• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I first did keto 6 years ago for 7-8 months and dropped 54 lbs... I was looking at having to move up to 40 inch waist pants as my 38s were painfully tight. Now 34 waist. At the time, I only did it because my wife (then GF) was doing Profile, so me being keto supported her.

Now, I do keto 3-4 months each year at the beginning of the year, both to shed the holiday (and fall birthday) pounds, and also to ween off insulin for a couple months.

No more mid-afternoon "low sugar" shakes.

No more falling asleep at 7-8 pm due to carb/crash coma.

Pretty sure with the above and my old weight I was insulin-resistant, on my way to diabetes, but never had A1C tested back then. But, I also never had anything close to normal triglyceride levels prior to keto, even when I played basketball twice a week, ran/walked 25 miles a week, was "normal" BMI which for my frame looked scrawny, and my only carbs were "complex" (whole wheat, brown rice) with only red meat once a month. Still, alarmingly high triglycerides! Doc went through the whole list... yup to every last one of them. Well, it must be genetics, sez he, lol!

Now with keto, my A1C measured every July (well after my annual keto stint) is stellar. Good triglyceride levels for the first time in my life, even if I've been lazy on the exercise.

And, on keto, I eat reasonable portions... not because I measure them out, but because I eat a portion then am no longer hungry and just stop. No will-power battle, lol! No "I could eat a horse" hunger cravings.
    What about alcohol? I drink beer but not a ton.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The press loved to demonize the Atkins diet, which I believe to be the genesis of the keypad/low carb diets. I remember seeing a morning news show gasping in horror that there was a diet that you could eat "all the bacon you wanted". I also remember thinking it was cool I could eat all the bacon I wanted! Then I started the diet, virtually no carbs for a 2 week cleanse, then adding back in quality vegetable carbs. The fat guy I was could eat a pound of bacon, after a month a couple of strips were very satisfying.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I believe in the concept of satiation, meaning feeling satisfied, I use heavy cream in my coffee, real butter, etc. I Generally recommend not using all the "cheat" foods created by companies and focusing on whole real foods. Learn to make your own cheats from whole foods. It is healthy and satisfying...

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I’m not obese but I have packed on some weight that I would like to get rid of and I know I need to change my diet. Trying to cut out soda and junk food and eat better. I’d seen that add for the pills and wondered if anyone had tried it and had any results or reactions.
    YMMV... I'm a carb-addict.

If I eat one or two rolls at Texas Roadhouse, I'm going to eat 4 or 5, my whole steak, all my sides, and anything my wife has left. Chocolate cake? Maybe. Those rolls make "hungry" feel like "starved", and only physically "stuffed" feels satiated, if that makes any sense.

On keto, I'll eat half my steak, a side of aspargus or some such green, maybe a side of mozzarella and tomatoes in olive oil (caprese)... with a beer... and then I'm done. Happy as a clam with half a steak left over for lunch the next day to boot! Zero will-power battle.

The first 4-7 days with near zero carbs is tough. But after that, it's easy. You'd be amazed how sweet a regular old red delicious apples tastes without all the sugar and white flower in the diet "dulling" your sense of sweet.

I wouldn't push keto on anyone, but would advocate going 4-7 days without any sugar, white flour, simple starches/sugars (rice, potatoes, bananas, oranges, etc) and processed foods. That's about what it takes to get off the sugar/insulin rollcoaster.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    What about alcohol? I drink beer but not a ton.
    First week, no.

After that, a beer or two, especially if with a meal, no problem. A lot of guys do Mich Ultra for the lowest carbs... I prefer full flavor Amstel or Modelo Dark.

The first week or so, you're "starving" your body of carbs to get it to switch metabolism... the normal published number is 20 grams IIRC. Basically, you are trying to flush your liver of all the glycol (sugar plus water) stores. It's not unusual to see a 6-8 lb weight loss the first week... note that most of this is water from the glycol.

Drink plenty of water - stay hydrated - or your body will try to hold onto that water thinking you're dehydrated.

After that initial period, you are avoiding eating too many carbs to switch back to insulin/blood sugar metabolism. Generally, 60 grams is considered safe.

Personally, I don't count. Until I'm in ketosis (test pee sticks), I avoid most carbs (except green veggies). After that, I have apple, strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, some beans, etc along with veggies in the diet. And, yeah, several times a week, a beer with dinner. :) THOSE you need to portion control... like INGOMike mentioned, "all the bacon you want to eat" turns out to be 2-3 slices and your happy with it. Sounds crazy but it is absolutely true.

And, most people have several days of what feels like a mild body "flu"... it's even nicknamed "keto flu". This is when your body is switching metabolism gears and it passes after 2-4 days. My first time, it was very noticeable and on the longer end as I had been sugar/insulin for 50 years to that point. Second year, less... this time, my 6th, more like the "blahs" for a couple days.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    YMMV... I'm a carb-addict.

If I eat one or two rolls at Texas Roadhouse, I'm going to eat 4 or 5, my whole steak, all my sides, and anything my wife has left. Chocolate cake? Maybe. Those rolls make "hungry" feel like "starved", and only physically "stuffed" feels satiated, if that makes any sense.

On keto, I'll eat half my steak, a side of aspargus or some such green, maybe a side of mozzarella and tomatoes in olive oil (caprese)... with a beer... and then I'm done. Happy as a clam with half a steak left over for lunch the next day to boot! Zero will-power battle.

The first 4-7 days with near zero carbs is tough. But after that, it's easy. You'd be amazed how sweet a regular old red delicious apples tastes without all the sugar and white flower in the diet "dulling" your sense of sweet.

I wouldn't push keto on anyone, but would advocate going 4-7 days without any sugar, white flour, simple starches/sugars (rice, potatoes, bananas, oranges, etc) and processed foods. That's about what it takes to get off the sugar/insulin rollcoaster.

This has been my experience twice before and needs to be again. LOL

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Here's another longtime favorite... either per the recipe, or if short on time, just use your favorite poultry/pork rub (Butt Rub is great, lol!) instead.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Years ago, I got up to 290#. I'm 6'3", so I wasn't Rascal-scooter material at that weight. I went on South Beach which is a ketogenic diet that takes inspiration from Mediterranean foods. It worked. In about 18 months, I lost almost 100 lbs., ending up at 192#. I got lax and over the course of about 10 years, I gain back a little under half of that weight.

I knew the path back and hit it hard this past August. Rather than a specific name diet, I have just eliminated sugar and grains. I will eat cake and ice cream on an immediate family member's birthday or a holiday...but you can eat nearly anything under 10 times a year and not have adversely affect you. My A1C is in the "normal" range and my other numbers are good. I am within a few weeks of dipping below 200# again.

I have all of this energy and seldom feel hungry...and this goes well with my new-found smoked meat hobby.

Vinnie Tortorich is my food guru. He has been on the Adam Carolla podcast and made a film called: "Fat: A Documentary" which explains the high protein and fat, no sugar no grain stuff quiet well. It is on Amazon Prime. I hear he is working on "Fat II".

Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    Yes, love it. My and my wife started again on 1-2. Working great for us. I am at the point now where I am never hungry and have to remind myself to eat something.

I am starting out quite heavy. Dropped the first 25#s so far. I know mostly water but feeling much better.

I have a physical job but have not started any cardio yet. Thinking about picking up a stationary recumbent bike to keep it a little easier on the joints. Any other tips on exercise?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I made a cheesey sausage & jap bread for dinner tonight. Came out really good. I used a pre-made mix of almond & coconut flour & added the rest myself.

While I'm not in keto right now, it's turned into a life style. It lets me splurge on a carb once in a while without feeling totally guilty.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    At least for me, once I'm in the keto groove, after the first couple weeks, some "treats" help.

A protein smoothie with mixed berries is a good one... raspberries, blackberries and strawberries are the lowest carb fruits, and I happen to love mixed berries, so that works out well.

I also like blueberries, but they are higher carb, adjacent to apples and near bananas, so very sparingly and count the carbs on those. I like them fresh with a few strawberries, or freeze the fresh ones, and have a small handful as a treat.

Also, when I "have" to have some ice cream, but it's not "cheat" time, Breyer's Carb Smart is my go to... I like the chocolate/almond coated bars and the chocolate tub ice cream. Both taste like decent regular ice cream treats... BUT they do have sugar alcohols, so use in moderation because if you overdo it, they tend to be laxative.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    From what I understand of a friend pr two doing this (one is an athlete), youre making a permanent choice since youre making your body process differently. Switching back after you lose the weight you want will just reverse your progress no?
    Hasn't for me but I eat many fewer carbs now than before.

I did it for about 2 months and lost 25lbs. Mostly kept it off but have added 10lbs of Corona weight I and now trying to get back off doing keto.

My problem is the drinking....

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The benefits of no sugar/no grains a/k/a low carb are well known.

What is a bit "wild west" is slapping the name "keto" on a bunch of highly processed foods that attempt to be low carb in some way other than simply not being foods that have few or no carbs naturally.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    The benefits of no sugar/no grains a/k/a low carb are well known.

What is a bit "wild west" is slapping the name "keto" on a bunch of highly processed foods that attempt to be low carb in some way other than simply not being foods that have few or no carbs naturally.
    I'm with you, Hough... almost everything we eat is meat, cheese, veggies, fruits, etc. Either no, or minimal (I'm thinking bacon), processing.

My low carb ice cream is the processed food exception. :)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Hey, none of are going to be 100% all the time. We just shouldn't fool ourselves that something labeled "keto" means its healthy and actually low-carb.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I just eat every day foods that are low in carbs, meats and veggies.

I try to stay under 30 carbs a day.

Most canned veggies are under ten carbs if you divide them into 1/4ths. this is a bit under a 1/2 cup. Margaret Holms brand southern style seasoned vegies are my favorite.

I will have a 5 or 6 oz. steak or chop with a portion of vegies for two meals a day.

I have lost 35 lbs. and gotten my insulin down to 30/30 from 80/80.

Top Bottom