• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Oh if only slightly.:ingo: I was the kid that if the sign said "wet paint don't touch" I always did.....what, I still do.

Because of kids like you -
    I learned from repairing and painting stuff on high school and college campuses to paint one side of the room or hallway first and place those "Wet Paint" signs on the opposite dry side. The kids walk towards the signs and away from the wet walls every time. Other wall... Repeat.
    I've sat and watched this for years.

Yes you'll get that one spaz kid that checks both walls then tells me I put the sign on the wrong wall. :xmad:
    Little Bastards.

Hey OP.
    Look..... Shiny.......

Fvjx5k7.jpg

fOZrn9H.jpg

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Old enough to have my eyes on the SSI carrot dangling before me I too have found little reason to drool over the counter at the LGS and actually sold off some long guns to extended family just cause they had become a PIA (guns, not family) to work around in the cabinet. Maybe this can all be blamed on low T, in reality suspect it's actually due to too much polymer IMHO and not enough decent wheel guns at reasonable co$t wherever I've look.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Oh if only slightly.:ingo: I was the kid that if the sign said "wet paint don't touch" I always did.....what, I still do.

Particularly in these times, it's the only way to find out if they're lying to you. Which they often are! :):

I'm not about to say I'm done. Sure as I do, I'll be lying to you, too.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Because of kids like you -
    I learned from repairing and painting stuff on high school and college campuses to paint one side of the room or hallway first and place those "Wet Paint" signs on the opposite dry side. The kids walk towards the signs and away from the wet walls every time. Other wall... Repeat.
    I've sat and watched this for years.

Yes you'll get that one spaz kid that checks both walls then tells me I put the sign on the wrong wall. :xmad:
    Little Bastards.

Hey OP.
    Look..... Shiny.......

Fvjx5k7.jpg

fOZrn9H.jpg
    I have one, not a S&W, but one that holds seven rounds.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I'm 60 years old and done. I have what I want. I bought 2 pistols two months ago and now I'm cured. I have not seen anything new in the last three years that I want and I'm not into military stuff. My accessories are where I want them, I'm good on my main supply of ammo, and I'm satisfied. I've searched the want ads for two months and have not seen anything that tickles my fancy. What I have works very well with no hang-ups or problems.

My last really want was an all metal 45acp. 1911's don't suit me and was surprised at how few pistols there are that are all metal outside of 1911s. I bought a Sig p227 for less than 500 and was disappointed at the size of it for ten rounds and traded it, then bought a S&W 457 and all is good. I finally found a good finger extension for a Glock 30sf I have and now the Glock fits great. The extensions came from NDZ and now I have a ten round pistol that is easy to carry.

My three main carry pistols are Glock 23, Glock 30sf, and Sig P229.

If, and that is a really big if, it changes I'll update, but don't hold your breath.

I just turned 40 years old and live and breath guns! I sometimes get to the point you are at. I walk away from it for a few months until the fire ignites again. My main concentration lately has been reloading and long range rifle, since my 12 year old is getting into it. IMO....don’t burn yourself out. Enjoy what you have until the next greatest firearm invention come to surface.

Take care my fellow INGO’er!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I'm 60 years old and done. I have what I want. I bought 2 pistols two months ago and now I'm cured. I have not seen anything new in the last three years that I want and I'm not into military stuff. My accessories are where I want them, I'm good on my main supply of ammo, and I'm satisfied. I've searched the want ads for two months and have not seen anything that tickles my fancy. What I have works very well with no hang-ups or problems.

My last really want was an all metal 45acp. 1911's don't suit me and was surprised at how few pistols there are that are all metal outside of 1911s. I bought a Sig p227 for less than 500 and was disappointed at the size of it for ten rounds and traded it, then bought a S&W 457 and all is good. I finally found a good finger extension for a Glock 30sf I have and now the Glock fits great. The extensions came from NDZ and now I have a ten round pistol that is easy to carry.

My three main carry pistols are Glock 23, Glock 30sf, and Sig P229.

If, and that is a really big if, it changes I'll update, but don't hold your breath.

Wow! I'm 72, been collecting for many years, but had to wait till I raised our 6 kids to invest much money in firearms and ammo. But I have had at least the last 30 years or so with enough funding to sate my appetite most of the time! I try not to miss any local Gun Shows, just returned from the Tipton gun show this afternoon.

Didn't find any sweet deals on firearms but did find a pretty good buy on some .308 ammo. Guy had 500 round cases of Federal FMJ 150 Gr for $250, couldn't pass that up!

I have kind of slowed down purchasing hand guns. Was carrying a Colt 45ACP Double Eagle for years, had to change to a Kimber Solo 9mm due to age related back issues. But have Revolvers (Colts and Rugers and many semi-autos - NO Tupperware).

Son and I collect all types of firearms and ammo and we currently have several safes full. I like old Military but also have modern AR's, LR-308, Armalite 50BMG, Carbines, Lever actions, etc.

I don't see myself slowing down or stopping adding firearms, ammo or reloading supplies until I die! Neither of us sell any firearms or related items so all will be passed on to my sons. I don't hunt anymore but still love to target shoot when possible.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    There is no burnout here, I'm just done. What I have works for me and will easily last the rest of my life. When I go my estate will be auctioned and proceeds split with the kids. All my last buys, but one an Arex Rex Zero 1 because of the First Lady, have been for duplicates for the last year and a half. It really is a matter of not wanting anything else. I really have looked forward to this day for some time with a lot of planning and research. Say the newest 9 comes out, I have 17 rounders and 8 rounders with several in between, what can they do mine won't? I like to be content and am. Now it is my home's turn.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is no burnout here, I'm just done. What I have works for me and will easily last the rest of my life. When I go my estate will be auctioned and proceeds split with the kids. All my last buys, but one an Arex Rex Zero 1 because of the First Lady, have been for duplicates for the last year and a half. It really is a matter of not wanting anything else. I really have looked forward to this day for some time with a lot of planning and research. Say the newest 9 comes out, I have 17 rounders and 8 rounders with several in between, what can they do mine won't? I like to be content and am. Now it is my home's turn.

This sounds like a well laid out path. I am close in this as to do anything else is redundant. There is not anything new in the box that stirs any desires.
    The property has taken a front seat here as well.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. I know this will be humorous to those that know me, and especially those who poke fun at my buying/selling ways (well-deserved), but I haven't been very interested in buying anything different (ok, I looked and read the ad on a couple), for a few weeks now, actually, since I bought my CZ Rami (for the 2nd time: private story).
    2. In fact, I intend to sell one of my Ruger Mark 4 guns, and one of my S/W 22A-1 guns since I happen to "accidentally" end up with two of each (b/c of price, and I thought I'd update for better accessories on the 2nd ones I bought: sights, mags, etc.) to trim down even more.

3. After you quit laughing, you can run a betting pool on how long that will last. :rofl:
    4. Careful though, the X factor is that I'm preparing for retirement and I have my wife's SUV to pay off and I just barely missed the bullet on replacing the HVAC Friday in my 13 yr. old "new" house I moved into last November.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    1) Don't listen to your wives who's agenda is to tell you ONLY the downsides of gun collecting/accumulating.
    2) Think of ammo as "normal maintenance" for you valuable collection/accumulation.
    3) Don't be dogmatic about the status of items in your collection/accumulation.
    4) Always remember that the reason a wife would want a collection/accumulation liquidated is so she can have a chance to spend it or have it spent on her.

Just because a woman thinks there is a better use for the investment capital you have wisely secured for all the years you have been shooting does NOT mean they suddenly have absolutely no value. Firearms are history, art, value and usability all wrapped into one.
    Can you use gold to protect yourself and your belongings and still have it at the end of the day?
    Can you use other artwork for entertainment and satisfaction without having to sell it?
    Can you take an investment portfolio into a room of other investors and not only stimulate interest but have numerous offers to acquire it from you for more than it's face value and much more than you have invested?

And when (or if) you do choose to part with one, what else would possibly attract not only investors, but art collectors, historians and those who just want to use it for what it was designed to try and out bid one another.
    Gentlemen, we are at the apex of the investors pyramid! If the economy collapses our investments not only maintains value but increases. Rejoice! We are as secure as we have prepared ourselves! Long after they have burned paintings to stay warm, live in collectible automobiles that no longer have fuel to run and melt down gold to make more projectiles for firearms, we will be safe and well fed with all that we need to barter and trade with each other until kingdom come...

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I understand being “done”. I was done done a few years ago when I decided to make room and got rid of all my long guns, things change, interest change, now I’m back into long guns and the collection keeps building. Good luck not finding something that you just have to buy.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I will probably never be 'done'. I am more discriminating now though. There are few holes in my accumulation...I wouldn't call it a collection; I've been accumulating for years. Still always on the lookout for that something I may need to fill a spot in history or use. History really has more of a draw for me now.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It is my considered opinion, and ONLY my opinion, that if you have not bought at least two guns per year, for the last 5 years, YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT!

YMMV

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    That's my point, I just enjoy fondling them. Is that proper to say? I hope the images stay put when I turn off my computer, as that's where I linked from. If it works, I'll post some others in my 'collection'. These 2 are Winchester 9422's, in 22 magnum. The non-checkered is a 1978, and the checkered a 1988.

Them shore is purdyful!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I can relate OP. I’m finding it harder and harder to get excited over new guns. Or, maybe it’s that the excitement does not last long enough for me to plunk down cash. This weekend, I realized that CZ is producing a small number of guns that I’d consider to be my grail gun. A compact 75B in stainless. I was close to plunking a credit card down and dropping hundreds more that it’s worth but the desire just evaporated for some reason.

I have enough guns to keep me happy for decades and I have enough that could use some tweaking to keep my project bench busy too. There is more out there in life though, and the grand that I would have dropped on the new stainless compact would much better be spent improving my basement bar.

Maybe that once you get to a certain point, each new gun brings diminished returns. That $500 to $1000 adds a whole lot more to your shooting fun when spent on the first or second gun, but when you get to the point of looking at a gun that is identical to something you have, but just shinier, it really is not adding much to your shooting experience.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have a renewed passion for S&W stainless wheel guns.

I'm with ya on this...leaning more towards older, sometimes out-of-production, revolvers.

There so much 'new' stuff out there...and yet nothing's really trippin' my trigger...so to speak.

The biggest part for me is, settling into a caliber (.45 acp) and sticking with what I already have...cause I don't 'need' anything different or new!

Top Bottom