• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Wife and I are newly retired and have been dragging our travel trailer all over the midwest. Just came back from a trip to Kansas City to visit friends. I-70 from about Cloverdale to Illinois border was full of crappy stretches. Some were the "WTF" type. Pulling a 8,000 lb trailer you feel every pothole. Even had to make an "on my back" inspection of the trailer axles and hangers at a rest stop. I'm pretty cautious, usually running 65mph or so. I keep my stuff maintained and it just annoys the ............ out of me.

C'mon Indiana - we can do better!! Where is all that gas tax money going?

We have have been driving to FL, mostly down I65, and with the exception of an awful stretch through BIrmingham, the KY/TN/AL/FL portions are OK.

Any truckers/frequent travelers chime in ?

OK - Rant is over..........

Attachments

• RVandTRuck.jpg
      RVandTRuck.jpg
      448.3 KB · Views: 22

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I believe most of that happened during the severe cold snap a few months ago.

The pot holes on I-65 north of Lafayette made the news as they had it down to one lane while emergency repairs were made, I don't recall hearing about I-70 though.

I-65 through most of Kentucky is amazing compared to most of our interstates, with its 3 concrete lanes in each direction...

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    If you don't like Indiana roads, you better not go north to Michigan. Gretchen ran on a ticket of "Fix the damn roads" but it seems that the gas tax isn't doing that up here either.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Short answer...they don't care. I've posted about it before in these relevant threads. Doing the same as you with US travel. That stretch of road you mentioned is one of the worst with I'd imagine a much higher than average death rate. I've traveled that segment a lot.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Because we spend money on more roads and then complain we don't have enough money to repair the roads we have. And when we do, we contract it out to companies who cut corners and build roads they know will fail in 2 years and then they'll get to charge to fix it again.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Wife and I are newly retired and have been dragging our travel trailer all over the midwest. Just came back from a trip to Kansas City to visit friends. I-70 from about Cloverdale to Illinois border was full of crappy stretches. Some were the "WTF" type. Pulling a 8,000 lb trailer you feel every pothole. Even had to make an "on my back" inspection of the trailer axles and hangers at a rest stop. I'm pretty cautious, usually running 65mph or so. I keep my stuff maintained and it just annoys the ............ out of me.

C'mon Indiana - we can do better!! Where is all that gas tax money going?

We have have been driving to FL, mostly down I65, and with the exception of an awful stretch through BIrmingham, the KY/TN/AL/FL portions are OK.

Any truckers/frequent travelers chime in ?

OK - Rant is over..........
    The answer to your inquiry is:
    Blame rests on the perverted priorities of the bureaucrats at INDOT! :runaway:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    we contract it out to companies who cut corners and build roads they know will fail in 2 years and then they'll get to charge to fix it again.
    This. Same companies, every two or three years rebuilding the same roads for the same millions and millions of dollars, putting up six miles of barrels for every 10' of actual work space and yet, somehow beyond all possible logic or explanation, those roads will need rebuilt again within weeks and our politicians will happily write more monstrous checks to keep the insanity going.

Been going on for decades, the work never ends and the money never stops rolling and Indiana proudly maintains some of the worst stretches of I70 & I65 in the country.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    I drove from AZ to PA a couple years ago with my F150 and 10,000lbs in tow. Unfortunately, IN I-70 was at the top for the worst. The east side of I-70 just inside OH is spine shattering. NM going through any city is terrifying! OH I-70 was the most stress free driving! Smooth and wide with plenty of shoulder.

With that being said, with a 70mph speed limit, a few speed bumps might keep people awake!

Everything I owned was in these 2 rigs for that journey. 20220513_174335.jpg 20220513_174412.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom