• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Mrs. Bigtanker was having a health issue this morning and she got her first ride in an ambulance waaa2 (She's fine now btw).

I was in the lobby talking on the phone and the security guard noticed my Leatherman and my Kershaw clipped to my pants. He asked me to return them to my vehicle as they are against the weapons policy.

I wanted to lift up my sweater and ask if I this (my edc) is ok or not. But I bit my lip and returned the knives to my vehicle. My pistol stayed with me.

I know this hospital is not a prohobited place so I'm good!

Your story of the overzealous security guard reminds me of the time I went to a concert and had a security guard pat me down. He made sure to confiscate the sharpie that I was carrying in my pocket, but he totally missed the gun I had on my hip lol

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    20221019_105823.jpg
    So I'm guessing this carries the weight of the law? I just noticed this recently. It use to only say weapons are prohibited now it has IC code printed on the sign.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    View attachment 231284
    So I'm guessing this carries the weight of the law? I just noticed this recently. It use to only say weapons are prohibited now it has IC code printed on the sign.
    They can ask you to leave and if you don't, it's trespassing. That is basically the enforcement mechanism for the (I believe incorrect) IC cited.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    (d) This section may not be construed:

(1) to prohibit a person who owns, leases, rents, or otherwise legally controls private property from regulating or prohibiting the possession of firearms on the private property;

Just posting the IC they are using. Not making any comment...

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Wow! Over a leatherman even? I mean even a folder in the pocket is nuts. It would be different if you had some huge fixed blade knife strapped to you. With that said, I see where you are coming from hoosierdoc 100% but if you have a folder in the pocket or a leatherman on your belt I feel like it's taking it to the far end of it to be asked to remove it. However my wife works in the hospital and I know for a fact how many crazy people and drug addicts doing crazy things come through on a daily basis as well. I feel like there is a difference between tool and weapon when it comes to a knife such as a leatherman. However it is what it is, concealed is concealed I guess just like you said BT.
    When I worked at IU West, that was the policy. NO weapons, and yes, a knife is a weapon, who can even argue that? SMH. Our officers are bona-fide police officers, they`ve gone through the police academy, many, (most), have worked the road either as IMPD, Sheriffs deputy's, Constables, etc. Unless, or until you`ve dealt with the genius's that stomp through the hospital doors, you cannot pass judgement on the hospital`s decision to ban weapons. It is private property, contrary to what some mistakenly believe, and some of the idiots that come through those doors are rude, nasty, mean, aggressive moron`s who seemingly think the rules of society don`t apply to them. A private property owner has the right to ban weapons, period. I`m as avid a Second Amendment supporter as anyone, but the hospital DOES have armed officers ready, willing and able to protect you if that need arises, and that is one place where the weapons' ban is practical and makes sense. I'm speaking as someone who was a Covid-19 screener, and was assaulted and physically threatened many, many times. We saw the very worst of human behavior, the lowest intellect people you could imagine, and they were aggressive, entitled and quite frankly, speaking as an old guy who is 6"4' and 260 lbs, they were scary. The officers there aren`t looking for problems, and they greatly appreciate your cooperation, because they just want to go home to their families at the end of their 13 hour shifts.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    (d) This section may not be construed:

(1) to prohibit a person who owns, leases, rents, or otherwise legally controls private property from regulating or prohibiting the possession of firearms on the private property;

Just posting the IC they are using. Not making any comment...
    I think that may be the old IC before constitutional carry. Current code for (d) is different. That is the current IC for (c)(1).
    (d) Nothing in this chapter may be construed to affect the status or validity of a five (5) year or lifetime license to carry a handgun issued by the superintendent before July 1, 2022. Any license described under this subsection shall remain valid for the duration of the license or the lifetime of the licensee, as applicable.
    (c) This chapter may not be construed:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    When I worked at IU West, that was the policy. NO weapons, and yes, a knife is a weapon, who can even argue that? SMH. Our officers are bona-fide police officers, they`ve gone through the police academy, many, (most), have worked the road either as IMPD, Sheriffs deputy's, Constables, etc. Unless, or until you`ve dealt with the genius's that stomp through the hospital doors, you cannot pass judgement on the hospital`s decision to ban weapons. It is private property, contrary to what some mistakenly believe, and some of the idiots that come through those doors are rude, nasty, mean, aggressive moron`s who seemingly think the rules of society don`t apply to them. A private property owner has the right to ban weapons, period. I`m as avid a Second Amendment supporter as anyone, but the hospital DOES have armed officers ready, willing and able to protect you if that need arises, and that is one place where the weapons' ban is practical and makes sense. I'm speaking as someone who was a Covid-19 screener, and was assaulted and physically threatened many, many times. We saw the very worst of human behavior, the lowest intellect people you could imagine, and they were aggressive, entitled and quite frankly, speaking as an old guy who is 6"4' and 260 lbs, they were scary. The officers there aren`t looking for problems, and they greatly appreciate your cooperation, because they just want to go home to their families at the end of their 13 hour shifts.
    Are they guaranteeing our safety from the animals you describe? So it ends up being the law of the jungle? The animals you describe are going to follow the law/request?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I view it as like shopping at the Greenwood Park Mall. I understand why they make the anti-weapon rules that they do. I'm happy to conceal and still protect me and mine. I'm pretty good at it, (as any others who choose this route should be.)

I appreciate a business that has CYA lawyer rules to separate the wheat from the chaff on people who understand they are responsible for their own self-defense vs sloppy, dangerous sorts. Accidents waiting to happen.

I think we get into trouble when we have businesses that are overzealous about their security to the point of intense searching of individuals.

I'm quite content to just not go to businesses who overdo their security. The problem arises when the business is a facility that I might not have any choice but to go to. A medical facility that is housing my loved ones? Well...

...now we are back to whose responsibility it is for the defense of me and mine...

:scratch:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I view it as like shopping at the Greenwood Park Mall. I understand why they make the anti-weapon rules that they do. I'm happy to conceal and still protect me and mine. I'm pretty good at it, (as any others who choose this route should be.)

I appreciate a business that has CYA lawyer rules to separate the wheat from the chaff on people who understand they are responsible for their own self-defense vs sloppy, dangerous sorts. Accidents waiting to happen.

I think we get into trouble when we have businesses that are overzealous about their security to the point of intense searching of individuals.

I'm quite content to just not go to businesses who overdo their security. The problem arises when the business is a facility that I might not have any choice but to go to. A medical facility that is housing my loved ones? Well...

...now we are back to whose responsibility it is for the defense of me and mine...

Bingo!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    So they would be liable for security failures? Liable for ensuring all who enter are abiding, not just the honest folks?
    Yet again, they are private property. You don`t have to like it, and, you don`t have to go there. But they have the absolute right to determine what goes on in their "house", just like you do.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yet again, they are private property. You don`t have to like it, and, you don`t have to go there. But they have the absolute right to determine what goes on in their "house", just like you do.
    Well they should NOT. They are a public accommodation receiving government money, just like the apartments that the court said had to allow second amendment rights. And yes, I do have to go there to get medical treatment that TPTB keep saying is a “right”. So they are not anything like my “house”.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Are hospitals totally private property? Are they totally separate from ANY tax dollars we pay to the state or feds? Do ambulances, paid for at least partially with tax dollars of some sort transport patients to these facilities?

Do these "private" healthcare facilitates get any kind of public revenue? Medicare? Medicaid? Obamacare? State healthcare aid?

"Private property" is understood, but are hospitals the exact same as ANY other private property?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Are hospitals totally private property? Are they totally separate from ANY tax dollars we pay to the state or feds? Do ambulances, paid for at least partially with tax dollars of some sort transport patients to these facilities?

Do these "private" healthcare facilitates get any kind of public revenue? Medicare? Medicaid? Obamacare? State healthcare aid?

"Private property" is understood, but are hospitals the exact same as ANY other private property?

Why would revenue from a public source affect whether it is a private entity or not? The government paying for services no more makes them an owner than your paying for services makes you one.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Why would revenue from a public source affect whether it is a private entity or not? The government paying for services no more makes them an owner than your paying for services makes you one.
    It seems the government tells them what to do all the time, why not this time? Does the government own the apartments that were just ruled to allow guns? Nope, they are a public accommodation, not a store or retailer.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

This is where it gets murky I think.
    "HHC — which runs the Marion County Public Health Department, Eskenazi Hospital, and 78 nursing homes"

So is Eskenazi public or private?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It seems the government tells them what to do all the time, why not this time? Does the government own the apartments that were just ruled to allow guns? Nope, they are a public accommodation, not a store or retailer.
    They were telling people they could not have guns in their own residences. Not the same at all.

I don't like the hospitals doing it anymore than anyone else, but I am not ready to let the .gov make them do things the way I want them done.

Top Bottom