• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Are you guys saying it wasn't clearly indicated that it wasn't a real tenderloin?
    As Klb pointed out, yeah, it’s indicated. I had just never heard of it before and had no idea what it was. I will say, though, that for someone who isn’t a vegan and has no interest in learning about it, it would be pretty easy to miss the fact that you are ordering something vegan.

That’s why I take my wife along, her job is to watch what I’m doing and keep me from making mistakes. Bad thing is, she had no idea what it was either.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm not a vegan, and have no plans to be a vegan, but there is some pretty compelling evidence that suggest it is by far the best overall diet (as in food consumption, not weight loss) for cardiac health.

I do veggie burgers pretty often because I like burgers but red meat destroys my stomach. It sure doesn't taste the same but it's as close as I can get. If the impossible meat stuff really tastes like meat I'll be all over it.
    Why do people care what you eat? Why is this a big deal? Why is there a market for them? Obviously everything one doesn’t like must be a conspiracy.

Or, maybe something like this. My doctor told me I needed to cut out red meat because of some health conditions. And I really didn’t want to give up cheeseburgers. So non-meat burgers kinda fill the space. They taste pretty. I mean, nowhere as good as a real ass cheeseburger. But better than no cheeseburger.

In fact there’s one called “Better Than Beef burger”. Probably false advertising. They should rename that to “better than no burger” Or, maybe call it the “sorry you can’t eat real ass cheeseburgers have this consolation instead burger”

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yes...and it's absurd because the whole world could stop meat consumption tomorrow and it wouldn't hardly move the needle on anything climate or pollution related. Meanwhile they import goods from smog covered China and ride around on their private jets as you alluded to.
    I remember years ago we mocked the government for spending money researching cow farts. Now it’s pretty obvious that it was in service of justifying the end of beef production. But as you say it would hardly move the needle.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Why do people care what you eat? Why is this a big deal? Why is there a market for them? Obviously everything one doesn’t like must be a conspiracy.

Or, maybe something like this. My doctor told me I needed to cut out red meat because of some health conditions. And I really didn’t want to give up cheeseburgers. So non-meat burgers kinda fill the space. They taste pretty. I mean, nowhere as good as a real ass cheeseburger. But better than no cheeseburger.

In fact there’s one called “Better Than Beef burger”. Probably false advertising. They should rename that to “better than no burger” Or, maybe call it the “sorry you can’t eat real ass cheeseburgers have this consolation instead burger”
    I agree totally. The one thing that annoys me about vegans isn't that they are vegan, but that so many of them make it their identity. I worked with another pharmacist that was vegan strictly for health, and it was all she wanted to talk about...when she wasn't shaming everyone else for their eating habits, that is.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I remember years ago we mocked the government for spending money researching cow farts. Now it’s pretty obvious that it was in service of justifying the end of beef production. But as you say it would hardly move the needle.
    I think it was a fair enough thought but yeah not really worth it in hindsight. I mean hey, if cow farts really were destroying the planet imagine the cowpocalypse meat feast we could have after we sent all the cows on earth to rainbow bridge (if that's where cows go...??).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Don't know if you ever tried them but morningstar farms spicy black bean burger is pretty damn tasty. Not saying it tastes like meat but it is good. I'm not vegan/vegetarian/whatever. I'll eat just about anything once. But I will buy them on occasion because they are tasty. Haven't really tried any of their other stuff so don't know if it's good or not.

A while back someone gave me iirc 15 lbs of the impossible burger in commercial 5 lb packs. It was okay, close to meat just not quite there. Meat adjacent maybe? It dries out quick, don't go over "medium".

I've ran into quite a few like you describe. I've also ran into a few that aren't. They just think it's healthier and in all honesty it might be. And there is vegan and vegetarian and a couple of others. Vegans IME tend to be the worst.
    Some of the better tasting stuff doesn’t try to taste like meat. Those black bean burgers are pretty good. Also, if you like mushrooms the ones made of that are pretty good. No soy. Just mushrooms and veggies. They don’t try to be something they’re not other than being generally in the shape if a hamburger patty.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think it was a fair enough thought but yeah not really worth it in hindsight. I mean hey, if cow farts really were destroying the planet imagine the cowpocalypse meat feast we could have after we sent all the cows on earth to rainbow bridge (if that's where cows go...??).
    The cowpocalypse. Now I’d probably tell my dr to **** off for that.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As Klb pointed out, yeah, it’s indicated. I had just never heard of it before and had no idea what it was. I will say, though, that for someone who isn’t a vegan and has no interest in learning about it, it would be pretty easy to miss the fact that you are ordering something vegan.

That’s why I take my wife along, her job is to watch what I’m doing and keep me from making mistakes. Bad thing is, she had no idea what it was either.
    And for the record, flames to the left of the description means the dish is spicy. So beware. :stickpoke: :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yes, it actually is. No one eats turkey bacon or beef pepperoni because they fundamentally disagree with eating meat.
    What is wrong with fundamentally disagreeing with eating meat? Why must people comply with your beliefs? What’s so difficult about living and let living? You kinda give that lip service while criticizing that people who eat this stuff are being inconsistent. That said, vegans are annoying because they can’t live and let live either.

If you don't believe in killing animals but want you're food to emulate dead animals, you have a major flaw/disconnect in your way of thinking.

This is not true. You act as if this is the only reason people might want to eat “fake” burgers. But even so, it’s a product on the market that many people like. They taste pretty good. Isn’t that good enough reason? People aren’t fooling themselves. They know what they’re getting. Just like they know what they’re getting with Turkey burgers.

If your religion prohibits certain foods, then is seeking imitations of those forbidden foods really in keeping with the religion? I can't imagine that it is in most religions. I am a Catholic and no, a fish sandwich is not a burger substitute, it is a convenient, handy way to eat fish. Just like any other sandwich is convenient, handy way to eat whatever is contained between the bread.

You answered your own problem statement. Yes, it is keeping with their own religion. For example, a Hindu eating a veggie burger is in keeping with his religion. He can’t eat meat. Eating vegetables in the form of a patty in a sandwich is just a handy way to eat vegetables. Don’t you think that fits in the set of “any other sandwich is convenient, handy way to eat whatever is contained within? The limits of your imagination doesn’t mark the boundaries of ither people’s beliefs. They get to make their own judgements.

No, I don't sit around wondering that because I know the reason. Frankly, I could sit around and wonder why you insist on repeatedly trying to interject religion into a conversation about vegans and the fake meat marketed almost exclusively to them but I'm pretty sure I already know. A vegan is free to eat whatever they want and to hold and express whatever opinion on the subject they want. However, I'm equally free to express my opinion on it as well.

Sure. You’re free to express your opinions, albeit constrained within the limits of your own imagination.

The real question is who are you are to tell me or anyone else we can't express our opinion on the topic? Personally, I think we need more conversation and fewer attempts to stop those from sharing opposing views. I'll leave the silly trope of tribalism as a bogeyman for another thread.
    This is ironic. No one said that you can’t express your opinion. But people get to express theirs in disagreement with your opinion, just as you’re asserting your right, right here, to to disagree with theirs.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Burger King launched it chain-wide about 2.5 years ago...and are partners with the company that produces it.

What other fast food companies are offering the impossible burger? How, exactly, do you arrive at they are all suddenly doing it?

Fast food has experimented with veggie versions before. Do you remember McD's trying it in the 90s/00's with black beans? I do.
    For many years Burger king has offered a veggie whapper. It’s basically all the vegetables you want on your sandwich without the burger. Of course that would freak out the kito diet fans.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I was told this was an echo chamber.

Start echoing!

Honestly, who cares? I don’t like burger kings chicken sandwiches. I don’t order them.

And until they come out with a impossible pork butt that I can throw on the smoker and try, I probably won’t eat any impossible meats. I think it’s a good alternative for people that can’t eat red meat, or wanna watch their cholesterol, or just enjoy them... but I have no desire to try it.

I do wonder tho, I thought vegan food couldn’t be cooked where real meat was cooked? Do they have a separate grill for the impossible burgers, or do people just accept that it’s being cooked next to a real meat burger?
    They’re probably frozen. They just nuke them.

But I think that is true that Hindus don’t like meat touching the stuff they might eat. I’ve noticed at a subway owned by a family of Hindus, they take measures to keep things separate. They switch gloves when handling meat for example. They also seem quite pleased with me when I order a veggie delight.

Top Bottom