• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    There will never be another Bobby Knight. RIP Coach.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Even when I lived in Kentucky, I liked Bobby!! He was one of the great ones!!! RIP Bobby Knight, basketball and the world will miss you!!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So a Boston radio team called Dan Dakich trying to punk him, they asked who was a better coach, Knight or Belichick. He replied that he was not sure but he did know Bob Knight never went east to learn from Belichick. Then he explained how Bill Parcells sent all his assistant coaches, Belichick was one, to Knight to learn how to build a team and lead it...

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Sad. RIP Coach.

I grew up in Brown County and went to IU during the period when “Bobby Knight Indiana basketball” was all one word.

We were told the Coach Knight had one of my dad’s cartoons on the wall in his office. My dad drew some cartoons for the Brown County Democrat newspaper in Nashville way back when. In 1984 if I recall correctly was when the Russians boycotted the Summer Olympics in Los Angeles where Bobby would coach the US BB team, and there were nuclear arms limitation talks going on also. Dad penned a cartoon showing the Soviet negotiators agreeing to give up so many ICBMs if we would give up Bobby Knight. One of our fellow Brown Countians had a reason to visit Bobby’s office in Bloomington, and he saw that cartoon up on the wall and told us about it.

Oh, and…
    Bobby came to my 0830 military history class at IU, invited by the regular prof, and gave a lecture. I don’t remember exactly what it was about this many years later, but I do remember that there was a kid in the second row wearing an Ohio State sweatshirt. As soon as Knight got to the lectern he saw that sweatshirt and the first words out of his mouth were “that’s a hell of a thing to have to look at first thing in the morning.”

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    A guy that grew up down the street from me played for IU from 80 to 84, and used to get us tickets. We were drinking at his apartment after a game once and he said “yeah you never know when coach will show up, he does surprise visits and curfew checks”. We all decided to leave pretty quick.

When they got rid of him from IU, that’s pretty much when college basketball lost my attention, and I was never an IU fan.

RIP Coach.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    His most redeeming quality.

He loved Gene Keady who just won the final game.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Knight was sure a colorful character. He made things interesting. RIP General.

Top Bottom