• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I always recommend people start with a good solid platform. 870 in my opinion is the best choice in a pump, Especially if you want to go with a pistol grip stock. PGS gentlemen that what us in the Know call em when they have a buttstock attached to them. PG is the Gangsta grip,
    And BigCraig I am a tad upset with you about today.
    A mossberg with a pistol grip[ in my opinion is a detriment. Now if you like a SPG stock then the Mossberg is almost as good as a Remy, ( sure to start a fight there ) The safety location on the Mossberg is a huge detriment to a PGS. You have to disengage your shooting hand to disengage the safety on the mossy in this situation.
    The Remington has a safety that allows rapid disengagement with your hand still solidly planted on your shotgun. regardless. There are also enhanced safeties that make this even easier and more rapid.
    Dont cheat yourself on the shotgun, dont buy the cheapest one you can and call it good, Take the time to fondle a few, talk to some people here and in the local shops. if you have some pals that may have a shottie or two get out and try them.

There have been a myriad of threads on this topic and there has been a bunch of great information passed on.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I agree with the 870. Between sons and Myself, I have bought a few over the years. Home defense was assigned to an assortment of handguns, but reading this thread makes me rethink my plans - especially after reading of Alan Roberts ZOMBIE. If I do change, what rounds to I use? I know all about not shooting unless I know what I'm aiming at, but how many walls do I have to be concerned about penetrating?

Opinions will vary drastically on this and the debate can be rather heated as well, I am of the opinion keep it simple and use a load that will stop the bad guy and not disfigure them.

excerpt from a previous thread covering the penetration issue,
    Here is my position on over penetration. First If I pull the trigger on some miscreant I am going to make dang sure of my backstop, also I am going to make dang sure I do my absolute best not to miss him, I go for a center mass hit, Once this guys hit in the oven his fire should go out if you use the proper load. 000 I can live with as I mentioned. 0000 is iffy and #5 is absolutely out of the question in my opinion.

If you do your job his body is going to absorb the majority of the energy from the 00 so if you do get a pellet or 5 pass through they should have lost most of their ability to do terminal damage especially if they encounter more building materials. it all drains away their lethality. Now If you made sure of your back drop then at this time you have greatly reduced your chances of hurting an innocent, ( The fish tank doesn't count )

Now if you cannot clear the back stop and you absolutely have to take the shot drop your muzzle and hit them right in the pelvis. This will drop them instantly, there may be a little thrashing and squealing but it should pass quickly, Bone and their butt should absorb the vast majority of energy from the buckshot plus your getting a deeper . It is a fight stopping hit and it greatly reduces their chances of showing up to harass you in court later. Its not the best option but it may be your only one if lives hinge on that particular moment.

If you worry too much about penetration you wont get enough on the BG when it counts.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Opinions will vary drastically on this and the debate can be rather heated as well, I am of the opinion keep it simple and use a load that will stop the bad guy and not disfigure them.

excerpt from a previous thread covering the penetration issue,
    Here is my position on over penetration. First If I pull the trigger on some miscreant I am going to make dang sure of my backstop, also I am going to make dang sure I do my absolute best not to miss him, I go for a center mass hit, Once this guys hit in the oven his fire should go out if you use the proper load. 000 I can live with as I mentioned. 0000 is iffy and #5 is absolutely out of the question in my opinion.

If you do your job his body is going to absorb the majority of the energy from the 00 so if you do get a pellet or 5 pass through they should have lost most of their ability to do terminal damage especially if they encounter more building materials. it all drains away their lethality. Now If you made sure of your back drop then at this time you have greatly reduced your chances of hurting an innocent, ( The fish tank doesn't count )

Now if you cannot clear the back stop and you absolutely have to take the shot drop your muzzle and hit them right in the pelvis. This will drop them instantly, there may be a little thrashing and squealing but it should pass quickly, Bone and their butt should absorb the vast majority of energy from the buckshot plus your getting a deeper . It is a fight stopping hit and it greatly reduces their chances of showing up to harass you in court later. Its not the best option but it may be your only one if lives hinge on that particular moment.

If you worry too much about penetration you wont get enough on the BG when it counts.

My issue in choice is this: my home is one long ranch style. Both my children are in bedrooms at the opposite end of my house. We have a sliding door to a porch on one side and the front door on the other side ( you could walk right through, front to back yard) that are in between my children and us.
    My fear is a break in, sliding glass door or front door would separate my children from me and I would be forced to engage a target in a very narrow window---basically straight down the hallway or at closer range in the pelvis like you mention---the choice of shot for me is a serious one.

My daughters room, there are two 2x4 walled (insulated, drywalled of course) interior walls separating my room from hers. The boys room, on his side of the house, there is a full bathroom separating my room from his; two interior walls as well.

That's not a whole lot of board and lumber. I've had an AR as a primary means of defense; but, it is simply not an option for a lot of reasons. So, I'm buying a basic Mossberg 500 (persuader?) for $289 tomorrow and gonna start looking at loads that will give me a more viable option than 62gr. at 2700 fps.

To rearrange the room orientation or use is just not a option; so, I'm gonna work with what I have to.
    Any thoughts on shot? I've been thinking low recoil Federal stuff with the smaller shot.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    My Mossberg 500 started its life as a basic Persuader/Cruiser with just a pistol grip and 20" barrel. A few modifications later, and I now have my nuclear option for home defense.

mytac500a.jpg

500tacpov2.jpg

In the immortal words of Mr. T, "I pity the fool"!

All that but no light:dunno: Regardless, that is a sweet setup...very nice!!:rockwoot:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I would be interested in this myself. I have heard that a pistol grip only shotgun is considered a handgun. Does not apply to me since I do not have any interest in owning a shotgun without some type of stock. But, would still like to be knowledgeable about the law.

I can't seem to find the thread where the case law was cited. Basically there was a case of a man charged with carrying a handgun without a license because an leo saw a pistol grip only shotgun in his car. It comes down to how the law defines a shotgun and a handgun. A shotgun has to be "shoulder fired." If someone could help me find the case law I would greatly appreciate it.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Whether you go with Mossberg or Remington, two add ons that I would recomend are a side saddle and a magazine extension. My personal preference is to Remington 870's with a Choate magazine extension.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    I second the range report for the Beretta. Nice looking shot gun.

I agree with having shells on the shotgun. It's not the best, but I have an elastic shell holder that slides on the stock.

I have used it for years, and can easily move it from shotgun to shotgun.

I probably need to look at a permanent solution eventually.

Keep up the good information and helpful ideas. Thanks.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I own two Mossy's one with just the pistol grip and one full stock both are the 8 shot version! and a S&W riot gun the 870 also makes a great home defense gun, the Mossy's free up with use.

beak7707

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Terre haute area
    I've been looking into home defense shotguns also. I'm not Mossy fan but you have to think about how much use it will get. I think I will go with a cheaper Mossberg JIC. I know it will work when I need it to and they are anywehere from 100 to 250 cheaper than the other home defense guns.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Whatever you get, take Louis Awerbuck's shotgun class. I think most people will find there is a lot to think about with a shotgun.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    I always recommend people start with a good solid platform. 870 in my opinion is the best choice in a pump, Especially if you want to go with a pistol grip stock. PGS gentlemen that what us in the Know call em when they have a buttstock attached to them. PG is the Gangsta grip,
    And BigCraig I am a tad upset with you about today.
    A mossberg with a pistol grip[ in my opinion is a detriment. Now if you like a SPG stock then the Mossberg is almost as good as a Remy, ( sure to start a fight there ) The safety location on the Mossberg is a huge detriment to a PGS. You have to disengage your shooting hand to disengage the safety on the mossy in this situation.
    The Remington has a safety that allows rapid disengagement with your hand still solidly planted on your shotgun. regardless. There are also enhanced safeties that make this even easier and more rapid.
    Dont cheat yourself on the shotgun, dont buy the cheapest one you can and call it good, Take the time to fondle a few, talk to some people here and in the local shops. if you have some pals that may have a shottie or two get out and try them.

There have been a myriad of threads on this topic and there has been a bunch of great information passed on.

+1 PGS on a Mossberg is a no go in my book.

I have a 7 year old Mossberg Persuader Cruiser model 7+1 20" that I bought using my employee discount at the shop. I added a regualr stock, sidesaddle and Surefire forend light. I have the ghost ring sights for it but havent had them installed yet. It has seen alot of use and shows it. I bought a NIB Benelli Super Nova Tactical last summer and added a Nordic extension making it 7+1 now. It has the PGS stock and rifle sights. I love shooting it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Now is when I chime-in to remind everyone that they need to pattern their shotgun with the choke they will have installed with their specific ammunition at various distances at which they may need to fire it. If you're concerned about what is around and behind your target/threat, you need to do this. It will also be helpful in getting as much of the load onto target as possible.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Now is when I chime-in to remind everyone that they need to pattern their shotgun with the choke they will have installed with their specific ammunition at various distances at which they may need to fire it. If you're concerned about what is around and behind your target/threat, you need to do this. It will also be helpful in getting as much of the load onto target as possible.

I'm hoping to order a 18.5" barrel for the 500 combo I just bought today. I'll be patterning very soon. Do you use low recoil Fed stuff at all?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    double barrel 12g coach next to night stand with buck & ball in each barrel(will fire both @ the same time) and a 1911 in the night stand with 230gr TAPS......if you get caught in here it's goin' to be messy...

Top Bottom