• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have an associate that was looking to purchase a lightweight 1911, my recommendation was the Lightweight SR 1911. Well he decided nothing short of a Dan Wesson was going to do it for him, so he went that route. Now he is complaining about recoil. And wonders if there is anything that can be done to reduce perceived recoil? I do have to admit I when I picked up his Guardian it is substantially lighter than my Ruger.

thanks

They can go with lighter bullets like Dean suggested. Proper grip as mentioned above also, or shoot it enough to get used to it.

signal-2021-08-29-214842.gif

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have LW Commanders, Dan Wessons and a Kimber in 9mm, 38 Super and 45. The 9 and Super are pretty pleasant shooters but the 45 isn’t that bad IMHO. I have a Combat Commander that is all steel in 45 and it shoots great, as does my Officers ACP in 45. I guess it boils down to personal preference and how you perceive and handle recoil. I shoot a fair amount of 10mm and 357 so I guess I handle recoil a little differently.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Always a trade-off between pistol weight and felt recoil...when you give up pistol weight, you gain felt recoil! Light weight carry pistols don't always translate into being a good (aka, comfortable) range pistol!
    I don't mind a S&W 360J in .357 magnum as long as I'm using 110 grain JHP's...
    But shooting a 158 or 180 grain through it...would be absolutely brutal, IMO!!!
    I know a lot of people who won't even like .38's through it...as far as felt recoil goes.
    To each their own...good thing there's many different manufacturers and models in various calibers to choose from!

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Or if a 45 is too much in a lightweight frame, he could look at a 9mm commander size 1911. My Colt 9mm is softer to shoot, but with 10+1 of premium JHPs, I wouldn’t hesitate to carry it.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I have kind of thrown out a few suggestions such as getting a grip exercise and doing several sets a day that was dismissed as that’s not going to help. So I kind of did my part by asking and will leave it lay.
    dry fire and grip exercises are boring. matches and classes are much more fun.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have kind of thrown out a few suggestions such as getting a grip exercise and doing several sets a day that was dismissed as that’s not going to help. So I kind of did my part by asking and will leave it lay.
    You can suggest he sell it on INGO ;)

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Always a trade-off between pistol weight and felt recoil...when you give up pistol weight, you gain felt recoil! Light weight carry pistols don't always translate into being a good (aka, comfortable) range pistol!
    I don't mind a S&W 360J in .357 magnum as long as I'm using 110 grain JHP's...
    But shooting a 158 or 180 grain through it...would be absolutely brutal, IMO!!!
    I know a lot of people who won't even like .38's through it...as far as felt recoil goes.
    To each their own...good thing there's many different manufacturers and models in various calibers to choose from!
    PeM50wg.jpg

Depending on the model of 360 you have I would recommend rethinking the 110gr 357mag it will flame cut the front face of the titanium cylinder. If it's the less expensive model with the steel cylinder I believe 110 magnums are G2G

I did once shoot a cylinder full of 158gr federal Magnum ammo and that was not an experience I will soon forget. Never was brave enough to order the really hot buffalo bore ammo to try in it for fear of it breaking my hand lol. The 125gr short barrel Speer Gold Dot 357mag loading is basically ideal for the 360 IMHO.

:ingo: :abused:

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I have an associate that was looking to purchase a lightweight 1911, my recommendation was the Lightweight SR 1911. Well he decided nothing short of a Dan Wesson was going to do it for him, so he went that route. Now he is complaining about recoil. And wonders if there is anything that can be done to reduce perceived recoil? I do have to admit I when I picked up his Guardian it is substantially lighter than my Ruger.

thanks

1. The finger groove Hogue grips might be more comfortable. I have them on a couple of DW 10mm and they seem to help quite a bit.

2. The steel-framed Valor pistol is heavier and feels more solid, in the same size pistol, at least to me.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    PeM50wg.jpg

Depending on the model of 360 you have I would recommend rethinking the 110gr 357mag it will flame cut the front face of the titanium cylinder. If it's the less expensive model with the steel cylinder I believe 110 magnums are G2G

I did once shoot a cylinder full of 158gr federal Magnum ammo and that was not an experience I will soon forget. Never was brave enough to order the really hot buffalo bore ammo to try in it for fear of it breaking my hand lol. The 125gr short barrel Speer Gold Dot 357mag loading is basically ideal for the 360 IMHO.

:ingo: :abused:
    I have the steel cylinder so I should be okay with 110 grain JHP's...

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Anyone i shoot with conplains of recoil, i will bring out one of my 500SW Mags and have them shoot it. After that, "perceived" recoil from common calibers are laughable. May sound funny, but actually works.

tmcindy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2014
    Avon, IN
    +1 on lightweight guns. For range use that is. Sight it in and stop taking it to the range. lol I have a Hellcat that I love (backup pocket pistol). However, like all micros, not that much fun to shoot at the range. After about 50 rounds, I'm done. The difference between it and my CZ P10S (carry gun) even, is amazing. Its a joy to shoot at the range. Not a HUGH difference in size, but, quite a difference in felt recoil. Can't wait to take my new Glock 40 MOS (truck gun) to the range. :thumbsup:
    Bottom line; carry guns are for carry, not the range. Well, I guess I could carry my Glock 40. But, I'd have to wear a very robust belt and some very robust suspenders. This G40 is a beast. lol Have it in my hand right now. Can't stop playing with it. Need to get to the range. Hopefully, I will have time today if I can get all my chores done in good time (probably not, I got real behind on my chores). lol

Loser

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2021
    Ft.white,fla.

thanks
    He can put a 22 conversion in it So he can stop whining..

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Drop down to a 185gr bullet. Less recoil, lots of people can't shoot a 230gr in a full size gun either. That's why they shoot 9mm in a full size 1911, lol.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Tell him to go buy a 629PD in .44 Magnum and a couple of boxes of Buffalo Bore. Take it to the range and shoot until all the ammo is gone. After that experience the alloy-framed 1911 will seem pretty manageable in comparison.

I mean, good grief, Nancy...it's just a .45ACP, and the action of the semi-auto absorbs a lot of the recoil!

Top Bottom