• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    If pedigree matters, choose the Big Name school. If learning and applying what is learned matters more, choose smaller/ less expensive school. Leadership roles might come quicker with a degree. But leadership roles also come from one demonstrating, to the right person at the right time, they are capable, with or without a degree. My oldest hits campus next fall. He chose a small private school. I couldn't be happier with the choice. Many of the Big Name universities today are little more than debt factories. Like $80k debt for BA in psychology kinda debt. Oddly, most adults I know with a degree are almost never working in their degree field, at least not directly. School for pre-med, works IT. School for IT, owns a trucking company. Go figure.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Purdue grad here with a student there also, and they do indeed have a lot of ways to provide opportunities to motivated students. My company recruits there extensively for interns.

Side note - DePauw should be crossed off the list straight away. It's a small, expensive, very liberal, liberal arts school, and it is full-on woke.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Purdue grad here with a student there also, and they do indeed have a lot of ways to provide opportunities to motivated students. My company recruits there extensively for interns.

Side note - DePauw should be crossed off the list straight away. It's a small, expensive, very liberal, liberal arts school, and it is full-on woke.
    Respectfully I ask, is there a college/ university on OP's list that isn't woke?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I agree. But the OP's list didn't include Ivy Tech. From his list I would assume Evansville might be the least woke?? Really, it's hard to imagine any higher ed currently being free from the religion of woke. But I can't believe any large state school, IU/PU/BS, would necessarily be less woke than DePauw or Rose Hulman. University used to be where people were exposed to new ideas. Now it would seem it's where people go to learn conformity. Weird how things ebb and flow.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    While not on the original list, it looks like the have a campus in Evansville and many, many other locations. The name recognition might not be as big, but the education is good and the cost is a lot better than other colleges. If nothing else might be a good place to start for a 2 year degree.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Respectfully I ask, is there a college/ university on OP's list that isn't woke?
    Yes, there most certainly is. This tends to be a continuum, and it depends on your definition of "woke." Most all campuses are going to expose you to ideas you won't encounter in Mayberry RFD. But Purdue protects student speech and doesn't throw people under the bus just because their opinions are unpopular. In contrast to other colleges where allegations of sexual assault get the accused suspended without solid proof, Purdue actually has a bunch of student protestors mad at them the past few years because they suspended a student for making a false allegation. I'm not picking sides in the dispute in question, simply pointing out the contrast to how things work at other institutions. Purdue does seem to make a legitimate effort to make sure students aren't railroaded just because they're on the wrong side of the latest social fad.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A good friend who got his MBA later in life told me that he would advise anyone getting an MBA to wait until they have relevant experience in the area they want to manage. He said you get way more out of the MBA program than if you don’t have that experience.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Purdue protects student speech and doesn't throw people under the bus just because their opinions are unpopular.
    I'm not super familiar with this publication, but they rank Purdue as the #3 university in the country for free speech on campus.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for all of the feedback.

I've definitely been stressing the importance of "how" one goes to college over "where".

Lots of great options out there from Ivy Tech to Purdue.

The importance of certifications and internships is being stressed as well.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Latest thing I've run into, ABET certification of computer science programs.

Looks like the big schools feel they don't need it and the smaller ones look to legitimize their programs with the cert.

Thoughts on that specifically?

Thanks!!!

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    A good friend who got his MBA later in life told me that he would advise anyone getting an MBA to wait until they have relevant experience in the area they want to manage. He said you get way more out of the MBA program than if you don’t have that experie

A good friend who got his MBA later in life told me that he would advise anyone getting an MBA to wait until they have relevant experience in the area they want to manage. He said you get way more out of the MBA program than if you don’t have that experience.
    Very good advice.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Hey ya'll I'm still new-ish to Indiana.

What are your thoughts and/or experiences with the following colleges specifically for technical degrees (computer science and related)?

University of Evansville
    DePauw
    Rose Hulman
    Purdue (I know Purdue is the heavy hitter in IN)

I know that is a wide variety of schools and a pretty broad question. Happy to receive more general answers and/or questions to my questions.

Thanks!
    IU grad here but my daughter just graduated from Purdue and almost done with her graduate work in structural engineering. I have been really impressed with Purdue. She is darn near getting most of her costs paid for by being an RA and now a TA. 5 yrs and a degree in civil engineering, masters in structural. Career fairs that have given her paid engineering internships for 4 yrs at about 10k earned each summer. Has a job already in Boston making over 80k.

Top Bottom