www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Gotcha!

In other words, concealed means concealed, right?
    Unless they have a secure prisoner cell/room/wing that is locked down, then it’s part of the jail so the whole building is off limits. So no. An actual no-go.

But many officers will tell you just to take it to your car and you will only have trouble if you cause a scene.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Why would they suspect me, if I am carrying concealed, (and know what I'm doing?)

Do they suspect everyone?
    Because they see it a lot, hospital rooms are small and not much room to move around. Many of them carry when not at work and know what to look for. Lots of sketchy types visit our patients, bring the, drugs, etc. and there have been incidents and most have low threshold to call security.

If you ever spent 12 hours working in a hospital, wearing scrubs and PPE, and saw the number of low lifes that think they own the place you would be extra careful to see who may be armed.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Because they see it a lot, hospital rooms are small and not much room to move around. Many of them carry when not at work and know what to look for. Lots of sketchy types visit our patients, bring the, drugs, etc. and there have been incidents and most have low threshold to call security.

If you ever spent 12 hours working in a hospital, wearing scrubs and PPE, and saw the number of low lifes that think they own the place you would be extra careful to see who may be armed.
    More so now than before. people are angry and right on the edge. They explode over anything, and our officers are a lot more wary and attentive, as are most staff.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

More so now than before. people are angry and right on the edge. They explode over anything, and our officers are a lot more wary and attentive, as are most staff.

Is this hospital different than other hospitals somehow? Is it part of one of the big hospital networks? IU Health?

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    With all due respect, I don’t know you and I apologize if I am wrong, but this is the tone I get from your posts in this thread. One of the problems I see with some gun owners in the eyes of many in the public is when some insist that their right to be armed extends everywhere even when politely asked not to enter certain places armed. It ends up undermining all who carry responsibly. There is more to doing the right thing than following the letter of the law and anyone has the right to ask and if necessary demand you do not enter their workplace armed. When you work 60+ hours a week in a place that places extraordinary stress on both staff and visitors you do not want persons who are under stress and unknown to you carrying.

Responsible gun owners do one of two things when asked not to carry somewhere. Don’t carry or don’t go in.

I am done with this thread.

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    With all due respect, I don’t know you and I apologize if I am wrong, but this is the tone I get from your posts in this thread. One of the problems I see with some gun owners in the eyes of many in the public is when some insist that their right to be armed extends everywhere even when politely asked not to enter certain places armed. It ends up undermining all who carry responsibly. There is more to doing the right thing than following the letter of the law and anyone has the right to ask and if necessary demand you do not enter their workplace armed. When you work 60+ hours a week in a place that places extraordinary stress on both staff and visitors you do not want persons who are under stress and unknown to you carrying.

Responsible gun owners do one of two things when asked not to carry somewhere. Don’t carry or don’t go in.

No need to be done with this thread, it appears to be civil to me. As mentioned above, "no gun signs" do not have the force of law in Indiana.

As with many other states, if you're asked to leave (for any reason) you must vacate the premises. If you don't, you can be trespassed.

A criminal or other person wishing to do ill will, won't pay any attention to that no gun sign...
    441cf589c4ec678827b2eaaf14b1c46c.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I apologize, if I have upset you, my friend

I certainly have been trying to get at information here. Deciding whether we are talking actual instances of officers or hospital staff seeking out folks who are self defense conscious or just speculating?

Obviously this subject hits home with you. I am sorry that you must have had bad experiences with sloppy inexperienced folks carrying guns in and around your workplace.

I can assure you that a whole lot folks that you may see carrying, (more likely will not,) who do know what they are doing and have spent plenty of time and money learning that craft. There are plenty of people, true responsible gun owners, who fully understand that it is their responsibility alone to protect themselves and those around them. It matters not where they are.

We all know, as do the criminals, that "gun free zones" are a harbinger of threats.

Last edited:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Going way back to the original post on this thread, I find it kind of funny, as I often work Maintinence in a large hospital and carry a pocketknife, small belt knife and a leather man and light carrier every day. We deal with security (now a police force, for the most part) pretty regularly and none of it has ever been mentioned. The. Again, I’m usually pushing around a cart that has screwdrivers, a hammer, drywall saw, cordless sawzall and all kinds of other possible weapons on it!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We have had this discussion several times here on the INGO. As I recall, we had at least one lawyer opine that it is quite possible that with sufficient wording and prominence of said signage, you might be able to be arrested for trespassing without any verbal warning for carrying a gun in spite of the sign. I think they said, it has not been tested in Indiana to their knowledge.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I wonder if it's time for a lawsuit? Since they all think healthcare is a right, they're depriving you a right one way or another....

Frankly, lawful carriers of firearms should be covered under non-discrimination laws.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    We have had this discussion several times here on the INGO. As I recall, we had at least one lawyer opine that it is quite possible that with sufficient wording and prominence of said signage, you might be able to be arrested for trespassing without any verbal warning for carrying a gun in spite of the sign. I think they said, it has not been tested in Indiana to their knowledge.
    So when I electronically sign all those documents I am unable to read on the small screen as I check in for a blood test does that count as my warning?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Unless the hospital has a section for people involved in crime (like a "prisoner ward" for lack of a better term...

Would the same apply to a licensed day care in the hospital building?

Is the whole building tainted by the prisoner ward or day care?

I bet some of the babysitters at the day care sometimes feel like a prison guard based on the behavior of some kids.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Unless there's been a change, the current state is the law seems to allow for signage to be the notice but prosecutors don't like it. How do you prove to a jury of your peers beyond a reasonable doubt you noticed the sign, read it, and comprehended it? We're routinely told on INGO that nobody notices when you carry a weapon on your hip, after all, so why would people notice a sign and read it.

I, personally, would not arrest on a sign only warning. If there was video of you stopping, staring at it, your lips moving as your finger drags along the words, then I'd make the report and let the prosector decide.

Note the above is in reference to an area the public can freely enter. If you're hopping fences, crawling through an opening of a chained gate, etc. that's a different matter.

Top Bottom