• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I want to know what gives Hogsett the authority to command this over all of Marion County. He is the Mayor of Indianapolis, not a county commissioner. Everyone is giving him more power than the people did upon voting.

As a political unit Indianapolis is Marion County. Unigov passed back in the 70's that created one unit of government (with some exceptions) for Marion County. Mayor and City/County Council govern Marion County.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Saw a guy at work (outside Marion Co) wearing a mask over his mouth - yes just his mouth, not his nose. He wears it all day long. While he is working by himself. I just saw him walking with another guy (less than 6' apart) and he had his mask around his chin. When the 2 separated he put his mask back on. :ugh:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    (apologies if this is a dupe rant)

And this is a flat out chicken s*** way to govern. And I will say that loudly to his face if given the chance. (but we know that wont happen unless I storm his office and literally fight through security and forcefully break down his office door.) If you want to force us to do something, enforce it directly. Send out your IMPD officers and even the city code enforcement workers with their little ticket books and write us citations to our faces like a REAL leader with a spine. Dont foist this on the businesses and make them do your dirty work for you because they fear for their livelihood. This reminds me of the POS business owner (like one I used to work for) that sends a coworker who is not your supervisor in to terminate you so he doesnt have to do it to your face.

Oh no, we are not getting dragged into that mess. Not like we needed it, but our bosses just sent out a directive that this is a County Health Dept issue and we are to not get involved. I doubt you'd find a single IMPD officer who would have gotten involved anyway. Nope, no way, no how.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh no, we are not getting dragged into that mess. Not like we needed it, but our bosses just sent out a directive that this is a County Health Dept issue and we are to not get involved. I doubt you'd find a single IMPD officer who would have gotten involved anyway. Nope, no way, no how.
    That makes the most sense (as if any of this makes sense) that it's a health department issue, not a police/criminal justice issue.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

That's probably for the best.

I kind of understand an unenforced mandate. You'll probably go from 30% compliance to 85% because a whole lot of decent folks who are fence sitters (i.e. myself) will move from the "no mask camp" to "ok, sure camp". Herd mentality and all that jazz.

Plus, it lets a who bunch of people bemoan (the wafer thin) tyranny while still doing (arguably) the right thing.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Saw a guy at work (outside Marion Co) wearing a mask over his mouth - yes just his mouth, not his nose. He wears it all day long. While he is working by himself. I just saw him walking with another guy (less than 6' apart) and he had his mask around his chin. When the 2 separated he put his mask back on. :ugh:
    For the hearing impaired like me all conversation has stopped with coworkers. I can’t under stand them and I no longer have the benefit of lip reading. This is a whole new nightmare for people that like to socialize to take some of the stress off the day to day bs. Now we are alone with our thoughts.

some argue that we are always alone with our thoughts philosophically but I like to drown it out with meaningless stories and jokes

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    For the hearing impaired like me all conversation has stopped with coworkers. I can’t under stand them and I no longer have the benefit of lip reading. This is a whole new nightmare for people that like to socialize to take some of the stress off the day to day bs. Now we are alone with our thoughts.

some argue that we are always alone with our thoughts philosophically but I like to drown it out with meaningless stories and jokes

You know, that's a good point. We have quite a few deaf people at work (when we were "at work") and that's a valid point. Only a limited number of people know ASL. Yet if we were to return to work, we would be required to wear masks. Seems like there's an ADA violation there somewhere.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That's probably for the best.

I kind of understand an unenforced mandate. You'll probably go from 30% compliance to 85% because a whole lot of decent folks who are fence sitters (i.e. myself) will move from the "no mask camp" to "ok, sure camp". Herd mentality and all that jazz.

Plus, it lets a who bunch of people bemoan (the wafer thin) tyranny while still doing (arguably) the right thing.

I disagree it’s arguably “the right thing” to have to wear a mask anytime you’re outside of your home. (My understanding of the mandate). It has been stated many times that masks are a good idea if people cannot maintain social distancing. What we are seeing is the moving goal posts. We Americans value their safety and assume if a little bit is safe a little bit more is safer. Why wear a mask if I’m outside my home if no one else is within 6ft of me? Why wear a mask if I’m walking down the sidewalk with no one in sight?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I disagree it’s arguably “the right thing” to have to wear a mask anytime you’re outside of your home. (My understanding of the mandate). It has been stated many times that masks are a good idea if people cannot maintain social distancing. What we are seeing is the moving goal posts. We Americans value their safety and assume if a little bit is safe a little bit more is safer. Why wear a mask if I’m outside my home if no one else is within 6ft of me? Why wear a mask if I’m walking down the sidewalk with no one in sight?

We're arguing about it, no?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Ok. I’m caught up.

Meh. I don’t really have an opinion either way. Do whatever you feel is right for yourself and your family. I won’t look down on anyone who doesn’t wear one, not will I if they do wear one. I don’t like government telling me I HAVE to do something tho, I think naturally that’s going to make people resist even if they would’ve wore one before it was mandatory. Thankfully, I don’t live or work in Marion county, so I don’t have to worry about the moron running the show up there.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    One of the exemptions in this order is:

"Individuals who are unable to wear a mask or face covering for a physical, medical, or health-related reason."

My questions are:

1. What are the acceptable physical, medical, or health-related reasons?

2. Who determines what the acceptable physical, medical, or health-related reasons are?

3. What is the process for exercising such an exemption? Does simply stating that you have such a reason exempt you from the mandate, or is it something that will require time, money, and effort to provide a defense in a legal proceeding?

I think the exemption is so ambiguous that a judge would not take kindly to such a case being prosecuted.

Top Bottom