• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You know where ... and you know who signed off on it.

Ya know, I have mixed feelings about that. My dad was a major gardener. I think if this had been an option for him, he might have wanted this. I mean, I doubt it (he was a Goldwater Republican), if it came from CA, but I'm thinking if the politics were taken out of it? Maybe.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm not opposed necessarily. (I'm not sure about this particular person pushing for it and the associated business). Cemeteries the way they have been done isn't sustainable with the population growing the way it is (and not in the progressive since of sustainability but just the use of land for cemeteries overall), and embalming seems like it can't be a great thing for ground water, etc in the long run.

Cremation and other methods like this just seem to make better use of limited resources.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    Ugh, progs are smearing themselves over something sensible again…

I am looking into alternatives to forking my hard-earned money over to the scam funeral mafia.
    Wasting perfectly good high-grade wood, pumping the corpse full of chemicals, trying to hold off natural decomposition — for what? I’m dead one way or another. Wasting good soft soil and stone for a grave that nobody at most two generations later will visit… uselessness.
    The soul will go to the Maker, let the discarded shell go back to dirt, and be remembered for the deeds done and lives touched.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ugh, progs are smearing themselves over something sensible again…

I am looking into alternatives to forking my hard-earned money over to the scam funeral mafia.
    Wasting perfectly good high-grade wood, pumping the corpse full of chemicals, trying to hold off natural decomposition — for what? I’m dead one way or another. Wasting good soft soil and stone for a grave that nobody at most two generations later will visit… uselessness.
    The soul will go to the Maker, let the discarded shell go back to dirt, and be remembered for the deeds done and lives touched.
    Yep. I'd be happy to be ceremoniously/respectfully dumped into a hole in the woods and left to become nutrients for the trees. One last good deed.

But since that's not legal, Cremation it is. And my ashes will be (hopefully) taken for one last skydive and released in freefall.

Weird fact. If your ashes are spread on private property in Indiana, that must be recorded in the deed. I can understand a body. But cremated remains? Why would that be? They are harmless as gravel, or the limescale chips you get out of your water heater, right? Its not like somebody's gonna be digging a footer and go "Hey! Is this a tooth?" Hey @funeralweb , got any input on that? Speaking of, is it legal in IN to bury a body (quickly of course) without a vault in a cardboard "casket"?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Yep. I'd be happy to be ceremoniously/respectfully dumped into a hole in the woods and left to become nutrients for the trees. One last good deed.

But since that's not legal, Cremation it is. And my ashes will be (hopefully) taken for one last skydive and released in freefall.

Weird fact. If your ashes are spread on private property in Indiana, that must be recorded in the deed. I can understand a body. But cremated remains? Why would that be? They are harmless as gravel, or the limescale chips you get out of your water heater, right? Its not like somebody's gonna be digging a footer and go "Hey! Is this a tooth?" Hey @funeralweb , got any input on that? Speaking of, is it legal in IN to bury a body (quickly of course) without a vault in a cardboard "casket"?
    I didn't know that about the property. The neighbor lady that I helped for 6 years prior to her death, was cremated and spread over the farm by her nephew who has a small plane. Her husband had been cremated years earlier after he passed, and his ashes had also been spread in the same manner. Her granddaughter bought their house and now lives there with her family, but I'll mention it to her.

Hubby tells me if he goes first (which is probably likely given that he is older, but who knows), he wants me to put some of his ashes on each of his tree stands. I told him I will spread them over the cat cemetery out in the woods. Either way, he is staying here.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I didn't know that about the property. The neighbor lady that I helped for 6 years prior to her death, was cremated and spread over the farm by her nephew who has a small plane. Her husband had been cremated years earlier after he passed, and his ashes had also been spread in the same manner. Her granddaughter bought their house and now lives there with her family, but I'll mention it to her.

Hubby tells me if he goes first (which is probably likely given that he is older, but who knows), he wants me to put some of his ashes on each of his tree stands. I told him I will spread them over the cat cemetery out in the woods. Either way, he is staying here.
    I don’t think it counts from a plane as you really don’t know where the ashes will blow to.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There is such a thing as a legal "green" burial. I just officiated the grave site service for one. The corpse is simply lowered in the hole wrapped in a cloth. The area is not a mowed and trimmed area, but left to grow wild. The grave is immediately filled and the service takes place later. It appears customary to plant flowers on the mound that are left to grow wild. The funeral directors hate it because it keeps them from making huge mark up on vaults, coffins and all the other accoutrements that are hung on the billing statements.

I personally have no problem with cremation. Beware, if you handle it through a funeral parlor, they will add a huge amount to that cost. In Texas, I made arrangements directly and it was about $800. I have never needed to do that in Indiana.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    No matter what any government regulations are, ashes get spread anywhere people want. I have seen it done on family property, State & National parks, waterways, and other places that were significant to the deceased. Within an hour, it is pretty hard to prove ashes were dumped. On a windy day it would be minutes.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom