use but it was really too much saw for my purposes since I mostly just used it for cutting up storm downed trees and limbs.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Hey guys. I’m in the market for a chainsaw. It looks like the last thread on this was a few years old so I figured I would start a new one to get some reviews for newer models.

I have about 5 large trees down that I need to take care of and some other logs laying around I’ll probably clean up. After that, it’ll probably be used a few times a year. I’m looking at 20” bar models. I’m not really looking for a pro series saw. I was hoping to be around $300 but I’m not finding much that looks very good in that price range so I’m hoping to stay around $400 unless there is something less expensive that works well. Wanting to see what others have had good luck with. Leaning between Husqvarna and Stihl right now. What works for INGO?

I have three (3) Stihls and will never own another brand. I first bought a MS 290 Farm Boss with a 20" bar and still have that saw 13 years later. I about 5 years ago bought a 020AV top handle saw and still own it. I am awaiting the electronic ignition conversion but its a fantastic saw. The Saturday after Thanksgiving I bought a MS362 with a 25" bar. The 290 has been a beast and the only reason I went with the 362 is the power difference from the farm/ranch/homeowner saw to a Pro size saw. The power difference is amazing. The 362 is better balanced and weighs best I can tell the same as the 290. The best tip I can give you is buy multiple chains and rotate them through use and sharpen.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Chainsaws are a lot like cars.....a lot of how long they run depends on how well we take care of them.

Ha, well I promise you none of my saws are babied nor treated like most people would and they don't fail me. The electronic ignition upgrade on my 020AV is purely for easier starting.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Is he wearing shorts and untied boots running that battery powered chainsaw?

I do have one now. A Works 16in battery one. It has moments I find it useful,but it is not a chainsaw that I would try to fell a tree with.
    I have the eGo chainsaw. It works great for what I need one for.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Got my McColluch out yesterday, first time in 5 or 6 years maybe longer. Filled it with gas and oil but it did not want to start so for the first time since I have had it replaced the plug. Fired right up with the new plug, it was probably the plug that came in it new. Didn't get to do any cutting because the wife decided she wanted something else done.
    Good old saw for someone like me that needs a chainsaw just once in a while. Has some sentimental value also, it belonged to my step-dad who passed away in 1976, don't know how long he had it before he passed. Jim.

We used an old McCulloch saw on our farm and it was a beast. I wish I could find one like it.

Top Bottom