• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    For the most part people don't seem to worry about gun fit with a home defense shotgun. But most felt recoil can be mitigated with an aftermarket recoil pad. The lower end on the price range you go generally the worse the recoil pad is from the factory. Many are nothing more than a block of hard rubber. Get a Kick Eez or Microcell etc pad and it makes a huge difference. Even better but not cheap would be fine a Falcon Strike recoil pad. Those are incredible at reducing felt recoil.
    Also pick & choose rounds that maybe a little softer shooting.
    As for a gun recommendation, Rem 870, Moss 500 or 590, Maverick 88 are solid options that are relatively inexpensive. Keep it simple

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For the most part people don't seem to worry about gun fit with a home defense shotgun. But most felt recoil can be mitigated with an aftermarket recoil pad. The lower end on the price range you go generally the worse the recoil pad is from the factory. Many are nothing more than a block of hard rubber. Get a Kick Eez or Microcell etc pad and it makes a huge difference. Even better but not cheap would be fine a Falcon Strike recoil pad. Those are incredible at reducing felt recoil.
    Also pick & choose rounds that maybe a little softer shooting.
    As for a gun recommendation, Rem 870, Moss 500 or 590, Maverick 88 are solid options that are relatively inexpensive. Keep it simple
    I found Limb Savers are awesome. A lady might need to cut the stock down an extra 2" but felt recoil is greatly reduced.

On a related note, anyone ever seen Edwards Recoil Reducers in store or online?

I looked VERY pre pandemic and you could buy them direct. I went to finally buy and their rudamentary online store is gone. It was replaced by a link of gun stores; like Brownells, BPS, Cabelas, etc. NONE of which actually sell the product. :scratch:

I wonder if they are even in business anymore and subscriptions just havent expired yet, taking the website down?

el_barto3

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2023
    New Albany
    The next thing I am on the lookout for to add to my collection is a shotgun for home defense. Probably leaning towards a pump action with a pistol grip 20 gauge. Maybe a 12. And it would have to be on the inexpensive side. Really inexpensive. I am not experienced with shotguns but have been doing some research. Also, I’m not a big person so would need to be manageable.

I can’t believe I just missed the giveaway!!

Any suggestions for a good quality inexpensive shotgun?? Thanks
    Now listen, there are a lot of people out in the world that are going to try to tell you a lot of different things about muzzle velocity, barrel length and it's effects on how you interact in a CQB environment, and how their specific type of shotgun caliber is better than the others

None of this information is important

As we all know barrel length and muzzle velocity are basically negligent as the one time you should be shooting it it will be between 3-7 yards so it basically comes down to what you're trying to account for in your shotgun

But no matter what you pick its probably gonna spend its life propped up in a corner so I suggest putting at least one sticker on it

Attachments

• 17023509302646217828160169904337.jpg
      17023509302646217828160169904337.jpg
      188.4 KB · Views: 18

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I found Limb Savers are awesome. A lady might need to cut the stock down an extra 2" but felt recoil is greatly reduced.
    Yes, Limb Savers are known to be excellent quality too. Also yes, a lady may need to have a shorter stock for a comfortable fit. However, if the stock is synthetic often about the only thing that can be done is replace it with a reduced length or youth model stock.

The Falcon Strike I mentioned is a hydraulic recoil reducer made into the pad. First time I used one I was absolutely amazed how much difference it made compared to any other gun I've shot with just a pad.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

On a related note, anyone ever seen Edwards Recoil Reducers in store or online?

I looked VERY pre pandemic and you could buy them direct. I went to finally buy and their rudamentary online store is gone. It was replaced by a link of gun stores; like Brownells, BPS, Cabelas, etc. NONE of which actually sell the product. :scratch:

I wonder if they are even in business anymore and subscriptions just havent expired yet, taking the website down?
    With adrenaline pumping do you think felt recoil will be a factor?

Reactions: Mij

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    With adrenaline pumping do you think felt recoil will be a factor?
    While you're not quoting me, I would say it depends. If you're asking about a situation where a life is dependent on the action of shooting, probably not. Well maybe after the adrenaline dump.
    However, while training/ practicing with the shotgun I almost guarantee it is a factor. Especially if the person shooting is using loads such as 00 buck or slugs. Even more so if they are using 3" magnum loads.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    While you're not quoting me, I would say it depends. If you're asking about a situation where a life is dependent on the action of shooting, probably not. Well maybe after the adrenaline dump.
    However, while training/ practicing with the shotgun I almost guarantee it is a factor. Especially if the person shooting is using loads such as 00 buck or slugs. Even more so if they are using 3" magnum loads.
    That's what I was meaning. In a self defense situation.
    When one picks up a shotgun for home defense you probably aren't going to even think is my limbsaver on?
    Totally agree with training/practice.

I also agree with Dean about having a RDS or Holographic sight on the shotgun especially in low light, and dark situations.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That's what I was meaning. In a self defense situation.
    When one picks up a shotgun for home defense you probably aren't going to even think is my limbsaver on?
    Totally agree with training/practice.

I also agree with Dean about having a RDS or Holographic sight on the shotgun especially in low light, and dark situations.
    Unless, the person is in a position where they heard the proverbial bump in the night and are hiding in their room waiting for police to respond. Then if training and practice has taught them it hurts to shoot, it could cause a person to be reluctant to shoot. In clays games people sometimes develop a flinch so bad they can't bring themselves to pull the trigger.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    About recoil, I would argue that if the person is actually getting training, as in instruction by a professional, that they would learn the techniques to mitigate recoil.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    About recoil, I would argue that if the person is actually getting training, as in instruction by a professional, that they would learn the techniques to mitigate recoil.

Well she's also shooting a semiauto so recoil is already being mitigated compared to a pump gun. Also, I'm sure that gun has been modified and may have some sort of recoil reduction system in it.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Well she's also shooting a semiauto so recoil is already being mitigated compared to a pump gun. Also, I'm sure that gun has been modified and may have some sort of recoil reduction system in it.

This is correct, my father in law has a 20 gauge O/U that weighs as much as my 12 gauge Beretta 1301 and my 1301 has significantly less recoil than the 20 gauge. Fun fact about the 1301 the stock can be fitted from factory , the factory stock is 13.25 inches and comes with a 1" and 1/4" spacers you can add. Takes about 5 minutes to do, now my 1301 has the same LOP as my 725 and fits very well.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    No don’t. Because that load is super hard to find, sells out right away and it’s what I keep in my home defense gun. We don’t need any more people buying that stuff.
    Yes it is. Took months to find some for my son. All he received was enough to pattern a new barrel, and to have a full load with a couple of spares for his home defense setup.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    umTNvB5.jpg

I am having good luck with Winchester Defender 9 Pellet 00 Buckshot at 1145FPS. This is the pattern out of my 1301 at 15 yards, way more than anything i expect in the house. Running an Improved Cylinder choke. I have an extended Modified choke on order , that should make it fist sized roughly.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    umTNvB5.jpg

I am having good luck with Winchester Defender 9 Pellet 00 Buckshot at 1145FPS. This is the pattern out of my 1301 at 15 yards, way more than anything i expect in the house. Running an Improved Cylinder choke. I have an extended Modified choke on order , that should make it fist sized roughly.
    That's a good pattern for 15yds.

This brings me to this question.
    What is the avg range of self defense/LEO shotgun shootings with buckshot? Are there any statistics on that?
    Are they basically the same distance as handgun shootings?

Top Bottom