• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    This strikes me as him still making demands to "allow" us to go back to some semblance of normalcy. Thoughts?

In a sign that Gov. Eric Holcomb hopes to move closer to a post pandemic era, the Republican leader issued a statement Tuesday outlining the laws the Indiana General Assembly must change for him to end the public health emergency in effect since March 2020.

The state of emergency, seen by some Republicans as a symbol of government overreach, could soon be over if the legislature complies with Holcomb's requests.

The legislature needs to make three "key" statutory changes to protect Indiana residents even if no public health emergency exists, the statement said. Those three changes include allowing for enhanced federal matching funds for Medicaid expenditures to continue; continuing enhanced benefits for Medicaid spending; and allowing for the vaccination of children ages 5 to 11.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    HEY I've got an idea! How about the legislature just employing the power of the people to neuter his ability to unilaterally make up this crap! "Okay Govenor, since you chose to abuse the power we gave you, and clearly can't be trusted with it, you no longer get to use it." It worked for my parents.

Honestly, I haven't been following this drama much, but it seems to me like:
    - Holcom's genuinely concerned that they will make him stop.
    - When they do, it will involve more constraints on the Governors powers into the future (and a smack upside the head for good measure).
    - He wants to avoid this, but doesn't want to look like a spineless #&*%!, or admit he got a beat down.
    - If he does need to back down, why not try to get something on the way? (...which just so happens to involve more Fed. involvement and a lot of money.)

This is a strategic withdraw from an untenable position (if the legislature has the nads to do there job).

It's like a 5 year old at bedtime. Mom: "It's way past time for bed, and I'm past asking nice. 1... 2..." Kid:"I want to go to bed mom, but I'm really, really, hungry because you didn't give me enough to eat. If you'd just let me have a little bowl of ice cream, I can go right to bed like you want."

Way past time for the treat. Eat the carrot, use the stick!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I fail to understand the reasoning used to think this whole bowl of crap has done anybody any good unless there is some back room deal involving his advances in the privat sector when his punk ass reaches the end of his run. Has to be Some massive amounts of money/position in it for this continued push.
    It just makes no sense.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Medicaid Expansion will just end up being an unfunded mandate from the Feds. Pence was right to refuse it in the first place. Holcomb is basically saying Indiana has to "sign on" to Obamacare, for him to remove emergency status.

Eff him. I didn't vote for him. I suggest you do the same. Some here suggested we had no other choice.

I have to remind you - "some here voted for this."

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This strikes me as him still making demands to "allow" us to go back to some semblance of normalcy. Thoughts?

In a sign that Gov. Eric Holcomb hopes to move closer to a post pandemic era, the Republican leader issued a statement Tuesday outlining the laws the Indiana General Assembly must change for him to end the public health emergency in effect since March 2020.

The state of emergency, seen by some Republicans as a symbol of government overreach, could soon be over if the legislature complies with Holcomb's requests.

The legislature needs to make three "key" statutory changes to protect Indiana residents even if no public health emergency exists, the statement said. Those three changes include allowing for enhanced federal matching funds for Medicaid expenditures to continue; continuing enhanced benefits for Medicaid spending; and allowing for the vaccination of children ages 5 to 11.
    Let's hope they just rein in the governors ability to continue an 'emergency' situation without limit and without consulting the legislature after a reasonable time (30 days or so). If you Hoosiers don't make that a top priority, IMO you'll get bent over again in the near future. End king Holcomb's reign

I agree with you, he seems to be attempting to extort support for pet legislation by holding up the end of the emergency. If those ideas (medicaid spending and child vaccination) have so much merit, why not make the case to the legislature and let them vote him the authority uncorked, if he can convince them

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    IF any of this was a legitimate EMERGENCY, then how can you simply 'make a deal' it away?
    IF the things he advocates are genuinely in our best interest, then why cant they just be evaluated on there own?

Sorry... I forgot the rules and started thinking again. I've got to stop doing that, or this'll never make sense.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Does Indiana have the ability to bypass the legislature via referendum?

Propose a referendum that is simple and straight forward

"In light of the fact that the Governor has abused his emergency authority and refused to defer to the legislature, it is resolved that the current governor be stripped of emergency authority immediately and future governors be limited to 28 days of emergency authority before they must put their actions before the legislature for approval, even if that requires convening the legislature in emergency session"

I would bet you could get enough signatures to get that on the ballot

Top Bottom