• ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    You can’t explain it adequately to those with an open mind, much less to those that know it all…
    And the polarization continues. Why must there be something wrong with someone who does not agree with you?

And now for the grammar lesson of the day. WHO is for people, THAT is for inanimate objects.
    Those WHO know it all. Bill is the man WHO is sitting in the red chair.
    Look at the photograph THAT is sitting on the table.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    And the polarization continues. Why must there be something wrong with someone who does not agree with you?

And now for the grammar lesson of the day. WHO is for people, THAT is for inanimate objects.
    Those WHO know it all. Bill is the man WHO is sitting in the red chair.
    Look at the photograph THAT is sitting on the table.
    If you didn't actually experience it, which you admit you did not, then you are espousing an opinion on something you have not experienced. It would be like me talking about how I was underwhelmed by skydiving because I rode in an airplane.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Without totality, then I can understand being underwhelmed. Totality was unlike anything I've ever experienced, nor will I experience it again in my lifetime.
    I'll agree it was a neat experience, but nothing like many are making it out to be. The hype for weeks before, and who knows for how long after it many will still be talking about their 4 minute experience of totality...

Life was normal a half hour before and normal a half hour after. No zombie apocalypse, no terrorist attack, no .gov monkey business (that's been discovered so far). The kids got a day of eLearning (20 minutes on their Chromebooks, then fishing) and we got to see some of nature in a confused state immediately afterwards. Definitely not a spiritual or God like event some are claiming it was... 20240408_150748.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'll agree it was a neat experience, but nothing like many are making it out to be. The hype for weeks before, and who knows for how long after it many will still be talking about their 4 minute experience of totality...

Life was normal a half hour before and normal a half hour after. No zombie apocalypse, no terrorist attack, no .gov monkey business (that's been discovered so far). The kids got a day of eLearning (20 minutes on their Chromebooks, then fishing) and we got to see some of nature in a confused state immediately afterwards. Definitely not a spiritual or God like event some are claiming it was... View attachment 345719
    I wasn't one claiming any of those things. I just thought it was really cool. :thumbsup: I did wonder what primitive humans must have thought when they saw their first one. That would be unsettling I would think.

BeDome

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    At this point many of us have survived so many fake apocalypses we quit the game.

Next thing you know we've been dealt in once again, owe an ante and we're holding up the game because the game is still on.

We just had family here for the (apoc -)eclipse and I enjoyed it immensely.
    I had seen a Total once, but this one was longer - hype or not.

I watched three crows argue about something during totality. Otherwise it was pretty quiet.

We noticed how much cooler it became suddenly once the sun was blocked.

My wife had to leave for work right after totality, but said it was the easiest commute she has ever seen.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A member here recently posted that they had similar thinking to you concerning the Hoover Dam, but after experiencing it they left HD with a better understanding and an appreciation for what they learned.

In 2017, IIRC, I watched a partial eclipse from a boat on Lake Michigan, even in such a cool setting it was meh. The eclipse yesterday, in areas that experienced totality, was pretty cool and I am glad to have experienced that in my lifetime.

I care as much about your opinion of the eclipse as I do a blind man’s thoughts on Van Gogh paintings, though it is your right to express it,

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I, for one, thought it was pretty cool.

The cutest thing was that right after totality started, my two-year-old daughter ran over to me and started asking me to turn the lights back on.

I really didn't expect such a significant temperature drop, either.

The giant burning thing in the sky has nothing to do with “global warming”!!!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I’ve seen 3 partial solar eclipses, including one that was very near total. I was definitely of the “who cares?” mentality leading up to this one.

When the totality hit, I actually said “oh wow… ok, I get it now”. It was truly a surreal experience. I took the day off simply to avoid traffic, but I’m very glad I got to experience this with Mrs. Chez.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

Life was normal a half hour before and normal a half hour after. No zombie apocalypse, no terrorist attack, no .gov monkey business (that's been discovered so far). The kids got a day of eLearning (20 minutes on their Chromebooks, then fishing) and we got to see some of nature in a confused state immediately afterwards. Definitely not a spiritual or God like event some are claiming it was... View attachment 345719
    Sort of like sex, huh? 4 minute experience. Life was normal a half hour before and a half hour after... :)

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I’ve seen 3 partial solar eclipses, including one that was very near total. I was definitely of the “who cares?” mentality leading up to this one.

When the totality hit, I actually said “oh wow… ok, I get it now”. It was truly a surreal experience. I took the day off simply to avoid traffic, but I’m very glad I got to experience this with Mrs. Chez.
    Agree with all of this except I had to be at work and deal with the traffic.

Was it worth literally weeks of publicity and a state of emergency? Nope. But to those that got to experience it, it’s pretty effin cool.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    To me, it's the thought behind what's actually going on, not the effect or duration.

Top fuel dragster run, over in 3.x seconds, no big deal to some. But the freaking pistons are going up AND down ~170 times A SECOND, from a dead stop at the bottom of the stroke to a dead stop at the top, and back down. Impressive, to me, and pretty awesome to feel, not just hear!

Bullet is only in the air roughly the same time for a 1 mile hit on target. Big deal to some, not to others. But it moves how many FEET before impact. Someone calculated wind, gravity, drag/friction, spin... all correctly, aimed accordingly and broke the trigger at the right instant to make it happen.

Total eclipse over in 3-4 minutes. But crazy to think to get that ring of fire the sun/moon has to be just the right size, distances just right, all moving thru time & space over eons and happen to all align just right. Impressive when considering how all these objects were formed at different times and by different circumstances.

Amazing things to ponder... by using a gelatinous mass, that grew from a fertilized egg and works thru chemical & electrical reactions fed by well... food, i.e. smoked pork butt (which we enjoyed yesterday) and pineapple pizza (which we did not).

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county

Agree with your statements also. Definitely an impressive event. Found myself wondering how primitive man felt to see one, particularly since without those eclipse glasses there’s no way to look at the Sun until the last split second before totality. Guess Grok would have noticed the shadow heading toward him and temps falling, but would he have noticed the Sun changing to a crescent shape beforehand?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'm confused. Maybe that, in itself, is part of the problem. What I have done here is express an opinion. It happens to not coincide with the majority opinion. The part I can't wrap my head around is why my opinion is somehow wrong, while the majority opinion is the one everyone SHOULD have. This smacks so much of American politics for the last 20 years or that it bothers me, more than a bit. A few folks have replied, "Whatever, not everyone likes everything." I don't mind if someone thinks the eclipse is the greatest thing since moving out of caves. Why is it not OK if I think the eclipse is the sensory equivalent of watching paint dry?

A member here has a signature line (paraphrasing): Liberals claim to invite a variety of opinions, then are completely aghast to discover there actually are different opinions. That is what I feel like here. And yes, I believe I was born this way: Able to form an opinion, while simultaneously realizing others are free to agree or disagree with said opinion. I can't stand olives. I really like the smell of skunk. I am afraid of water over my head. Peanut butter is one of the world's greatest foods. Feel free to agree, or not.
    I wasn’t aware that you didn’t see totality, which basically means that you didn’t see the eclipse. Anything less than seeing totality is not experiencing an eclipse.

Your opinion is not wrong. It’s irrelevant.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I, for one, thought it was pretty cool.

The cutest thing was that right after totality started, my two-year-old daughter ran over to me and started asking me to turn the lights back on.

I really didn't expect such a significant temperature drop, either.
    Same here on the temp change. I went from being too hot( I actually just checked on it occasionally early on) to slightly cool back to nicely warm.

I can see now that the person who said there is a difference between 99% blocked and totally. As soon as that last dot of sunlight was gone, you couldn't see anything through the glasses and it was fairly dark.

And coming back "on", it only took a sliver of sun to make it daylight again.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Without totality, then I can understand being underwhelmed. Totality was unlike anything I've ever experienced, nor will I experience it again in my lifetime.
    That's what I understand.

I was up here with 95.1% and through the glasses, it looked neat, but it only got slightly dim. You would not have noticed anything if you didn't know something was going on.

My wife and all my kids were in Greenfield at a park to see totality and they can't stop talking about it. My older son and his wife even came down from Grand Rapids to see it and said it was well worth it.

Top Bottom