• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I think "Keto" is the wild, wild west. Kinda like Indiana weather, just wait, and it will change.
    "Keto" is pretty straightforward: it is a delicate, metabolic state in which the body produces a hormonal response to induce lipolysis to produce ketone bodies for energy in the absence of dietary carbohydrate.

Can that be done with both processed and whole foods? Yes. Both modern and primal/paleo foods? Yes. Do those things matter? Probably - but they don't change the mechanics involved in inducing metabolic ketosis.

Personally, I stick as much as possible to whole foods. The only thing close to processed food that I eat with any frequency are pork skins. I've mostly dropped even mayo and salad dressing from regular consumption, because I have otherwise cut out all vegetable/seed oils (highly inflammatory), but really don't like the taste of commercial, avocado oil-based dressings. (Might experiment with making my own.)

But, I do those things as part of a strategy to reduce inflammation - a strategy that coincides with, but is separate from, keto.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    "Keto" is pretty straightforward: it is a delicate, metabolic state in which the body produces a hormonal response to induce lipolysis to produce ketone bodies for energy in the absence of dietary carbohydrate.

Can that be done with both processed and whole foods? Yes. Both modern and primal/paleo foods? Yes. Do those things matter? Probably - but they don't change the mechanics involved in inducing metabolic ketosis.

Personally, I stick as much as possible to whole foods. The only thing close to processed food that I eat with any frequency are pork skins. I've mostly dropped even mayo and salad dressing from regular consumption, because I have otherwise cut out all vegetable/seed oils (highly inflammatory), but really don't like the taste of commercial, avocado oil-based dressings. (Might experiment with making my own.)

But, I do those things as part of a strategy to reduce inflammation - a strategy that coincides with, but is separate from, keto.
    Having a nice cheeseburger salad, as I read this. Homemade avocado oil mayo.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    Looking into Keto/Paleo while backpacking seems to be really expensive unless you dehydrate your own stuff. The hardest part isn't the meals, but the snacks while hiking.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I started keto a year ago at 234# and am down to 202. On my way to 190-195.

The med charts say that I should be at about 180# for my age and height - 6’ but I think that is too lean for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Having a nice cheeseburger salad, as I read this. Homemade avocado oil mayo.
    What avocado oil do you use? I have two types of MCT oil, but other than if used very sparing, it would be way too expensive to use to make mayo.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Looks like 2021 is off to a good start, and continuing my trend from 2020. I'm down another 11 lbs for the month, and am now officially no longer obese. (I am close to hitting 230 - a weight I've not seen in over 15 years.)

Overall, I'm down over 60 lbs (294 - 232), BMI down from 37.8 - 29.9, BF% down from 40% - 27.4%, and Visceral Fat rating down from 18 - 12. (The latter means that I've reduced my visceral fat area by 50%, which is especially important for reversing insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, diabetes symptoms, etc.)

At this trend, I'll be very close to hitting my first goal (220) by the end of February. Whenever I do hit that, I'll reevaluate for a final goal. But, I'm thinking it will probably be somewhere in the 180 - 190 range. That will still be fairly high on BMI, but I cannot imagine healthfully getting below about that range.

I need to start working on adding lean mass, particularly upper body. Next month, when I get my bonus, instead of adding to my gun collection, I'm going to get an X3 Bar (to work on the other gun show?).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What avocado oil do you use? I have two types of MCT oil, but other than if used very sparing, it would be way too expensive to use to make mayo.
    1612112217404.png

Gallon with the additional subscribe and save discount is the only way to buy it. I have gotten to cutting it 50/50 with other olive oil or fat to make it more economical. Still, even with strait avocado oil, I'm thinking the mayo is worth knowing what's in it and getting avocado in you? Side benefit is having avocado oil on hand for cooking. Its a high temp oil for sautéing and such.

The last batch of mayo was 50% avocado oil and 50% seasoned sausage and burger drippings. :runaway:

Making your own baconnaise is a real thing also.

Last edited:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I started keto a year ago at 234# and am down to 202. On my way to 190-195.

The med charts say that I should be at about 180# for my age and height - 6’ but I think that is too lean for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ditto on the BMI or "healthy" weight for 6'. Last time I was under 180 lbs was in high school, during WRESTLING season Senior year.

All I know are my shoulders are wide enough that I have to get "athletic cut" dress shirts and jackets/blazers... even when I'm nowhere near "athletic". :):

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Having a chocolate/peanut butter protein shake for lunch. My own "secret" recipe that tastes as good as the Bob's Gym one, IMO and wife's. Has enough fat and protein to stick with you from lunch to dinner.

Ingredients include:

Almond milk
    Choc protein powder
    Powderwed PBFit
    Natural PB - to boost fat and flavor
    Powdered cocoa
    Stevia
    Ice

Ninja/bullet that stuff!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Interesting.

I wonder if the real issue is absolute Omega-3, or the ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 (and the considerable inflammation resulting from a healthy ratio of about 2:1 to about 4:1 (typical SAD is up to about 30:1). People who focus on O3 intake tend to be more aware of the hazards of O6, and follow lifestyles that minimize the latter. And I know that general inflammation is a major risk factor in Covid infections.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Interesting.

I wonder if the real issue is absolute Omega-3, or the ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 (and the considerable inflammation resulting from a healthy ratio of about 2:1 to about 4:1 (typical SAD is up to about 30:1). People who focus on O3 intake tend to be more aware of the hazards of O6, and follow lifestyles that minimize the latter. And I know that general inflammation is a major risk factor in Covid infections.
    Way over my head here, my friend.

I have been consuming my own fish bone broth for a couple of years now. Supposedly bone broth, especially fish bone broth, is a good Omega-3 source, along with other benefits.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I take krill oil supplements, and have only started making my own bone broth. (The first one was terrible; the second one was awesome.)

What fish do you use for the bones?

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I am going to get some long's doughnuts and down them with a white can of Monster, but not today. That has been my mantra since a couple of weeks before Christmas. I hit keto for a month and am at the end of a 2 week break from it. I will do Keto for a couple of weeks to a month then take a break. I'm down over 10 pounds right now since the start in Dec. I was on the crazy train after surgery a few months ago. I was eating carb insanity with little to no protien. Not good. Keto helps me get my cranium out of my anus. Years ago I read a book called Protien Power (copyright 1996). Written by Medical Doctors Michael and Mary Eades. It explained a lot and helped me wrap my head around keto before adkins got famous. I learned that less than 50 grams of carbs a day was good and that 30 grams of fat was the sweet spot. I can eat all the sugar I want at less than 30 grams of fat a day without gaining weight and that my body needed 30 grams of fat to continue functioning correctly mentally. At over 400 pages their was a lot of information in the book.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The Drs. Eades have written some great books. They were the first that I recall who addressed middle-aged visceral fat gain.

I progressed through keto mostly like so, over the past 20+ years: Atkins -> Eades -> Taubes -> Sisson/Asprey -> Fung (with several others sprinkled in over the years)

Top Bottom