• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    He came in and lectured in my US Military History class. Got to speak to him briefly and he signed my textbook. I still treasure it. I was down there for the 81 championship. Quite the thrill.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    As a human, RIP. As a coach? Good riddance. No class and really, a terrible role model.

Anytime I hear someone make a comment like this, I remind them of the story of former IU player Landon Turner.

On the morning of July 26, 1981, Turner was driving on State Road 46 near Columbus, when his car lost control on a curve and flipped. Turner had not been wearing a seat belt when he crashed. He fractured his spine, leaving his legs permanently paralyzed.

Coach Knight, who was on a summer fishing vacation in Idaho, flew back to Indiana to be with Turner and his family. Turner stayed in hospital for four months before he returned to his parents' house. During his recovery, Turner and Knight developed a close relationship that was considered to be like that of a father and son.

Knight named Turner as team captain of the Hoosiers for the 1981–82 season. He also organized a national campaign to create the Landon Turner Trust Fund that helped raise $400,000 to pay for Turner's medical bills. The Boston Celtics honoured Turner by selecting him as the 225th and final selection of the 1982 NBA draft at the suggestion of Knight, who had mentioned it in a conversation with Celtics GM Red Auerbach. Auerbach stayed in contact with Turner and sent him two championship watches when the Celtics won the NBA Finals in 1984 and 1986.

Yep, you're right Twang... no class at all.

RIP Coach.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Really? How many if his student/athletes got in trouble, did not graduate, etc.? Sounds a good role model to me. By these standards Patton among others would not be good role models either…
    Your kids graduating sounds more like a "minimum" requirement, to me.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Oh, and…
    Bobby came to my 0830 military history class at IU, …
    He came in and lectured in my US Military History class. Got to speak to him briefly and he signed my textbook. I still treasure it. I was down there for the 81 championship. Quite the thrill.
    He probably gave more than one military history class lecture, but I was at IU from 78-82. I wonder …

You didn’t happen to get a guest lecture from Prof Reichmann about growing up in Nazi Germany that started with him holding up a vintage magazine cover with a portrait of Adolf and giving one of Adolf’s speeches, did you?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    … the story of former IU player Landon Turner.
    When Landon first rejoined the team after the accident and rehab, and was in his wheel chair, Knight walked in and saw him. His first words to Landon were to the effect “Get rid of that mustache!” that Landon had grown while healing. Team rule was no facial hair and Knight was letting him know he was definitely on the team and had to follow the rules.

Top Bottom