• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I'm done every other month! If you guys only knew just how many times i've held the CZ 97,,ugh!! WHATTA BRICK!!
    With that said, its prolly gonna be my next purchase.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I always say I’m done after my last purchase, but then end up “needing” stuff go along with it and then one thing leads to another.... and dammit end up with another. And the process repeats itself, I just can’t help it! One more and that’s it, I’m done, I swear.....lol

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I'm with ya on this...leaning more towards older, sometimes out-of-production, revolvers.

There so much 'new' stuff out there...and yet nothing's really trippin' my trigger...so to speak.

The biggest part for me is, settling into a caliber (.45 acp) and sticking with what I already have...cause I don't 'need' anything different or new!

I went down that thought process several years ago, I really like 40 and 45, but the day may come where my wrists can't handle them anymore or where I can't rack the slide. Those conditions are also covered. Squeeze balls are my favorite toys for my hands.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I went down that thought process several years ago, I really like 40 and 45, but the day may come where my wrists can't handle them anymore or where I can't rack the slide. Those conditions are also covered. Squeeze balls are my favorite toys for my hands.

Yup...I understand that! I have a few .357's and .38's (both shoot .38 Special) ready for when those days come...

I'm just not a 9mm fan...after helping a buddy do some ballistics testing, back in '97, and watching 9mm rounds all just ricochet (aka, 'bounce') off of windshields during the junkyard part of the 'practical-application' of the 5 calibers we were testing (whereas 158 grain standard-pressure .38's all went right through) that was a huge eye-opener for how the power-factor in a defense round really applies, after which I've always just sort of shied away from 9mm.

All of the other calibers penetrated nicely, some better than others) and the .357 magnum and the .45 acp out-did them all (calibers tested over a 3 week period for accuracy, velocity, reliability, and practicality were: 9mm, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, and .45 acp...with a variety of each caliber including FMJ, JHP, standard and +P pressured rounds tested...we fired over 1,000 rounds, just on Junk Yard Day!)

A lot of people are all about the 'gun' part of the home/personal defense discussion...I'm more about the caliber part as that's what actually provides the 'defense' in all of it...the 'gun' is just the platform for the chosen caliber!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yup...I understand that! I have a few .357's and .38's (both shoot .38 Special) ready for when those days come...

I'm just not a 9mm fan...after helping a buddy do some ballistics testing, back in '97, and watching 9mm rounds all just ricochet (aka, 'bounce') off of windshields during the junkyard part of the 'practical-application' of the 5 calibers we were testing (whereas 158 grain standard-pressure .38's all went right through) that was a huge eye-opener for how the power-factor in a defense round really applies, after which I've always just sort of shied away from 9mm.

All of the other calibers penetrated nicely, some better than others) and the .357 magnum and the .45 acp out-did them all (calibers tested over a 3 week period for accuracy, velocity, reliability, and practicality were: 9mm, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, and .45 acp...with a variety of each caliber including FMJ, JHP, standard and +P pressured rounds tested...we fired over 1,000 rounds, just on Junk Yard Day!)

A lot of people are all about the 'gun' part of the home/personal defense discussion...I'm more about the caliber part as that's what actually provides the 'defense' in all of it...the 'gun' is just the platform for the chosen caliber!

Curious as to how you found the .40 in your test as to the other rounds.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hey OP.
    Look..... Shiny.......

Fvjx5k7.jpg

fOZrn9H.jpg

Awesome!! :thumbsup:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis

That's what she said.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Been seriously looking for several days. NADA jumps out at me. So I opened the Brownells wish book and took a lot of notes. The Dan Wesson Commander is gtting some upgrades. I am also handing off the last of my CZ's that are stock as built. Full CGW's pro package.

Complete what I have.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Every time I think I'm done it ends up being more of a pause than a stop. Most of the pauses end with multiple gun purchase though as I'm always finding new guns I'm interested in.

Case in point, just yesterday I was surfing GunBroker looking for a nice CZ 550 FS in an interesting caliber. After that, I did a more general search for the keyword Mannlicher. Long story short, half an hour later I ended up with two Steyr rifles inbound, neither of which have Mannlicher style stocks. Even with those two purchases, I'm still at only slightly over half as many gun purchases this year as last year. And both of those numbers would likely be a slow week or average Tuesday for Doddg!:D

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I'm with ya on this...leaning more towards older, sometimes out-of-production, revolvers.

Same here. Even moved some seldom used ones out to make room for one I will shoot! Attending local gun shows and a LGS looking for that special model is fulfilling. It's amazing what people trade or sell...and being in the right place at the right time....sweet!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Well I was done last night when I went to bed. I was still done when I got up this morning. Went to a gun show and sold 1 and bought 2. Hmmm, I think I am done again, but after all... tomorrow is another day.
    Kind of like the drunk that only drinks one... right after the other!

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i hadnt bought a gun in over 20 years,
    until this year,
    and ive bought 2 so far
    i have 1 more on the list i'd like to get. it'll probably be a xmas present to myself.

i need to get my bullets ordered, and get them loaded for USPSA next year,
    and start stockpiling the 6000+ rd of 22LR i'll need next year.

:ugh:

:cheers:

Top Bottom