• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • W3s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Has anyone mentioned the shorty's? Remington 870 tac-14, or Mossberg shockwave? I have a mag fed tac 14. If using a shotgun for home defense, I doubt you'll be aiming anyway, so these shorty's seem like good options for inside the home

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Has anyone mentioned the shorty's? Remington 870 tac-14, or Mossberg shockwave? I have a mag fed tac 14. If using a shotgun for home defense, I doubt you'll be aiming anyway, so these shorty's seem like good options for inside the home
    Have you actually practiced with Yours?

It’s a popular misconception that “you don’t have to aim“

They pattern a lot tighter at short ranges than you realize.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You absolutely have to aim a Shockwave style shotgun.

Some people say that such a gun is “useless” for home defense. I have a light/laser combo on mine and can put 5 rounds of 12 gauge 00 Buck in the A-zone from the hip pretty damn fast. “Useless” really doesn’t come to mind in this role.

SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    I much prefer handgun for at home. Far easier to manipulate and move with. Weapon Light is an easy add on and simply to use.

Try moving through a house (hallways opening doors etc) with a shotgun. Without a lot of practice it’s more challenging than most would think.

Pump guns are slow, heavier, bigger recoil, and harder to move with.

Just my 2cents

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Have you actually practiced with Yours?

It’s a popular misconception that “you don’t have to aim“

They pattern a lot tighter at short ranges than you realize.
    Unless you have a really short barrel....

1701867061209.png
    Seen a video of one like this and it had a 24" pattern at 9 feet with 00 buckshot.
    Hand held claymore.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Remington 887
    I wouldn't want to have to fire this in the house. It's extremely loud even with ear pro on outside.
    Would much prefer to use the CZ or 92FS
    rem_887.JPG

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    You absolutely have to aim a Shockwave style shotgun.

Some people say that such a gun is “useless” for home defense. I have a light/laser combo on mine and can put 5 rounds of 12 gauge 00 Buck in the A-zone from the hip pretty damn fast. “Useless” really doesn’t come to mind in this role.

A properly fitted shotgun should be "pointed" every clay shooter knows this. :abused: in all seriousness Red dots are the way to go on tactical shotguns now IMHO.

I much prefer handgun for at home. Far easier to manipulate and move with. Weapon Light is an easy add on and simply to use.

Try moving through a house (hallways opening doors etc) with a shotgun. Without a lot of practice it’s more challenging than most would think.

Pump guns are slow, heavier, bigger recoil, and harder to move with.

Just my 2cents

In a apartment 100% I agree, for a house the Shotgun is king aside from a suppressed subgun IMHO. But I designed my house to be very easily cleared by a 18.5" shotgun. Also in this day and age we use semi automatic shotguns, rate of fire is a non issue, and I hate to sound like a fudd but if you can't get it done with 8 rounds of OO Flight Control you have messed up somewhere in life.

gamshar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2023
    Sellersburg
    At an early age my dad bought me a rem 870 from bass pro’s Black Friday special with turkey barrel. As of now I have converted that with a 18.5 barrel, Magpul furniture, and a UTG bull dot laser. Been a fan of it for my bump-in-the-night shotgun and range training with a sling attached.

Last edited:

SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    A properly fitted shotgun should be "pointed" every clay shooter knows this. :abused: in all seriousness Red dots are the way to go on tactical shotguns now IMHO.

In an apartment 100% I agree, for a house the Shotgun is king aside from a suppressed subgun IMHO. But I designed my house to be very easily cleared by a 18.5" shotgun. Also in this day and age we use semi automatic shotguns, rate of fire is a non issue, and I hate to sound like a fudd but if you can't get it done with 8 rounds of OO Flight Control you have messed up somewhere in life.
    I do agree with the semi-auto shotgun point for rate of fire/knockdown power. But I’ve seen a lot of pump guns mentioned throughout the comments. I agree it can be a great option situationally in a dwelling with space to move.

Like anything practice and knowledge is king. Nobody WANTS to get shot by any gun .

That being said and owning both options I still would reach for a handgun over a shotgun in my home.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Hand gun, even JMB's masterpiece in God's caliber, is just to get me to a long gun. With few exceptions, no handgun round packs the power of a rifle or 00 12ga.

As for choice, I've never been a fan of pistol grip shotguns. Just my preference. I also prefer the M88/M500/M590 release button location over the 870. Part of that is just familiarity and the sheer number of rounds I've put through the mossberg family and just sheer preference. My old workhorse started life as a 28" full choke that was cut down to 19" and the bead put back on (slightly crooked I might admit). Paid $50 for it almost 30 years ago (ok, 26 years ago). at 10 yds it puts a hand sized pattern on paper. I even used it for clay shooting many moons ago. I caught a lot of flack over bringing a shorty to shoot clays.... until I was consistently knocking them down.

W3s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Ok it looks like I got a lot of flak for saying you wouldn't have to "aim"... what I was trying to say is "point and shoot" should suffice in a close range setting. Wielding a mag fed shorty when you hear an intruder, I personally wouldn't put the gun to my eye and look at the bead, like shooting pigeons. Point, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, etc. IMO it would be more maneuverable than a full size shotgun, and have a slightly larger grouping than a long barrel.

el_barto3

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2023
    New Albany
    Where to shoot? Can’t at the range near my house.

I do appreciate your feedback but this is not going to be my CC firearm. With that being said, of course I will practice with anything that I I have. I believe that’s very important.

Just asking opinions for a good quality inexpensive shotgun.
    He's just saying to feel it out, when you talking about shotguns they all feel a little different to shoot, most of the American ones are cheap and reliable but they kick a bit harder than a Turkish shotgun the same price that will be covered in plastic and have a flimsy foregrip and a stock wrapped in a pillow, a lot of them also don't like to feed

Top Bottom