I have been reinforcing my decision to never again fly in an airplane.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    This thread, and BBI's Portugal thread has me itching like a tweaker right now...

full
    I don’t make memes but if I did right now it would be a pawn stars “best I can do is ghey street fighter”

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I was accepted at Rose - too small and no girls (at that time).
    I was there with the inaugural coed class. It wouldn't have mattered. They were pretty much all dating upper-classmen by the end of Orientation. (Only mostly an exaggeration.)

The size compared with Purdue, to me, was a feature rather than a bug. The only thing I missed out on was marching band.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Two of my friends are Purdue Engineering Grads. The ball busting is huge, Im like what happened, Did Maryland College Park and Hulman turn you down?

I once gave one a tee shirt that I had printed,
    Perdue Engineering.
    It was money well spent.
    My (dearly departed) Dad was an electronic and software engineer who came up the way engineers can't anymore. Civilian and Army technical school, technician, draftsman working for an engineer, apprentice to an engineer, then an engineer. 20 years at Bendix doing space and missile stuff including parts of the Saturn V and Talos missile guidance. 25+ years at Miles (then Bayer) designing medical devices including the memory and self-reporting features on the Glucometer. He and his team obtained a few patents for that work including for the algorithm that runs the insulin pumps that test the blood and inject insulin automatically. It's just that it took until recently for the tech to get small enough to be wearable rather than rolling around on a cart.

I say all this to say this....sure, as to his work, he was a crotchety old man...even when not old, but I never heard him say much positive about Purdue engineers. Granted, the ones he worked for were engineers with MBA and were brought in to manage more than engineer. My Dad wasn't a complainer...except when it came to managers (without any patents) who were telling the guys who had been there and done that to do things they tried and rejected decades ago.

Last edited:

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Now you’re just bragging.
    Rose turned me down, I had to make a last minute decision between Wabash and Purdue engineering, and quit Purdue after one year.
    Hence the screen name.
    Interesting. I did a stint at both Rose and PU. Add in a junior college too.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My (dearly departed) Dad was an electronic and software engineer who came up the way engineers can't anymore. Civilian and Army technical school, technician, draftsman working for an engineer, apprentice to an engineer, then an engineer. 20 years at Bendix doing space and missile stuff including parts of the Saturn V and Talos missile guidance. 25+ years at Miles (then Bayer) designing medical devices including the memory and self-reporting features on the Glucometer. He and his team obtained a few patents for that work including for the algorithm that runs the insulin pumps that test the blood and inject insulin automatically. It's just that it took until recently for the tech to get small enough to be wearable rather than rolling around on a cart.

I say all this to say this....sure, as to his work, he was a crotchety old man...even when not old, but I never heard him say much positive about Purdue engineers. Granted, the ones he worked for were engineers with MBA and were brought in to manage more than engineer. My Dad wasn't a complainer...except when it came to managers (without any patents) who were telling the guys who had been there and done that to do things they tried and rejected decades ago.
    I have felt your fathers perdue pain before myself. He and I would have been friends.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    In the early 80's, took a trip to St Thomas,
    Back then you flew into San Juan and took a prop hop to St Thomas.
    The hops we took were on Prinair, it was more fun that a piston DC 3 ride to Greenland.
    Blue smoke, stress cracks that escaped the riveted repair and a 2,000 ft mandated ceiling.
    Paul Kersey approves of that choice

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Flying a plane probably get boring for the pros, but when ATC try's to divert you away from Hopkins in Cleveland to Burke because of the weather and then tells you you will have to maintain 130 knots on approach if you want in, and you take it, solid intruments almost all the way to the ground and you get in, you feel like the baddest things walking on two legs for a while. I miss that ego elixer, it was good while it lasted.
    What kind of a/c? I've flown some where 130 would be uncomfortably slow and some where 130 would be cruising at climb power - and a couple that could only get to 130 going straight down

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    What kind of a/c? I've flown some where 130 would be uncomfortably slow and some where 130 would be cruising at climb power - and a couple that could only get to 130 going straight down

Lance, 130 was over gear extension speed so I had to cut power about 100 feet above the runway and slow down. Fortunately the runway at Hopkins is long, but I landed on about the last quarter of it.;)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So did you perhaps have destination and diversion reversed in your post, you wanted Lakefront and they diverted you to Hopkins?

Top Bottom