• ...and so much more!
  • FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    When private sales of firearms in Indiana I am aware there are some different rules in regard to age, handgun or rifle and qualifications. In the past I have sold several handguns and a few rifles one at a time to Indiana residents only that I know and meet all the qualifications. I alway make out a bill-of-sale and require a drivers license and signature and appropriate initials. My BOS always includes the serial numbers and other info. Signatures in 'blue' ink.

Recently I have decided to sell one rifle and 4 or 5 handguns. Some of my friends are interested in one or two and my question is there a rule regarding how many firearms one can sell at a private transaction or is there a time span involved ?? I have been researching and can only find partial information to some extent. Thanks in advance for helping out.
    Great question but in all reality your already doing more then the bare minimum. Its a good idea to have a bill of sale and check for state resident for sure but (yes ive checked with my lawyer) you really just have to have no reason to believe there a prohibited possessor. I often sell guns to save up for something I want and its completely legal to make a profit so long as that wasn't your intention when buying the Firearm.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Great question but in all reality your already doing more then the bare minimum. Its a good idea to have a bill of sale and check for state resident for sure but (yes ive checked with my lawyer) you really just have to have no reason to believe there a prohibited possessor. I often sell guns to save up for something I want and its completely legal to make a profit so long as that wasn't your intention when buying the Firearm.
    This. You just need to not know. You dont have to proactively seek out their legitimacy to get a positive confirmation they are good. The law just says you cant know they ARENT a proper person.

So you CAN sell to some random joe you dont know and just need to know they are an Indiana resident.

Now if your wife's cousin mentioned he was interested in buying your Glock at the family reunion last weekend, but at last year's reunion her aunt mentioned in passing that he served 5 years for a felony a decade ago, its a no go. You know he is a felon, so you cant sell to him.

EDIT: To put a finer point on it, if her aunt had not said anything, you would not be liable for selling to him if he failed to mention to you that he was prohibited.

Last edited:

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    This. You just need to not know. You dont have to proactively seek out their legitimacy to get a positive confirmation they are good. The law just says you cant know they ARENT a proper person.

So you CAN sell to some random joe you dont know and just need to know they are an Indiana resident.

Now if your wife's cousin mentioned he was interested in buying your Glock at the family reunion last weekend, but at last year's reunion her aunt mentioned in passing that he served 5 years for a felony a decade ago, its a no go. You know he is a felon, so you cant sell to him.
    100% it pays to do the bill of sale though just in case.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Suddenly I have Bob Seger lyrics in my head...
    Actually a true story. This girl was looney, but excessively hot. And she lived in a brand new patio home with all the modern conveniences, like a furnace that worked, a hot water heater, she was a good cook too, just bat crap crazy and jealous.

I stayed there most of the winter of 2002-03.

Last I heard a few years back, she was in jail for attacking a female co-worker.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I heard there were free guns...
    22eb2555-e8f3-4082-9fd8-d5ef8876299c_text.gif

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    100% ?

Yeah I think not. I have seen first hand the selling of a gun that was used later in a crime and in no way was a bill of sale needed or would have been helpful
    It would help if your the last documented when a gun you sold is found at a crime. Just because it didn't on your one occasion doesn't mean its useless

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It would help if your the last documented when a gun you sold is found at a crime. Just because it didn't on your one occasion doesn't mean its useless
    This has been covered ad infinitum on INGO, but there are a lot of people that will refuse to participate in a sale that requires a bill of sale or anything recorded. Doesn't mean that they're up to something nefarious. It just means that it's not required by law and they don't want to give their personal information unnecessarily. If you want to require one, that's up to you. Ya pays yer nickel and ya takes yer chances as to whether or not that's a hindrance to selling (or buying) your item.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    100% it pays to do the bill of sale though just in case.

Just be sure to list this in your sale add. (Because most of us will then skip over it.) Wouldn't dare want to spring this on someone last minute at the meet location. :nono::nono::nono:

Never know though, if you are selling something at half value, even I might sign a BOS? Maybe? :dunno:

:twocents:

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    How would it help?

It's a worthless piece of paper and that's what they told me, and it was used in a murder.
    The prosecutor? The cops? Your lawyer? My lawyer says its a good idea. Granted I dont do it simply because its non of my business who has it once ive sold it. Im assuming you didn't do jail time for that incident so it didn't hurt though.

Top Bottom