How Often Do You Have To Clean a Gun (Really)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I did a full detail strip and clean of my 1911 recently. It sure looks purdy now!

I'm slowly working my way through my magazines. I grab a few, tear them down and scrub them clean. I will have them all clean by spring.

M&P's get oiled often, cleaned occasionally. I was getting some light primer strikes with my 2.0 Compact so I cleaned the striker and channel really good but I still got a light strike this past weekend. The round ignited the second time I tried it.

I'm wondering if it might be time to replace the striker assembly.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    My defensive guns I clean after every range visit, inspect for damage, and lube.

I also do an annual or sometimes semi annual (if I get bored) takedown of all guns, inspect them, and lube. It started as a practice of mine for my carry gun so I was confident in its ability to function but now it's really more to give me time with the kids and teach them about firearms. They loves to help strip, clean, and lube guns.

I have a few plinking guns that I don't mind going a few visits before cleaning, but even those I don't go too long.

I know in most cases, it's not really required to clean everytime you shoot, but I like to keep things looking as good as they function.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    My carry piece gets a wipe down about once a month, a light cleaning after every range session and a deep clean once a year.
    Hunting guns get a wipe down after each trip, a light cleaning before the season and after range/check zero session then a deep clean after the season.
    Plinkers and target guns get a wipe down after each session then a deep clean when performance starts to fall off or a malfunction. Some of those right now can best be described as filthy pigs!
    WIpe down I define as just that, a wipe down with an oily rag. Light clean is minimal disassembly and a few patches through the barrel. Deep clean is removal of all major components (not every little part), thorough scrubbing of barrel and into all the little nooks and crannies. Black powder and after corrosive ammo is the exception, then it is a deep clean after each use.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    After reading this thread I have arrived at the conclusion I might be a tad OCD. I clean everything shot (field strip , not a detail job) after every range trip. It helps me sleep better at night knowing everything is clean and ready to go.

Yes I even clean my .22 pistol after every range trip. That MK4 will eventually be cleaned to death it's why I like it so much due to the easy take down.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    when you have nice things, I find it relaxing to inspect, clean and maintain my inventory. Sometimes, even if it’s already been cleaned and just sitting in the safe for awhile. Plastic game guns, ehhhh not so much. Somehow, Birchwood Casey Wax doesn’t do much to Polymer.

SpartanYeti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2022
    Osceola, IN 46561, USA
    I, typically, clean a firearm after every range visit...unless I know I'll be going back out in a few days or so, and then I give it a good wipe down and run a nylon brush through the barrel to get most fo the residual junk out of it!
    If I know it's going to be a while until I shoot it again, be it a known time or not, I tend to give it a good field-strip cleaning and light oiling!
    When I pick up a used firearm, I do tend to take it apart and clean it good before I take it to the range for the first time...even if it's just to get it good and clean before I use it the first time? It's amazing how dirty some of these firearms are...and what a good cleaning (and checking for broken or damaged parts) can do to aid performance!
    That, and I do just like a clean firearm to start with...
    Sound advice all the way around! I practice the same cleaning practices.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    I try to field strip, inspect, clean, and lube my guns after shooting. Sometimes I don’t get to it for weeks later. I don’t expect the few rounds (even 170-340 rounds) to be enough to cause issues, but if I’m trusting my life to something, then I want it being optimal. Just doing a simple wipe down cleaning is probably enough with most modern handguns, and lube is definitely more important than clean in my humble opinion. But in all honesty, I do try to do both (clean and lube).

neycx1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2022
    Noblesville
    I didn't realize my habit of a deep clean after every range session was borderline OCD....this thread has given me permission to make my life much easier.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I didn't realize my habit of a deep clean after every range session was borderline OCD....this thread has given me permission to make my life much easier.
    I used to clean my firearms to perfection after every range visit. Wasn't too hard when I went a few times per year, lol. But when I started burning 150-200 rounds every weekend, it got old fast.

I'm glad I dropped my OCD tendencies(they are real, lol) and clean much less often. I have even come to appreciate seeing some wear on the stuff I shoot. It means they are being used and not sitting in a safe in perpetuity.

It's not like I will ever wear a firearm out in my lifetime.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I used to clean them every time used, but I got to thinking and reading and stopped doing that for the most part. Some 1911 makers say not to clean it, just lube it during the first 500-1000 rounds.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I don't know how all you over cleaners ever expect to hit operator status.

Do you field strip and clean after every tango you take down? You'll never even get to the main boss if you're cleaning after popping every henchman. Geez.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't know how all you over cleaners ever expect to hit operator status.

Do you field strip and clean after every tango you take down? You'll never even get to the main boss if you're cleaning after popping every henchman. Geez.
    Just wipe any blood spatter and keep operating or larping, whatever the cool kids call it.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Somewhat on the same topic, I have some that due to ammo hoarding haven't left the same in some time. Do y'all lube safe queens once a year or just when you get them out to shoot?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Somewhat on the same topic, I have some that due to ammo hoarding haven't left the same in some time. Do y'all lube safe queens once a year or just when you get them out to shoot?
    I haven't seen the need to re-lube the ones in my safe that I don't touch. The oil won't dry out and my humidity is low due to having some extra heat in the safe.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    IMO modern gun care products are not cosmoline. I like to give every gun I have a cleaning and renewed lubrication and protection once per year if it hasn't been used

Top Bottom