• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    No disrespect intended or implied, but I,be treated my Stihl saws like crap for the last 20 years and they all still run great. I keep bar oil in them and always use Stihl 2 cycle oil to mix my fuel. I only clean the bar if I take the chain off for some reason which is rare. I file the chains about every other tank of fuel. I only cut about 6 cord a year, mostly hickory. The air filter area should be blown out after every use, but mine only gets cleaned a few times per year. Point is that saws are pretty durable so long as you don't ever use straight gas in them. Straight gasing is the most common cause of death for any good saw.

I'm gonna tell on myself here as it was recent and I've probably used saws for at least 30 of my 46 years of life.

The week before Thanksgiving I was using my 290 and put gas in it that I thought I had pre-mixed for my 020AV (40:1 saw) well I fire it off and go to dropping a 24" across tree the saw stopped and wouldn't refire. The power had never dropped it just stopped. I fired up the 020AV and ran it until it ran out of fuel trying to get this half cut through tree on the ground. Filled the 020 up with the same fuel I put in the 290. Before I went back with the 020 I attempted the 290 again and it fired right off. So I put it back to work and dropped the tree, but not before it stopped running again. Suspicious of what was going on I pulled the plug and looked in the cylinder, nothing seemed or looked amiss. I suddenly had a oh no moment and dipped a white paper towel in the gas. The paper towel didn't show an oil line on it and my stomach sank. I looked up some cylinder kits and started shopping for a new saw thinking I had ruined my 290. I went and bought the new bigger saw and had resigned myself to just rebuilding the saw. The stihl dealer suggested just refueling it and running it. His position was "you can't hurt it anymore" I have since fueled it and it runs just fine. Moral of the story is just cause you screw up with fuel/oil doesn't mean your saw is junk.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Stihl hands down. As others have said, get rid of the safety chain, it's horrible. Useless.

I run a MS211c with a 16" bar. I'd have to check the exact chain I use.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I bought a Stihl MS250 this year. So far I am happy with it. I am running the premixed Still motomix fuel. Its a lil expensive but I figure I will only use the saw a few times a year so it's worth it to keep carb from gumming up.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2015
    boone county
    i dont burn a ton of wood. usually around 1 full cord each winter. i have a MS 271 and love it. im a few years ahead on wood and try to stay that way and the stihl handles everything i need it too and more.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have a Dewalt 60v unit. No, mixing gas, fighting to start it, maintinance, etc. (Im a homeowner, not a daily tree cutter and also have a full Dewalt setup so it made sense). Also for anyone who thinks battery saws are for the birds it whooped up on a stihl MS 170 gas saw, just sayin lol.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aBZt8m1XkQ

Do you have any problems with the oil leaking out?

I was considering one, especially after I bought the 60v weed whacker. But I have heard they get messy.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Do you have any problems with the oil leaking out?

I was considering one, especially after I bought the 60v weed whacker. But I have heard they get messy.

Every saw I've ever been around will leak the bar oil out. Dump the tank before storage and slip a sheet of cardboard under it to catch any residual.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think your definition of “treated like crap” and others might be a little different.

Leaving ethanol mixed gas in a saw for months on end is a sure way to choke most any carburetor or split a fuel line, regardless of make.

This is why I always buy ethanol free gasoline for my chainsaws, mowers and other motorized tools.
    I get my ethanol free gasoline in Lebanon at the COUNTRYMARK station.
    They have one pump for it.

I have a Stihl MS 460 Magnum and a Stihl MS 201 TC-M chainsaws.

I mix using the Stihl synthetic mix and I've had mix that lasted through 2 seasons, into a third before running out and it was still good.
    I keep the mix in an air tight gas can.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    This is why I always buy ethanol free gasoline for my chainsaws, mowers and other motorized tools.
    I get my ethanol free gasoline in Lebanon at the COUNTRYMARK station.
    They have one pump for it.

I have a Stihl MS 460 Magnum and a Stihl MS 201 TC-M chainsaws.

I mix using the Stihl synthetic mix and I've had mix that lasted through 2 seasons, into a third before running out and it was still good.
    I keep the mix in an air tight gas can.

CountryMark Premium is usually ethanol free.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    [h=1]Food Mart Bargersville Marathon Gas Station[/h]

[h=1]MK Food Mart Bargersville Marathon Gas Station[/h]
    It has two pumps off to the side that are "off road only". Ethanol free.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I sell Stihl chainsaws. I had the opportunity to visit Bryan Equipment, the Stihl distributor for the Midwest back in March. Got to run just about everything they had, including this MS880 with a 48" bar.

[FONT=&quot]
    unvkSoX.jpg
    [/FONT]

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    i dont burn a ton of wood. usually around 1 full cord each winter. i have a MS 271 and love it. im a few years ahead on wood and try to stay that way and the stihl handles everything i need it too and more.

We've got the MS 271 also, I really like this saw. It runs well considering we put it through the gauntlet maintaining our 30 wooded acres. I wasn't a fan of the weight of the saw and struggled to get it to start, just couldn't get the muscle up to get that done and was worn out before we ran out of daylight. We added a MS 180CE last December and I can run that thing comfortably for hours. I'm not a fan of the thinner bar or less aggressive chain (mine needs sharpened badly) but the ease of using that saw makes for a good afternoon with a crap ton of work done.

Side note: I've watched a few videos on the new fuel injected saw from STIHL (MS 500i) and I'm intrigued. It's far heavier so won't be for me but might have to replace the Farm Boss in a few years and this one might be the ticket. We've got some truly massive standing dead that need to come down before they fall down. The best way to keep a forest healthy is to get the dead out so the floor gets sunlight and more new growth pops up; just not looking forward to that part of the work. I don't cringe when he drops live or newly dead trees, but the ones that have been standing a minute can be very unpredictable. I like the extra power this monster offers, and the faster the work to drop it is done the safer everyone can be. Just in the early stages of researching but definitely watching and reading the early reviews coming out about it.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    We've got the MS 271 also, I really like this saw. It runs well considering we put it through the gauntlet maintaining our 30 wooded acres. I wasn't a fan of the weight of the saw and struggled to get it to start, just couldn't get the muscle up to get that done and was worn out before we ran out of daylight. We added a MS 180CE last December and I can run that thing comfortably for hours. I'm not a fan of the thinner bar or less aggressive chain (mine needs sharpened badly) but the ease of using that saw makes for a good afternoon with a crap ton of work done.

Side note: I've watched a few videos on the new fuel injected saw from STIHL (MS 500i) and I'm intrigued. It's far heavier so won't be for me but might have to replace the Farm Boss in a few years and this one might be the ticket. We've got some truly massive standing dead that need to come down before they fall down. The best way to keep a forest healthy is to get the dead out so the floor gets sunlight and more new growth pops up; just not looking forward to that part of the work. I don't cringe when he drops live or newly dead trees, but the ones that have been standing a minute can be very unpredictable. I like the extra power this monster offers, and the faster the work to drop it is done the safer everyone can be. Just in the early stages of researching but definitely watching and reading the early reviews coming out about it.

You should look at the MS 261. It's by far my favorite saw.
    MS 271 Farm boss = 3.5 hp @12.3 lbs
    MS 261 = 4.0 hp @ 10.8 lbs

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    You should look at the MS 261. It's by far my favorite saw.
    MS 271 Farm boss = 3.5 hp @12.3 lbs
    MS 261 = 4.0 hp @ 10.8 lbs

Our next horse in the stable needs to have a 28-32" bar. I'm currently thinking that it will be an MS 462, I told OG what the retail on that 500i is (if you can find one).

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Our next horse in the stable needs to have a 28-32" bar. I'm currently thinking that it will be an MS 462, I told OG what the retail on that 500i is (if you can find one).

Yeah, yeah, yeah, words words words [waves her hand dismissively]. I'm not gonna stand there watching you wrestle an underpowered saw through a 30" diameter tree again. There are tasks that can be done by any available tool and there are tasks that require the appropriate tool for the job; this is the latter.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

Good choice. I have several commercial tree cutters as customers who swear by the MS 462. Most of them like it better than the MS 660.

I got a couple MS 500i's in stock at our store, but they went fast. I'm still on the fence as to my opinion. Fuel injection isn't new to Stihl. They have been doing it for a while on their TS 500i cutoff saw. I just think that for the price vs. power, the MS 462 would be a better option.

Top Bottom