I want to buy a new Ankle gun, I need your input! (From Afghanistan)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ok, lets make this fun.... VOTE

• Total voters

cox7215

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    Ok, here is my question for the day, I need your input……

PART 1: What are you currently carrying for a ankle and why?

PART 2: What are you opinions on what is the best all around Ankle Carry Weapon?

Please feel free to share ant personal experiences and what works for you, I am prior LE so I use love to carry off duty on my ankle, but I gave my old ankle gun to a family member to help them out in a time of need. (He had to sell his only gun in the house to pay a bill and I just couldn’t let someone my brother at that, go unarmed) I have since told him to just keep the weapon.

So good news for me is its time to replace that gun, (It was a small inexpensive .380) I want to order something and have it sent to my house back home in the next few weeks or so, all you info will greatly help…..

NOTE: I am really interested if anyone carries the compact Glock or maybe the compact Springfield XD on the ankle or are these guns to big for that kind of carry?

Thanks R
    :patriot:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

NOTE: I am really interested if anyone carries the compact Glock or maybe the compact Springfield XD on the ankle or are these guns to big for that kind of carry?

:patriot:

I don't ankle carry, but I've seen people carrying G26's on the ankle. With even slightly baggy pants it disappears completely. FWIW, the XD9SC is virtually identical in size and aspect (just the grip angle is different), so I would expect it to wear the same as a G26.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As I'm sure that you know... something with the heft of the G26 or XD-SC will be painfully evident with every step that you take; even with the highest end ankle holsters.

I like the IDEA of a nice 9mm carried that way (even if it is the slowest method to draw from), but the execution of it would keep me away from it.

In lieu of the two above pistols, might also want to look at the KelTec P11, KelTec PF-9, and/or the Walther PPS. (The PPS is hefty, too...)

For something smaller, yet just as heavy, there are plenty of Walther PPK/S-type choices out there, too. FEG PA-63, Polish P-64, etc etc.

But I think that you'd find your biggest "bang" for the lighest weight in an airweight J-frame revolver; chambered in either .38+p or .357. Can get a 12oz .357 these days!!! (not that I'd ever want to shoot one with a magnum loading!)

-J-

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    I would suggest you stay with the battle proven Glock in a compact. Just remember whatever you choose to carry in an ankle location will be getting lots of dust and grit in the works in your location (with every step). By all accounts, Glocks are built to function with this crud in them if needed. Another thing to consider, many will accept a full size magazine if you need to reload. I do not think I would trust my life to a Kel-TEC in your situation. Maybe in a two shot battle but nothing protracted like you might see.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    As I'm sure that you know... something with the heft of the G26 or XD-SC will be painfully evident with every step that you take; even with the highest end ankle holsters.

I like the IDEA of a nice 9mm carried that way (even if it is the slowest method to draw from), but the execution of it would keep me away from it.

In lieu of the two above pistols, might also want to look at the KelTec P11, KelTec PF-9, and/or the Walther PPS. (The PPS is hefty, too...)

For something smaller, yet just as heavy, there are plenty of Walther PPK/S-type choices out there, too. FEG PA-63, Polish P-64, etc etc.

But I think that you'd find your biggest "bang" for the lighest weight in an airweight J-frame revolver; chambered in either .38+p or .357. Can get a 12oz .357 these days!!! (not that I'd ever want to shoot one with a magnum loading!)

-J-

i agree with most of the above. i don't ankle carry any longer (i've moved my second gun to my belt and my hideout to my pocket) but the lighter the better. the kel-tecs would fit as would one of the super light revolvers. i tried the g26, but found it a bit chubby and heavy for ankle carry. ymmv.

huawilso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    New Castle, In
    recommendations

At times I carry one of two different ankle guns. The first is a g27 40 cal however, after a lond period of time it still gets heavy for me it depends on the quality of holster you use. The second ankle gun is the Smith & Wesson 642 38 +p I can carry it all day and never know it is there. It is a great gun not fun to shoot because of the recoil, but in an emergency it will do the job. :twocents:

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    I carry a Kahr PM40 in a Fobus Ankle holster. I'm 6'3" 250 lbs and it is light, not as light as my old KelTec P3AT but I like it better. I also carry a Glock 33 in a Fobus but it is too bulky. I have carried in an ankle holster for about 17 years and prefer this way in the cooler months.

Flaregun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Nothing wrong with a small frame .380. I like the Kel Tec, but if you want to spend more you can look at the Kahr P380. I am also curious about the DB380.

kirkorner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Clay City, IN
    I just bought a 26. I tried a friends ankle holster for his 27, but my pants are not baggy enough for a glock. I really don't see how one would be very concealable that way. If I was to get strictly an ankle gun, then it would probably be an airweight revolver of some sorts.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I carried a S&W 442 in a ankle holster for 12 years. I have tendonitus in that ankle to prove it. IMO the lightweight 38 special revolver is the ideal ankle gun. The problem with any ankle gun is accessability. The only time I had my hand on my ankle gun was when someone approached me while I was sitting in the car. There was never any other time when I considered trying to use my ankle gun...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    IF your primary carry was a Glock, then I'd suggest trying to make a subcompact version work, even if it is a bit chunky. The interchangeable magazine would be great.

However, if you're not worried about keeping your guns similar, then I'd go the lightweight revolver route.

I carried a P3AT in a Galco elastic ankle holster when I worked overnights at a hotel for a couple of years. It was very comfortable and I would completely forget it was there. I just never got 100% comfortable in its reliability and sold it off.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I am a big fan of the .38 special. I carried a charter arms undercover .38 on the ankle a lot when dressed up without a jacket, and could not conceal very easily otherwise. Also sometimes carried as backup, as the revolver always goes bang and never any issues. I recently moved to an air weight version....which is a MUCH nicer weight on the ankle. Almost forget its there!

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    What is up with all the revolver ankle carry. I did for about a week back in the early 90's. I love revolvers, but not for ankle carry...yuck

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    What is up with all the revolver ankle carry. I did for about a week back in the early 90's. I love revolvers, but not for ankle carry...yuck

Not to hijack the thread, but any specific reasons you would like to share? Just curious as to specifically why revolvers on the ankle are "yuck". :dunno:

Bob Wyre

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    +1 on the S&W 442 in .38 Spl +p.

Stuff it in a Renagade ankle.

Been using this combination for about 12 years.

Top Bottom