• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigD

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indy Geist Area
    I'm looking for a shotgun for home defense. I saw a 18.5" barrel Mossberg with a pistol grip at the 1500 today, but the slide action wasn't terribly smooth. Any suggestions for a good burglar repellent?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You are in the right ballpark. Both the Mossberg 500/590 and Remington 870 18.5" pump shotguns are well regarded for home defense. The only thing that I would question is the pistol grip. Was it just a pistol grip or pistol grip with shoulder stock? The former can be hard to control and can be dangerous to the user. The latter is fine.

Last edited:

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    The Mossberg would be one of my first choices for home defense.
    (after a yappy dog or alarm system)
    Relative inexpensive and easy to operate.
    A concern that should be addressed would be choice of ammo,
    you don't want to worry about inflicting damage to the neighbors interior.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    My Mossberg 500 started its life as a basic Persuader/Cruiser with just a pistol grip and 20" barrel. A few modifications later, and I now have my nuclear option for home defense.

mytac500a.jpg

500tacpov2.jpg

In the immortal words of Mr. T, "I pity the fool"!

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    pistol grips are for pistols. stock up son.....

Somebody should tell the Marines. They could be in trouble!

M1014, Combat Shotgun
    File:Shotgun in training US military.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Google Image Result for http://www.okinawa.usmc.mil/Public%20Affairs%20Info/Images%20Complete/HighResImages/060825-asf2.jpg

I'll contact my son in Okinawa to let him know the major faux pas the Marines are making with those pistol gripped shotguns.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Shotguns need shoulder stocks, whether they have pistol grips or not.

Shotguns without stocks are useful for breaching hardened entrances and maybe concealment (like Serbus), but not much else in my opinion.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Someone like my avatar, good outside lighting, alarms if you wish, a fence, and a reliable shot gun your family can shoot, with a flash light available.

I currently employ a double barrel 12 guage coach gun and a 12 guage Remington 870 Express HD.

Break in the shot gun, before putting it in service. At least 50 to 100 shots, with different types of rounds. Break down the shot gun, clean, and inspect for any damage. If it looks good, you are ready to go.

Back in 1980, I lived in an old house cut up into apts. with my wife and infant daughter. A neighbor on a "fun" drug went primal and was practically beating everyone's door down.

When it was our turn, I took my $89.00 Walmart Standard Mossberg 500 shotgun at the time, leaned over to my side of the door, and racked a round into the Mossy.

The Zombie instantly stopped, took a moment to let what had just happened hit his dazed control center, and moved on. I had called the Landlord earlier. He was a good man and had arrived with LE backup shortly after my incident. Back then, it was an instant eviction for the Zombie.

I like standard stocks, but I set up a HD pistol grip shotgun for my father. He practiced at 3 to 7 yards, and was deadly with it. You really had to get a good grip on it, to control firing. It was for tight manuvering and extremely close range.

For his purpose, I could see merit in his case. But he was extra careful, because of a very short weapon to avoid shooting himself or family.

I like the full stock for control and safety for the whole family, who also may need to use it.

Research, shop hard, ask, and try family or friends shotguns (different brands) with different kinds of loads.

In the day, older Ithaca and Winchester pumps, and double barrel shot guns were also choices for HD defense.

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Somebody should tell the Marines. They could be in trouble!

M1014, Combat Shotgun
    File:Shotgun in training US military.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Google Image Result for http://www.okinawa.usmc.mil/Public%20Affairs%20Info/Images%20Complete/HighResImages/060825-asf2.jpg

I'll contact my son in Okinawa to let him know the major faux pas the Marines are making with those pistol gripped shotguns.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

Pump your brakes gglass. I believe he was referring to pistol gripped shotguns that did not have a shoulder stock at all. The image you linked to is a very good shotgun, but because it has a stock in addition to the PG :twocents:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Pump your brakes gglass. I believe he was referring to pistol gripped shotguns that did not have a shoulder stock at all. The image you linked to is a very good shotgun, but because it has a stock in addition to the PG :twocents:

Maybe we need some language to refer to shoulder stocks that include a pistol grip vs. pistol grips with no shoulder stock? This bit of confusion is not uncommon.

. . . "pistol grip stock" vs. "pistol grip"?

BigD

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indy Geist Area
    Thanks for the advice. It sounds like a Mossy or Remington with a pistol grip stock is the way to go.

Perhaps I'll keep a spare pair of glasses right on top of the shotgun under my bed since I'm blind as a bat without my contacts....

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Can we get some clarification on this? I'm not sure this is accurate...

Disregard... it is still a shotgun provided that the barrel is 18 inches in length, and the overall length is 26 inches or more. Maybe it's 28? No I'm pretty sure its 26. Anyway, a pistol grip ONLY shotgun is a poor choice. Been there done that.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Disregard... it is still a shotgun provided that the barrel is 18 inches in length, and the overall length is 26 inches or more. Maybe it's 28? No I'm pretty sure its 26. Anyway, a pistol grip ONLY shotgun is a poor choice. Been there done that.

Actually, you were right the first time. I'll see if I can find the thread where the case law was explained.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Can we get some clarification on this? I'm not sure this is accurate...

Actually, you were right the first time. I'll see if I can find the thread where the case law was explained.

I would be interested in this myself. I have heard that a pistol grip only shotgun is considered a handgun. Does not apply to me since I do not have any interest in owning a shotgun without some type of stock. But, would still like to be knowledgeable about the law.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    I agree with the 870. Between sons and Myself, I have bought a few over the years. Home defense was assigned to an assortment of handguns, but reading this thread makes me rethink my plans - especially after reading of Alan Roberts ZOMBIE. If I do change, what rounds to I use? I know all about not shooting unless I know what I'm aiming at, but how many walls do I have to be concerned about penetrating?

Top Bottom