If you saw this guy, would you shoot him?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The citizen review board, headed by yours truly, has determined that the driver broke no known policies or laws, and therefore acted lawfully and appropriately.

There is no law against stretching your legs and picking up your cane in the presence of a police officer. Not even the catch-all of 'resisting' would apply. He was within his rights the whole time.

I know it seems obvious to cops, and to people who read about cops every day. WE know there are these unwritten rules about how to increase your odds of survival during police encounters. Not everybody knows though. And they aren't real rules.

lawfully and inappropriately are not one in the same. The man's actions were lawful, but inappropriate. It is lawful to wear a "Pre-Teens are Sexy" t-shirt while driving a white van through a school parking lot, but if you're concerned about you safety while being around a number of fathers who might see this, it would also be deemed inappropriate.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I would have shot the guy, looks like a long gun to me when I first watched it

Driver shouldn't have gotten out of his truck, he's lucky to be alive
    Yeah! It's this guys fault the cop shot him. Nevermind he was just doing what used to be the norm and get out when stopped. Nevermind the fact he wasn't doing anything but get out a cane to help him approach the officer's vehicle carefully...He got what he deserved! Hell, he should have just started licking those boots the moment the officer realized he shot an unarmed disabled elderly citizen and came over to see how he was...should be arrested too for disturbing the peace.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Yeah! It's this guys fault the cop shot him. Nevermind he was just doing what used to be the norm and get out when stopped. Nevermind the fact he wasn't doing anything but get out a cane to help him approach the officer's vehicle carefully...He got what he deserved! Hell, he should have just started licking those boots the moment the officer realized he shot an unarmed disabled elderly citizen and came over to see how he was...should be arrested too for disturbing the peace.

When exactly was it the norm to get out of your car?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    lawfully and inappropriately are not one in the same. The man's actions were lawful, but inappropriate. It is lawful to wear a "Pre-Teens are Sexy" t-shirt while driving a white van through a school parking lot, but if you're concerned about you safety while being around a number of fathers who might see this, it would also be deemed inappropriate.

Ok. As it stands, there is nothing inappropriate about what Mr. Canipe did. He has a right to stand up after a long haul and stretch his legs. When he stands up, he retrieves his cane, as he probably does multiple times per day. That's not something that interferes with the cop's job. Appropriate and lawful.

This comment came right off PoliceOne.

I had the pleasure to work with Sheriff Bryant and several of his deputies at a Bloodhound seminar for many years. A good bunch of folks and definitely not a department that is shoot happy. After reviewing the video I thought it was a gun and would have done the same. When I started working the road in 1979 (in the south)it was very common for people to meet the officer between the vehicles and even sit in the front seat of the patrol vehicle while a citation or warning was written. This was an older man that probably had that mind set. Never realized his cane looked like a long gun in the dark.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Common sense, to stay in the car, is it not?

I really don't want to go down bashing lane but why should anyone be afraid of getting out of their car if they get pulled over? This is rapidly approaching "respect my authority or else" territory.

I've read enough of your posts to think enough of you to not lump you into that generalization but we are rapidly approaching a society where we as a whole are afraid of LEO. **** happens, I understand that and I know that if it isn't sensational then it's not worth reporting but it is easy to see a bye week for the boys in blue whenever they screw up vs non leo screw ups. I swore I'd never get into a generalization conversation but this incident really strikes a nerve. I should have stuck with my original statement;

"I was going to ask what he picked up, it looked like a cane, post 8 answered that. I wasn't there but having seen my dad pull the cane out of the back of his truck just like that my first thought was what the **** is the cop shooting at. I'll stand by that. "

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Ok. As it stands, there is nothing inappropriate about what Mr. Canipe did. He has a right to stand up after a long haul and stretch his legs. When he stands up, he retrieves his cane, as he probably does multiple times per day. That's not something that interferes with the cop's job. Appropriate and lawful.

Gotta go with rambone here. Exactly who deemed the elderly gentleman's actions inappropriate? I'm sure that Mr. Canipe did'nt feel they were at the time and obviously did'nt have the slightest inclination he would be shot. Two very different perspectives at play here on the part of both parties involved. One being the officer perceiving a threat that required deadly force and the other being that of the gentleman that was acting in an lawful and appropriate manner from his perspective.

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Tough call...when I first watched it does appear the cane the older man pulled out of his truck did swing and point at the officer. Well we know now that it was a cane...but how many you tube vids have we watched when a guy gets out and grabs a AK and starts blasting away....then some say, what a bunch of stupid cops, why did he allow the guy to get out, and why did he allow the guy to shoot first. Maybe that should be mandated, cops can only shoot if they are shot at first.....apply purple where needed.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I
    had the pleasure to work with Sheriff Bryant and several of his deputies at a Bloodhound seminar for many years. A good bunch of folks and definitely not a department that is shoot happy. After reviewing the video I thought it was a gun and would have done the same. When I started working the road in 1979 (in the south)it was very common for people to meet the officer between the vehicles and even sit in the front seat of the patrol vehicle while a citation or warning was written. This was an older man that probably had that mind set. Never realized his cane looked like a long gun in the dark.

That was 1979....
    In the 1990's, as a teen, I could walk into just about anyone of my friend's homes (which were unlocked), go to the fridge an eat whatever I found. Hell, I could even sleep in a guest bed. Today, I imagine that doesn't exactly fly. I'm sure I'm not alone is things that were accepted as "common," in yesteryear, not being so kosher nowadays.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I really don't want to go down bashing lane but why should anyone be afraid of getting out of their car if they get pulled over? This is rapidly approaching "respect my authority or else" territory.

I've read enough of your posts to think enough of you to not lump you into that generalization but we are rapidly approaching a society where we as a whole are afraid of LEO. **** happens, I understand that and I know that if it isn't sensational then it's not worth reporting but it is easy to see a bye week for the boys in blue whenever they screw up vs non leo screw ups. I swore I'd never get into a generalization conversation but this incident really strikes a nerve. I should have stuck with my original statement;

"I was going to ask what he picked up, it looked like a cane, post 8 answered that. I wasn't there but having seen my dad pull the cane out of the back of his truck just like that my first thought was what the **** is the cop shooting at. I'll stand by that. "

Gotta go with rambone here. Exactly who deemed the elderly gentleman's actions inappropriate? I'm sure that Mr. Canipe did'nt feel they were at the time and obviously did'nt have the slightest inclination he would be shot. Two very different perspectives at play here on the part of both parties involved. One being the officer perceiving a threat that required deadly force and the other being that of the gentleman that was acting in an lawful and appropriate manner from his perspective.

I want to be absolutely sure of what you guys are saying before I go on. You both, are of the belief, that if you are stopped by police, the act of getting out of your car, and walking towards the officer, while temporarily stopping to retrieve something hidden from view, in back of a truck bed, is the appropriate thing to do? An act that has absolutely zero cause for concern?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This guy did nothing wrong right?... well, until he pulled out his gun.

[video=youtube;60a2xIz600A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60a2xIz600A[/video]

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This guy probably opened the door to stretch his legs, no cause for concern...

[video=youtube;OTRVnCidZUw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTRVnCidZUw[/video]

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This guy's grandpa must have taught him about meeting police as a courtesy....

[video=youtube;AR_4eB22CVc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR_4eB22CVc[/video]

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What a nice guy, it's cold, and he didn't want the officer to walk so far, so he decided to meet him half way (looks a little older, 'eh?)....

[video=youtube;eSxuhZ3HdQo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSxuhZ3HdQo[/video]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This guy's grandpa must have taught him about meeting police as a courtesy....

[video=youtube;AR_4eB22CVc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR_4eB22CVc[/video]

Now that was just ****ing stupid. Not the LEO but the idiot jumping out leaving rig in gear and firing on a LEO that obviously had him way outgunned.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why worry about strangers?....

[video=youtube;fMxRTWwcWrs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMxRTWwcWrs[/video]

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Totally appropriate, people have been hopping hop of cars since well before 1979...

[video=youtube;m4rC78GKBZM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4rC78GKBZM[/video]

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I thought cowboys were good guys?

[video=youtube;qpmp13ePolI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpmp13ePolI[/video]

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    All the training in the world can't account for mindset at the very moment of any incident. An iota of distraction, preconceiving what's going down without actually paying attention. "the eye sees what it wants to see."
    I'm sure I wouldn't have shot, but that's from here, not on the scene with whatever is going through a mind at 'that' moment.

Top Bottom