• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Charles Daly makes a tac shotgun for right around 350 bucks.

I bought the combo for $279, and got a deer/slug barrel with sights and field barrel. Now I can just order the 18.5" smoothbore for HD use for $80. So, for $70 more than a persuader, I got 3 barrels, 3 chokes and a tapped receiver Mossberg 500, instead of a 'persuader' for 300.

It just made sense.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm hoping to order a 18.5" barrel for the 500 combo I just bought today. I'll be patterning very soon. Do you use low recoil Fed stuff at all?

The only reduced recoil ammo I use are Remington "Managed Recoil" slugs.

All of my 00 buckshot is the plain jane Winchester XX.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The only reduced recoil ammo I use are Remington "Managed Recoil" slugs.

All of my 00 buckshot is the plain jane Winchester XX.

I use (and love) the Federal LE132-00 buckshot. It is low-recoil, 00 buck with the Flitecontrol wad. It's quite the performer...

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I use (and love) the Federal LE132-00 buckshot. It is low-recoil, 00 buck with the Flite control wad. It's quite the performer...

The Federal Flight control is very hard to beat and considered the current champion.
    I have run Hornady Tap in most flavors as well as the Federal LE and Remington LE and managed recoil loads, Most any of these loads will suite most anyone's needs.
    As Rhino stated pattern your shotty with a couple of three different loads to find what works best for you.
    The Recommendation to take Awerbuck's class is as good of one as I have heard, Get a good solid shotgun and get some instruction, and get out to the range now and then.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Can we get some clarification on this? I'm not sure this is accurate...

I bought one about a year ago out at Bradis. When they called in the background check they said it was a handgun. I was also informed by the lady working the counter that handgun rules apply to any shotgun with a pistol grip.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I would say that a light on the gun is more important than extra ammo. Most pumps out there will hold 4 in the tube.

If 4 rounds of 12 ga 00 buck won't solve your problem, chances are not much else will either.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I would say that a light on the gun is more important than extra ammo. Most pumps out there will hold 4 in the tube.

If 4 rounds of 12 ga 00 buck won't solve your problem, chances are not much else will either.

Your exactly right there, a light is very important on a HD gun. If I remember correctly the statistic was 1-3 shots from a shotgun and the vast majority of confrontations were concluded.
    Would go with the Remington HD though and get the 6/7 shot tube its not much more than the standard and worth the extra bit, especially if you decide to do a class or competition in the future.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Don't get me wrong, my HD and comp 870 has a +2 extended tube and the obligatory sidesaddle, along with a light.

Slings on a HD shotgun are a really bad idea, IMO.

Also, one of the best things you can do for "handiness" is cut an inch or so off the buttstock or buy a youth stock. That can make all the difference in how the gun handles, at least in my case.

BigD

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indy Geist Area
    I've heard some people alternate loads in HD shotguns. First you wing them with the buck and then you put them down for good with a solid slug.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    That alternating ammo thing works great if you know every detail of your gunfight in advance. If I did that, I'd get birdshot when he was behind a car, and slugs when stood in front of a school bus.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    If one ever sees anything living shot with 00 buck, one will understand that "winging" is not an issue.
    8-9 .32 caliber balls all hitting at once at 1300 fps is a game-over kinda hit.

Of course, never say never.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    HK45, I have not heard of that AOW until now. I already have a problem with their marketing though:
    With a 6.5 " barrel this little puppy will throw a pattern a 10 yards. that ensures you will not miss what you aimed at.
    I have been behind the wheel of BigCraig's Serbu shooting at a standard IPSC target at about that range. With some 00buck loads, I was getting 0 or 1 pellet on target... YMMV...

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Patterning is important for sure. I've patterned my SG and it will hold all the 00 buck on the head of an IPSC target at 12 yrds.

Perfect.

HK45Mark23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Newburgh
    HK45, I have not heard of that AOW until now. I already have a problem with their marketing though:

I have been behind the wheel of BigCraig's Serbu shooting at a standard IPSC target at about that range. With some 00buck loads, I was getting 0 or 1 pellet on target... YMMV...

The truth is at 7 yards a 2 3/4" or 3" 00 buck spreads to about 5" group. It doesn’t get much bigger than 8" even at 3 times that distance.

I tested my PWC and this is what I found.

I don’t think he means that the pattern opens up like a cone.

I had read the same thing when I first purchased my PWC so I called him and asked him what the pattern was like; he said it would never throw a pattern larger than a dinner plate. I have found this to be true.

All three of them shoot exactly the same.

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    Buy a Taurus Judge. Who wants to fool with a long gun in the middle of the night. If you need a shotgun get a Serbu. If not try the Judge it shoots 410's or 45 long colts. In a house these are Ideal!

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    now this is what you need for home defense:ar15::ar15:
    39611.jpg

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    at the top, the black mossberg 500 tactical with a 2 shot extender and an 18 inch barrel is my primary home defense gun, has a folding 6 postion m4 style stock, my back up 12 ga is the olive drab 870 with a 20 in barrel and 3 shot extender and if it comes to it, the ak47 is the last resort

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Remington 870 Tactical or Mossberg 500...either one is proven and will work just fine. I would stick with the buttstock version, unless you get an aftermarket ATI or some other adjustable buttstock with a pistol grip on it version. I, personally, would recommend staying away from just a 'pistol grip.' We keep those on our handguns, shotguns are made for firing from the shoulder...more accurate, better follow-up shot, and you won't accidently shoot yourself (leg, foot, etc.) b/c the business end of the barrel is hanging 6" from that body part.

Q: Is this for yourself or will your family (wife, kids) have access to it and be able to use it? My wife did not like the 870 12 ga that had...it was just too much kick for her. We looked around and found a Remington 870 Tactical in 20 ga. and I bought that for in the house. I added a Meprolight front night sight and a neoprene buttstock sleeve (holds 5 shells). Using #3 shot, we have a 7+1 (+5) 20 ga. HD shotgun that my wife is comfortable with and I have no doubts she'll use if the circumstances dictate it's usage. With the 12 ga, I doubted she would go to that first in and around the home.

Remember, if you ever need it, your adrenaline will be pumping 100+ mph and your 'rational thinking' will go on vacation for awhile. In those situations, you will do what you train for so train how to do it right the first time.

Top Bottom