• Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I'd love to find a celt
    I’m…..well older, I’ve got between 25-30 pieces, been searching my whole life. I’ve even got a Clovis type made from Indiana stone. I’ve found If your outside game hunting just keep your eyes on the area around your feet. You’ll see’em. I can’t imagine how many pieces hunters must step on or over while chasing deer n rabbits. It’s INDIANA …….:twocents:

:wavey:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Reason number 327 why it's awesome to be a river bank Hoosier lol....

"have you ever noticed all of those videos where guys find 20 arrowheads a day and drawl in a very similar accent, "welp...dun foundt 25 perfect arraheads today on my walk" ....it's because they live along the Ohio or Mississippi river valleys..." lol

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Reason number 327 why it's awesome to be a river bank Hoosier lol....

"the reason you don't find arrowheads is you don't live here" lol

To cool, I like the color they give New Mexico. Some of the most historically important finds in archaeology come from there. :lmfao:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nice inclusion on that top blade....all Harrison county flint lol....

is upper right sandstone????

Yes, a local historian and friend thought it might be something used to crack nuts. We bought this place and had it cleaned up as it was a drug colony. Nature is taking it back over after scraping everything off and putting it in 40 yard cans.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Check out leatherwoodcrafts YouTube channel. He lives a few miles west of me. Very educational as he studied archeology. He knows the material they're made from a names of all the points, buck creek, theebs, etc... time period archaic, Paleo, woodland etc...

Worth the watch, very educational.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Check out leatherwoodcrafts YouTube channel. He lives a few miles west of me. Very educational as he studied archeology. He knows the material they're made from a names of all the points, buck creek, theebs, etc... time period archaic, Paleo, woodland etc...

Worth the watch, very educational.
    I have watched a few of those!

The point you showed is very cool. Is there a name for that point?

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    For example: when you find a piece, lets say the one I showed, are you able to decipher whether it come from “clovis people”? I know I need books to learn but its fun to study how and when this artifact was used. Time stamed sort of? How close can we narrow this down to a story or culture?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have not found much in the way of stone artifact's.
    That said I have found belt buckles, buttons, and plenty of lead ball around my property. During the great depression the entire area and fields near my place were a tent city. Even found a belt buckle pre dating the civil war.

There used to be a narrow gauge rail road that ran through my property down a ways to an old coal mine(not called coal creek for nothing it is half lined with coal).

A metal detector was used for said finds.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    For example: when you find a piece, lets say the one I showed, are you able to decipher whether it come from “clovis people”? I know I need books to learn but its fun to study how and when this artifact was used. Time stamed sort of? How close can we narrow this down to a story or culture?
    Clovis "points" are rare in this area.....they are distinctive because of the flutes

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Clovis "points" are rare in this area.....they are distinctive because of the flutes

Finding them may be but I wouldn't say they are rare....I've got quite a few Clovis blades (knives) found locally...they don't get the love because no flute but they have the over flaking unique to Clovis....

the glaciers didn't get this far south (into southern Indiana) and the Clovis people were all over southern Indiana because we have the best chert in the world....

Here's a survey done by the feds for southern Indiana...very cool and worth the read....

1705078660246.png 1705078674262.png 1705078730202.png 1705078763789.png

1705078701630.png

Last edited:
    Top Bottom