• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    It's not that the kids are being indoctrinated that is the problem, it's that they are being indoctrinated with things you disagree with.

We certainly do not teach kids how George Washington treated his slaves.
    Or anything negative about the government really.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It's not that the kids are being indoctrinated that is the problem, it's that they are being indoctrinated with things you disagree with.
    The fact is that I don't care what parents teach their children. You can teach your kids whatever the hell you want. Just don't make me pay for it. But I expect tax-payer funded schools to at least get the FACTS correct.

We certainly do not teach kids how George Washington treated his slaves.
    Or anything negative about the government really.

Who is "we?"

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    I agree. I shouldn't have to pay for other people's education, even if they do get the facts correct.

We is referring to public school. But I doubt you'd find much of anything negative about the government In any high school text book. Maybe you don't use text books.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    We is referring to public school. But I doubt you'd find much of anything negative about the government In any high school text book. Maybe you don't use text books.
    I'm not looking for textbooks to paint the federal government as one step above Pol Pot or Stalin. I just want children educated on my dime to be given the factually correct information. It's getting really hard to see the series of events as random and unintentional. How hard can it be to fact check the branch of government that makes laws?

We don't use textbooks in our school. Mostly because he's only in 2nd grade, but even later, we will not be using textbooks as a primary source.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I agree. I shouldn't have to pay for other people's education, even if they do get the facts correct.

So you think its ok if they teach kids that the commands of Government must be obeyed by all? or that the president makes things fair? Clearly you didn't read it. If you read it and still don't think that something stinks then wow.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    From what I can find, they really are "just standards" (poorly thought out and written, though.)

I think we are seeing garbage like this more because the new standards created an excellent opportunity for today's academic "elite" to push entirely new texts into widespread use without the normal trial and review process.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would like that sex ed was taught properly. For example, rather than making it sound like is so wonderful, why not tell the kids how you can get your life all screwed up over sex.

Not just getting pregnant or even having an abortion. But how you get emotionally invested in another person then the relationship breaks apart. And in a divorce the judges could care less that you have emotional issues or a broken heart. it is all about money. And I am saying as an observer of those who have gone through the process.

Then there is date rape. Forget STDs, the amount of criminal charges coming out of normal sex would scare most kids if they were taught about it.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I would like that sex ed was taught properly. For example, rather than making it sound like is so wonderful, why not tell the kids how you can get your life all screwed up over sex.

Not just getting pregnant or even having an abortion. But how you get emotionally invested in another person then the relationship breaks apart. And in a divorce the judges could care less that you have emotional issues or a broken heart. it is all about money. And I am saying as an observer of those who have gone through the process.

Then there is date rape. Forget STDs, the amount of criminal charges coming out of normal sex would scare most kids if they were taught about it.
    This is pretty much how my school taught it (had the lessons two years ago).

Didn't really seem to do much though. You've got every television station and half the music telling kids just the opposite so the pro-abstinance stance pretty much gets drowned out.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is pretty much how my school taught it (had the lessons two years ago).

Didn't really seem to do much though. You've got every television station and half the music telling kids just the opposite so the pro-abstinance stance pretty much gets drowned out.

Well, the music often lies. Reality is a bi-itch. funny how fast the kids learn what they should have in school. Sex is not what is made out to be. It is like drugs, in the beginning it is cheap. Once you get hooked the price goes up!

Just shows how little we are preparing kids for real life.

Real life means often having to wear uniforms (at least business casual). And that life is not a party. That those who learned math and science make a lot more money. And self discipline is one of the hardest life skills to learn.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    So you think its ok if they teach kids that the commands of Government must be obeyed by all? or that the president makes things fair? Clearly you didn't read it. If you read it and still don't think that something stinks then wow.

Huh?! How did you come to that conclusion?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

Or maybe the parents could teach morality? It's bad enough teaching practical, objective stuff like writing or that 1+1=2, but subjective morality is a flaming car wreck of a disaster waiting to happen.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Huh?! How did you come to that conclusion?

Perhaps I misread your intent. Depending on what nuance I read your post with it changes the entire meaning. I was under the assumption that you were defending the "we" in teaching the common core BS. If you were not defending public education and the common core then I misunderstood. Apologies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Maybe my view of this is skewed, since I don't have kids yet and I loathe the public school system... but I do have a question:

To those of you with kids that feel similarly... Why not private schools or homeschool? I understand if the parents have fulltime jobs, homeschool might not be an option... but don't we have some sort of school voucher system to assist with private schools?

I refuse to submit my future child(ren) to a public school... and if homeschooling isn't an option, I will absolutely be going the route of a private school.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Having kids and trying to instill basic principles of appreciating intelligence and the desire to learn is not as easy as it sounds. My 10 yr old hates everything about school no matter how much we talk about the importance of having a good education and where it can take you. My 7 yr old, on the other hand, loves learning and impressing me with the things he learns. I've treated and taught both boys the very same over the years. They both attend a Magnet school. Private school was considered, then reality hit of how much it would cost.

There have been little issues I've had with some of the curriculum, but nothing that just blew me over.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Maybe my view of this is skewed, since I don't have kids yet and I loathe the public school system... but I do have a question:

To those of you with kids that feel similarly... Why not private schools or homeschool? I understand if the parents have fulltime jobs, homeschool might not be an option... but don't we have some sort of school voucher system to assist with private schools?

I refuse to submit my future child(ren) to a public school... and if homeschooling isn't an option, I will absolutely be going the route of a private school.
    Just remember...you will still be taxed in order to fund public schools..

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Or maybe the parents could teach morality? It's bad enough teaching practical, objective stuff like writing or that 1+1=2, but subjective morality is a flaming car wreck of a disaster waiting to happen.

Too true
    There is a good chance that the generation that made it OK to have an abortion will be the generation that gets euthanized by their children.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, the music often lies. Reality is a bi-itch. funny how fast the kids learn what they should have in school. Sex is not what is made out to be. It is like drugs, in the beginning it is cheap. Once you get hooked the price goes up!

Just shows how little we are preparing kids for real life.

Real life means often having to wear uniforms (at least business casual). And that life is not a party. That those who learned math and science make a lot more money. And self discipline is one of the hardest life skills to learn.

+1

Top Bottom