• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    But how is the teacher supposed to respond when the 6yo (or a classmate) honestly asks how the egg got inside the bird? Children are wonderfully smart, insightful and curious. I want teachers to be able to answer openly, honestly and directly without fear of some parental outrage.
    How’d the egg get inside the bird? How does a human egg get inside a woman? Not by ****ing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    But how is the teacher supposed to respond when the 6yo (or a classmate) honestly asks how the egg got inside the bird? Children are wonderfully smart, insightful and curious. I want teachers to be able to answer openly, honestly and directly without fear of some parental outrage.
    Ok. But suppose a 1st grader were to ask a female teacher if she had a weewee? Should she be open, honest and direct? What if the student asks if she has pubic hair?
    Some things you just know it when you see it. Sexualization, with blunt and crude description of perverted acts isn't educational. It's perversion with the intent to desensitize the children to what would otherwise be criminal. Would you allow a Scout leader to show Timmy how to masturbate? I wouldn't either. It's wholly inappropriate and would be deemed criminal. So to should be educators that expose children to gyrating men scantly dressed like caricature of women.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    What is "age-appropriate" is the question that will NEVER be answered as each human being has a different idea of what that means.
    Ergo why such education should and must be left up to parents, not schools/the state.

The sexes, or "genders", is where much debate is now occuring. I believe the "sexes" are two (2) in number. Gender? I'm not so sure. I believe that there is more to gender than many conservatives are comfortable with, but there is far too less of gender than the liberals want there to be. Where the most "truth" lies is probably within the middle but it could be decades before we reasonably understand it.
    No. There are two human sexes, and there are two human genders. There are extremely rare, genetic mutations that result in some biological overlap - and to my knowledge, "extremely rare" means well below 1%.

All other questions are matters of personality and expression - from a spectrum of what should be seen as perfectly normal and accepted (there are effeminate males and masculine females, and that is normal), all the way to psychological disorder (gender dysmorphia, body dysmorphia). These should be handled appropriately, on the basis of individual liberty, love, respect, and compassion (which should be applied universally to all people).

"Like all mammals, birds engage in sexual intercourse. We're not going to get into those details here in class. If you have questions about that, you should ask your parent(s)."

That's not really so difficult.

I agree that there is a nuanced difference between sex and reproduction, but the two (2) do overlap.
    That overlap (or lack thereof) provides some of the boundary for what is, and is not, age-appropriate.

I do think sex (broadly defined) should be taught to children before they can reasonably engage in it. They must understand the seriousness of what they may soon be doing or pressured to do. There is a huge responsibility to getting pregnant or catching an STD that may never go away. To my thinking it is like teaching a kid how to drive before they get olde enough to drive, or gun safety before they can carry on their own. Ignorance is the breeding ground of avoidable outcomes.
    The responsibility for that education falls on the parents, not on the school/the state - and that applies to sex education, driving education, and firearms handling education.

All that said it shouldn't be "dirtied" up. In my opinion "sex" education should be taught from a far more biological bent and a far less prurient one.
    That is exactly how we have chosen to approach the subject with our own children. All parents have the right to make that choice with their own children.

The bill in question (from FL, and presumably any similar, proffered bills in IN) merely enshrines such parental rights and prevents the state schools from usurping those rights.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Those are individuals and one off situations. The real world situation is the actual teaching, and who is teaching it.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Just to be clear, the Florida law restricted INSTRUCTION on sexual orientation or gender identity from K-3 classrooms. It is not part of the state curriculum for K-3 and cannot be "injected" into those classrooms by the teachers, the school or school district.

"3. Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards."

Honestly, if someone wants their K-3 child (or pre-school) child to read or be read to "Heather Has Two Mommies", they can read it to them at home.

If they INSIST that all K-3 children be instructed in school on this subject or read that and similar books, then they have an agenda.

Top Bottom