• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Well I don't know why everyone has their panties in a wad over this. I am a red meat eater. I also love my veggies. What I cant get is why do they spend all the effort to take plants and veggies and turn them into meat. I am a farmer and cattleman. Let me tell you, my cows are really good at it. If you like it go for it. If you don't don't. Shoot sometimes I enjoy a veggie pizza.

That was actually the question in the op. :D

There have been some legit answers.

The only question remaining is if the companies pushing fake beef have made a profit.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    It's no more dishonest than turkey bacon or beef pepperoni.

People have different reasons to be vegetarian. If you don't believe in killing animals or your religion prohibits certain foods but still want to eat a cheeseburger, here you go. The Filet-o-fish exists because Catholics exist. It's a fish based burger substitute, giving people who could not eat a burger on certain days an option to spend money on a different sandwich instead. Do you sit around and wonder why people eat fish but won't eat beef on a given day and why they have to consume it in a burger-esque setting? Probably not. What's it to you what a vegan eats or doesn't eat? Do we really need to tribalize based on menu choice now?
    Thank you BB.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Well I don't know why everyone has their panties in a wad over this. I am a red meat eater. I also love my veggies. What I cant get is why do they spend all the effort to take plants and veggies and turn them into meat. I am a farmer and cattleman. Let me tell you, my cows are really good at it. If you like it go for it. If you don't don't. Shoot sometimes I enjoy a veggie pizza.
    +1
    Mediterranean veggie sandwich from Panera is delicious.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You already are; they are just hidden in the bread and cereal you eat.

351.png

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Here's comparison. I never thought about the "carbon footprint" angle. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ble-burger-veggie-whopper-healthy/4070993002/

Me either. I do recall some concerns about coconut oil and how it's sourced, though I no longer remember the specifics.

My diet isn't real complicated. I smoked trout last night and my wife and son are making sushi with it today. It was my first time smoking fish over pecan, so we'll see if that was a good idea or not.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    All that said, no idea if half of the "bad" numbers above are due to the inclusion of the abomination that is mayonnaise or is a result of the meat or meat substitutes that are used in these burgers.

It's been a long time since I had a Whopper, but I always subsituted mustard for mayo. I'm just not a huge mayo fan, outside of a few applications. Tuna being the major one. I find the avacodo oil mayo is good with tuna. No idea if it's healthier or not.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Probably because of this thread, an article about McD's testing a new sandwich popped up in my news feed. The McPlant. Marketing wise, that sounds terrible. Impossible Burger is at least an interesting name. Beyond Meat is sort of meh, but I get what they are going for. McPlant makes me think of house plants and not food plants.

The black bean patties that some of the places used to offer (maybe Wendy's still does?) were pretty decent. Not to be consumed if you work in tight quarters after lunch, mind you.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My daughter was waiting tables at a very popular brewpup in Btown. I used to make fairly frequent visits to see her at work.

I ordered one of the place's signature seitan tenderloin sandwiches once. Daughter checked how I was doing about halfway through eating, I said "fine." She then said, "You know there's no meat in that, right?" :n00b:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My daughter was waiting tables at a very popular brewpup in Btown. I used to make fairly frequent visits to see her at work.

I ordered one of the place's signature seitan tenderloin sandwiches once. Daughter checked how I was doing about halfway through eating, I said "fine." She then said, "You know there's no meat in that, right?" :n00b:
    I think I know which place you’re talking about. I never heard of seitan before eating there. I thought it was some fancy brand of pork! Fortunately someone at our table knew what it was.

Top Bottom