• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Hey guys. I’m in the market for a chainsaw. It looks like the last thread on this was a few years old so I figured I would start a new one to get some reviews for newer models.

I have about 5 large trees down that I need to take care of and some other logs laying around I’ll probably clean up. After that, it’ll probably be used a few times a year. I’m looking at 20” bar models. I’m not really looking for a pro series saw. I was hoping to be around $300 but I’m not finding much that looks very good in that price range so I’m hoping to stay around $400 unless there is something less expensive that works well. Wanting to see what others have had good luck with. Leaning between Husqvarna and Stihl right now. What works for INGO?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Stihl. Full stop. Buy once cry once.

I know they dont make them like they used to, but I've got one I inherited from my dad. Its so old the bar is stamped "Made in West Germany." Still runs like nobody's business.

I've heard Husqs are OK, though not as durable. You would probably be OK with one of those if you are just going to do occasional cuts/trims after this batch.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Stihl... I have lots of outdoor gas equipment including weed eaters, edgers, leaf blowers and chainsaws. We always buy Stihl. Lots of dealers and parts are readily available.

One caveat to that. ONLY buy Stihl professional grade. (more expensive orange and white) I have a neighbor that bought into the "Stihl is always great" and bought several of their cheap consumer grade all white equipment. It all suffers from the same poor quality parts that big box store equipment like Troy Bilt does; works great the first year, after that, good luck getting it started and running reliably.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I tell ya'll what, the last chainsaw Dad had before they moved up here was an Efco (made in Italy.) It was set up to run on aviation gas and would flat-out saw some wood. I had a bud who was from South Carolina who said, "When you think about Italy, you think about food, and wine, and sports cars, and women, you don't think about chainsaws. Do they know what a chainsaw is?" They must've had an American explain chainsaws to them is all I can say.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I have dropped 53 trees since November 1 (mostly dead ash trees, but one Osage and one maple). All of that has been done with a Stihl 271.

I also have a 53cc Jonsered that is now old enough to buy its own drinks, but that thing is heavy. In the past I've only used that beast when working on Osage trees, but the 271 has been good enough that I haven't had the Jonsered out at all in over a year.

Only about 15 more trees to go.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I tell ya'll what, the last chainsaw Dad had before they moved up here was an Efco (made in Italy.) It was set up to run on aviation gas and would flat-out saw some wood. I had a bud who was from South Carolina who said, "When you think about Italy, you think about food, and wine, and sports cars, and women, you don't think about chainsaws. Do they know what a chainsaw is?" They must've had an American explain chainsaws to them is all I can say.

I have an small Echo I bought at Lowe's in 2005 and it won't quit. I've neglected the hell out of it and it just keeps ticking. Original spark plug is still in it, has never seen Sta-bil or any attempt at properly storing it and it sat unused for 3 years at one point. Pulled it out of the case, put some fresh fuel in it, primed it 4 or 5 times and it fired right up.

When I decide I need a bigger saw I'll be buying a Stihl but that old Echo has turned out to be a great saw.

ETA: Oops., just looked again and saw that you didn't say Echo :):, don't have my readers on :cool:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The big question is, do you need to deal with the stumps, or do you only need to fell and/or buck trees that are already down? If you need to get stumps to near ground level where they can be ground, occasional access to a 25" bar is invaluable.

If that's not an issue, then you want the Stihl 271. It'll run you more like $450 at Rural King, but you won't regret it. I have that plus the low-end MS171, and they are great saws. I am an exception to those who will knock the low-end Stihl saws. I have used the 16" 171 to cut up 3 medium-large trees (for this area) in 3 years, and actually haven't needed the heavier one all that much. It's significantly lighter than the 271, a real consideration for me on long days, and is adequately powered if you sharpen the chain frequently (maybe even a couple times in a day if you're working in tough material). I have not babied these saws, and do no special winter prep whatsoever.

I would not hesitate to get the 271, but depending how much work you're going to do, also consider a smaller saw to save wear and tear on you. The MS 171 is $170 every day at Rural King and I know I have certainly gotten more than that amount of value out of mine. Best dollar for dollar investment out there. Even though it's their lowest model, it is on its 3rd chain and still going strong, never given me a problem.

(Their edgers and trimmers are no slouch either).

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Stihl gets my vote as well. I have an MS 391 for large cuts and a 193 T for limbing. Both run very well.

Lost 2 slightly older Stihls to an F****ing thief couple of years ago.

When the tornado hit our town 15 years ago the only chainsaw I could find 40 miles away was a Homelite. Believe it or not it still runs like a champ. Use it for dirty work where the potential for hitting rocks/dirt.

Don

Last edited:

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I gonna be the outlier on this thread, I have 4 Husqvarna saws, all XP models that run av gas.n ever a lick of trouble.

My brother gave me a Stihl BC it wouldn't run. I took it to the best saw shop in tristate area and got it going. He said it will quit working in future, sure enough it did.

Most timber companies run Husqvarna.

Call D&D enterprises in Salem, In. Pick their brain on saws.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I was a dyed in the wool Stihl owner. Owned several and used the crap out of them all.

Was looking for a saw for my son-in-law to use and he turned me on to Jonsered. Smaller package for the same power, less vibration and more workable rpm.

I'm not ready to get rid of my Stihls, but I will not purchase another small Stihl. For a smaller saw I would go with a Jonsered or a Husky and run AV gas with synthetic oil on ALL of them.

Pump gas is any saws enemy. Your gas lines will crack and suck air making it difficult to start and run. This is why so many saws 'run great the first year' and can't start the second season.

Most honest repairmen will tell you they make bank from working on Stihl, that is why all those parts are out there and so available. Could the average repairman afford to keep a whole inventory without a turn over?

What use you describe to me screams Jonsered or Husky, but whatever you get use the AV fuel...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    When working with chainsaws, the best advice you can get it to use the SMALLEST saw that will do the job.
    It's safer, and won't wear you out prematurely.

I bought a Stihl MS 180c for right at $300 just a couple of years ago.
    It is their professional grade, but only a 16" bar.
    I have 50 acres to tend, and I haven't found it to be undersized yet.
    Just my opinion.
    YMMV

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I have a Stihl Farm Boss and an Echo 352. I wouldn’t trade the Echo for 10 farm boss’. The echo has been bullet proof and cuts cirlces around the Stihl. I’m not a brand loyal type guy...I want something that works and does what it’s suppose to, but for chainsaws I would not buy another Stihl.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have 2 Stihl professional grade saws. A 460 wiht 28 inch bar, and a 200T. We have ad Stihl saws as long as I can remember. The 200T is an amazing unit. The 460 (roughly 1k new) is a POS. I spend far more time adjusting the carb than cutting. If I had it to do over, I would have bought the 200T, but paid 1/2 the price for an Echo on the 460. I only use a chainsaw maybe 30 times a year so Im not a "everyday cutter", but I use them more than most people. All I really need is a saw that runs everytime I grab it, and the 460 is not that.

If it ran, I would prefer the 460 most of the time, even though its heavy, because the bar is long enough I dont have to bend over as much.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I’ve got a Farm Boss and it’s been a good saw. No complaints. But it’s heavy. For what I do, I wish I’d followed my brother’s advice and gotten a lighter one. He cuts wood for heat and he cuts a ton of it with a smaller, lighter saw.

I have a Husqvarna trimmer. And if their chainsaws are anything like that trimmer, I’d consider them. That thing ALWAYS starts on the second pull.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Looks like the best brands have been covered well in this thread.

I'd like to only add:
    Whichever you choose, maintain the bar and chain after each use.
    Keep bar oil level slightly higher than fuel level so you'll hope to run dry of fuel before your bar oil depletes.
    Obviously use quality gasoline and oil for the mix.
    And never loan it out to someone!

There are more caveats that I can't think of now, but those things will likely ensure your saw will be ready to rip when you need it (for a long long time).

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    The 271 is a good unit for the price point. For not a lot more money, the 291 is a better unit imo.

The ms261 is the pro grade saw in that 50cc class and it's worth every penny over both that I listed above. Lighter, faster, more power, and easier to work on.

A lot of dealers will give discounts if you ask and pay cash. I give 10% off on pro saws for example.

Whatever you buy, use high octane e free fuel only and quality 2 cycle oil.

Top Bottom