• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Maybe my view of this is skewed, since I don't have kids yet and I loathe the public school system... but I do have a question:

To those of you with kids that feel similarly... Why not private schools or homeschool? I understand if the parents have fulltime jobs, homeschool might not be an option... but don't we have some sort of school voucher system to assist with private schools?

I refuse to submit my future child(ren) to a public school... and if homeschooling isn't an option, I will absolutely be going the route of a private school.

WE did the private school thing. Not sure if it was the right thing to do but they all are doing OK.

The kids in the private schools are somewhat privileged. Not my kids as I was blue collar. The wife was a business professional but we are down to earth folks.
    Many of the kids that went to school with my kids did not do well in the real world. I can not blame the schools for their failures. I blame parenting period. I know what and where I failed my kids as we moved through this life. No one is perfect but we have to adjust and make the hard decisions.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    When our son (now 40) was in school, we would have liked to have put him in our Catholic parish school, but we couldn't afford it. So we just monitored what he was being taught and ensured that he understood our beliefs and understanding when such things conflicted with what he was being taught. We also ensured that he was obedient to his teachers while holding those teachers to account for their interactions with him. I'm not sure what else we might have done to prepare him for adulthood.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When our son (now 40) was in school, we would have liked to have put him in our Catholic parish school, but we couldn't afford it. So we just monitored what he was being taught and ensured that he understood our beliefs and understanding when such things conflicted with what he was being taught. We also ensured that he was obedient to his teachers while holding those teachers to account for their interactions with him. I'm not sure what else we might have done to prepare him for adulthood.

You did more than a lot of parents these days would do.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I always taught my kids that if their teachers disagreed with what I had to say the teachers were wrong and they should not stir up to much **** trying to explain to the teacher why they are wrong.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Whenever there's a parent/teacher meeting offered, we ALWAYS jump on it. It gives us a great indication of the concerns the teacher might have in regards to where our children are at currently as well as informs us more of where the teachers best interests lay. We always hear about the parents who 'don't have time for this'.

Our boys are always present and allows us and the teacher to drive home what he needs to concentrate more on.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I always taught my kids that if their teachers disagreed with what I had to say the teachers were wrong and they should not stir up to much **** trying to explain to the teacher why they are wrong.

I taught my son to flip off his teacher whenever she teaches something wrong. Pissed off my wife. We homeschool.

Just kidding. I'm still beathing so I obviously didn't really do that.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Having kids and trying to instill basic principles of appreciating intelligence and the desire to learn is not as easy as it sounds. My 10 yr old hates everything about school no matter how much we talk about the importance of having a good education and where it can take you. My 7 yr old, on the other hand, loves learning and impressing me with the things he learns. I've treated and taught both boys the very same over the years. They both attend a Magnet school. Private school was considered, then reality hit of how much it would cost.

There have been little issues I've had with some of the curriculum, but nothing that just blew me over.

Rather than simply trying to drill into him how important it is, have you tried showing him how much fun it can be? It is rare that a public school teacher can do this for a child...I went to public school most of the way through high school (clarity edit: most of my primary and all of my secondary education) and I can count on one hand (and have fingers left) the number of teachers that made learning fun.

No one with a job they hate loves getting up and going to work.

For most, public school is a job kids hate, and they typically have little or no choice in the matter, as an adult does with a job.

Learning CAN be a thrill; the trick is figuring out what they like; figuring out what they like and helping them know it well is far better than merely making the grade on the state's chosen matters of importance.

Last edited:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Just remember...you will still be taxed in order to fund public schools..

That's okay; we're taxed for Social Security that we'll likely never see, we're taxed for medicaid that we probably won't get to use either. We're taxed for bank bailouts that cost us even more, we're taxed for foreign aid and arming rebels that may end up turning the guns on us or our troops.

If you were taxed for poison, it still wouldn't mean you should drink of it. In fact, I just came back to government education...

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Better is relative.

I prefer to spend my time guiding my children, rather than providing the antidote to misdirection others would give.

YMMV

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Perhaps I misread your intent. Depending on what nuance I read your post with it changes the entire meaning. I was under the assumption that you were defending the "we" in teaching the common core BS. If you were not defending public education and the common core then I misunderstood. Apologies.

If you ever see me defending the government it's probably implied purple or my account got hacked.

Top Bottom