• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    Well i just signed up. Never done anything like this before but always had an interest in it. We will see what happens as I am not sure I completely understand what I am doing yet.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    That's okay. This is the way to learn. You may or may not do well in the game, but you will learn the mechanics of stock investing and hopefully learn how to do the research as well.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Other than just buying and selling, I don't know how to use all the other options available in the trade menu. Anybody got any input on the other options in the trade menu?

Well you can buy or sell short, which if you sell short that means you are selling stock you don't own......with the knowledge that you will buy it back to "replace" the shares you sold that you didnt own. So if a stock is $30 and you think it will fall to $15, you can sell it short at 30 and buy it back to replace at 15, meaning you will make 15 per share. Or it could run to $45 and you could be forced to replace the shares you sold at 30 for 45......meaning you would lose $15 per share.

Day order and good till cancelled are kind of exactly how they sound. A day order cancels at end of day, GTC will stay active until order fills or you cancel.

Market, Limit and stop. A market order is an order you place that will fill automatically when you enter, regardless of share price. If you put in a buy off 1000 shares at market and price is 10.92, it may fill at 10.92, 10.95, 10.97....whatever is available at that time on the market. A limit order you put in the price....so say you don't want to pay 10.97 but want it all at 10.92, you can put in a limit order at that price and it will only fill at the price you enter.

A stop is a stop loss. This would be for example you buy 1000 shares at $10 each you can set a stop loss at say $9.75......if at anytime your shares start tanking and fall to 9.75....they will automatically sell your shares for your stop limit. As the stock price rises...you can adjust your stop loss up....this is just a way to ensure you have profits locked in and don't take a huge loss if the stock collapses.

Hope this helps a little.

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    Well you can buy or sell short, which if you sell short that means you are selling stock you don't own......with the knowledge that you will buy it back to "replace" the shares you sold that you didnt own. So if a stock is $30 and you think it will fall to $15, you can sell it short at 30 and buy it back to replace at 15, meaning you will make 15 per share. Or it could run to $45 and you could be forced to replace the shares you sold at 30 for 45......meaning you would lose $15 per share.

Day order and good till cancelled are kind of exactly how they sound. A day order cancels at end of day, GTC will stay active until order fills or you cancel.

Market, Limit and stop. A market order is an order you place that will fill automatically when you enter, regardless of share price. If you put in a buy off 1000 shares at market and price is 10.92, it may fill at 10.92, 10.95, 10.97....whatever is available at that time on the market. A limit order you put in the price....so say you don't want to pay 10.97 but want it all at 10.92, you can put in a limit order at that price and it will only fill at the price you enter.

A stop is a stop loss. This would be for example you buy 1000 shares at $10 each you can set a stop loss at say $9.75......if at anytime your shares start tanking and fall to 9.75....they will automatically sell your shares for your stop limit. As the stock price rises...you can adjust your stop loss up....this is just a way to ensure you have profits locked in and don't take a huge loss if the stock collapses.

Hope this helps a little.

That does help. I figured that they were going to be useful once I knew how to use them.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    yeah, I would really love to buy some S&W in my real money account but kind of concerned. I think wall street has it all wrong. They claim gun sales are slowing and have peaked, I find that hard to digest in an election year, not only an election year but an election year that a gun grabber may get elected. That only leads me to think record gun sales in quarter 3 & 4-2016 and quarter 1 2017. Am I missing something?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Pudly.......Educate me! How are you using them stocks you are using to make money? What is 3x silver? Do they go up when silver goes up or can they go up even when silver falls?

Thanks

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    OK. I'm on top for the first time ever. :rockwoot: I don't expect it to last as I know that I have a very volatile investment setup, but hope to be there at the end. I'll tell you with one BIG warning.

Do not use this technique for real investing. I'm using this here because this is a game I'm trying to win and there are no major consequences if it fails.

Based on a lot of reading I've been doing, I'm a big believer in precious metals at this point and am very concerned about the upside vs. downside of the regular stock market for the near future. As this is a game, I'm also not terribly concerned if I'm totally wrong and end up tanking. I would never use this investment mix for my real money and although my real investments have done well this year, they haven't gone up as much as my game portfolio.

My investing philosophy in this game? Trying to win means taking extreme/unbalanced positions. In other words: try for home runs, not safety. Buying a stock index (like S&P500) and having a properly balanced portfolio makes sense for real investing, but won't put you at the top of the list.

Silver tends to have more extreme price swings than gold, so I'm concentrating on silver investments. PSLV is a silver ETF that directly tracks silver prices. It may fluctuate slightly above/below the "official" price as set by the SLV ETF, but due to how it is structured, I trust PSLV more and own some in real life. I'd never put any money into SLV as I do not trust their business model and believe that they will go belly up if things get really crazy. I trust PHYS over the GLD gold ETF for the same reason.

But since I think that PMs are going up and I'm not terribly concerned about risk, why not multiply those returns? There are three ways:
    1. Buy additional shares on margin.
    2. Invest in PM mining stocks. When things go well for gold/silver, miners stock prices can really soar. When PM prices fall, miners really tank or even go bankrupt. They have done quite well this year.
    3. Invest in specialty ETFs that provide multiples of returns (both higher gains and higher losses). You can find 2x and 3x multiple ETFs for different investments. So if PSLV gets 1x silver gains/losses, then you can also find 2x and 3x silver ETFs. It is a lot like leveraging your returns by buying additional shares on margin, but you don't have to pay the loan costs in addition to the return risk. There are similar 2x/3x ETFs for gold, other commodities, and various stock/bond indexes. You can even buy 2x/3x "bear" ETFs if you want to multiply a short position. Here is a web site listing various 2x/3x ETFs. I don't own any of these in real life as they are quite risky.
    53% return in 3 months... Too bad my real investment portfolio will never do that well. Sigh...

Last edited:

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    Couple weeks old but still relevant. If any if you want to play the leveraged ETFs with real money might want to read up on contango. Holding those for long can be painful.
    Hang on to your hats the next couple weeks. Think I'm smelling blood in the water. Not trusting the recent rally.

Edit. Still holding that FCX. Cost basis $5.62 last price $11.69. Not too shabby.

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Just a little mid-game brag. First person to reach 100% gain! :rockwoot:

QLrQ37R.gif

Too bad my real portfolio isn't doing nearly that well. :(

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Nice job Pudly! I hate having to work......it has had me all messed up. I had almost caught you and Miller.......then I had to work last week and missed a few opportunities. Wish that game had extended hours trades on it.....

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    VlKVE74.gif

Welcome to the 100% return club guys. If you keep breathing down my neck like that, I'm going to think you have something else in mind. :naughty:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Kicking my self pretty hard now. I've been messing with really cheap stock. Bought it at $1.02. Went up $.25 cents after the election. Sold it for about 24,000 profit.

Checked it today, it's at $1.62. :(

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    That game pisses me off.......I got hung out on oil and Dave just ran away from us. If only we could have that kind of gains with the real money.

Think I will re-set game if anyone wants to play again...

Top Bottom