• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vugger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Can anyone point me in the right direction of any Indiana restrictions for owning a .223 AR pistol. Been considering this for awhile and have not been able to turn up any restrictions.
    Thanks for the help!

vugger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    the only restrictions that i know of are no pistol grip and no buttstock... sorry though i dont have a link for y ou.

Thank you for the reply. When you say "no pistol grip" are you referring to a vertical forward grip on the hand rail? If so, is that not a federal restriction? I have seen some discussion lately on how some receiver extensions were crossing a line, as they were looking a lot like butt stocks.
    I am just not well versed in AR pistols and could use some education.
    Thanks!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The vertical foregrip makes it an AOW, does it not?

thats what i thought... i remember being on another forum and someone posted a pic of an AR pistol with a forward verticle grip just laid on the table under the AR where it COULD be attached... people hammered him saying that he could be charged with INTENT to break the law or manufacture and AOW.... i am pretty sure (all based on 3 diff forums) that you cannot add a verticle forward grip to ANY pistol.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I'd have to find the exact wording and I'm lazy, so I'll repeat it the way I was told.

The ATF considers a pistol to be shot with one hand, once there is a second grip it becomes an AOW.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    Perfectly legal in Indiana. Only one downside, and that is your will shoot it get tired of the pistol and spend another $200 and get the SBR you really want.

Unoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    :hijack:

maybe that should go in the Want To Buy thread.... the OP was asking questions about legalities, not asking what other people on the board were trying to build.

hey now, I'm sharing my idea that its legal becuase I myself is seeking the same route.

HEEL! HEEL boy

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    It's legal. use a buffer tube ONLY and try to get a pistol buffer tube. They are not made for stocks.

DO NOT put a vertical grip on the front. This makes it an AOW.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    you shouldn't buy a rifle extenstion for a pistol build. That would scream "intent" because it would simply take sliding a stock right on.

If you have an extra lying around, then maybe ok, but you probably have a stock lying around too and that's intent as far as I am concerned.

I can't tell you exactly what is allowed but I CAN tell you the SAFE way to go about this.

Actually, I recommend SBR. ;)

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    maybe ill call the ATF indy division and get an official ruling on this... tell them i cannot find a pistol buffer in stock but i have a rifle buffer laying around.... if they give me an official thumbs up they COOL.... also need to ask them about register my glock as an SBR so i can put one of those fun stocks on it, but lets not talk about that... i dont want to threadjack.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    get it in writing. you need to write a letter and have them return it with their own written letter.

as for the Glock, you can register one as an SBR and put a stock on it. Or, you can get a carbine upper with a 16" barrel or just get a 16" barrel if you use the stock...

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    If the original question is about IN law, the answer is there is none so you will not find it.

However, the federal law is that a pistol cannot have a foregrip or a buttstock. If it has a foregrip it becomes an AOW. If it has a buttstock it becomes an SBR. IF you have an item that could make your pistol into either of the above, and if you have no other provable use for it (i.e. another rifle for that specific item to be attached to), THEN you open yourself up to a constructive intent charge. Seeing as that charge is rather subjective, be careful.

And finally, any dealings with the ATF must happen via letter. It is the only form of communications that they will respect and hold by (and even then they can renege).

If you want an AR pistol, get one. If you want to build an SBR and want to enjoy shooting it with a short upper while you wait for the paperwork to clear, then buy a pistol. If you want something with a foregrip, then buy a pre-made AOW since the tax stamp is far cheaper. If you want something with a buttstock, get a rifle.

Top Bottom