• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So been hiking the past week in the smokies….. in my exofficios darn tough socks trekking poles and go ruck boots (not sponsored lol just want you guys to know I’m in the club) I stopped in the rei out here and I found out why my boots have been hurting me… my whole life I thought I was a size 12 turns out I’m a size 13….. (yes I know someone suggested going there but a 4hr round trip didn’t sound fun) SO now I am back on the hunt, looking for the right size.

and my 7yo is a beast and is already using trekking sticks my 10yo kept up fine but is too cool for sticks like her mom. Yes mom and 10 yo tripped often.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    So been hiking the past week in the smokies….. in my exofficios darn tough socks trekking poles and go ruck boots (not sponsored lol just want you guys to know I’m in the club) I stopped in the rei out here and I found out why my boots have been hurting me… my whole life I thought I was a size 12 turns out I’m a size 13….. (yes I know someone suggested going there but a 4hr round trip didn’t sound fun) SO now I am back on the hunt, looking for the right size.

and my 7yo is a beast and is already using trekking sticks my 10yo kept up fine but is too cool for sticks like her mom. Yes mom and 10 yo tripped often.
    That’s awesome! I’m headed down there in July, already have a few trails mapped out that I’m really looking forward to!

I haven’t been hiking for a few weeks, dang hip started bothering me, and it really let me know about it wasn’t happy the last time I got out. Planning on trying to get out tomorrow and just take it easy, at least no running the hills.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    That’s awesome! I’m headed down there in July, already have a few trails mapped out that I’m really looking forward to!

I haven’t been hiking for a few weeks, dang hip started bothering me, and it really let me know about it wasn’t happy the last time I got out. Planning on trying to get out tomorrow and just take it easy, at least no running the hills.
    I have a couple off the radar ones that don’t show up on a lot of maps talked to locals it is their little secret I feel I can share it with ingo :dunno: :shady::ingo:This one is not on the national park maps so it is way less busy. I don’t think I am an expert hiker but these reviews make me think otherwise. It was not hard, roots yes.

edit to add: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/tennessee/spruce-flats-falls-trail and also the middle prong it is basically a long slight elevation gain great walk. 8miles and it gets you to the AT

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Has anyone hiked at Land Between the Lakes in Southwest KY?

The trails look decent.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Has anyone hiked at Land Between the Lakes in Southwest KY?

The trails look decent.
    Never been there but heads up, LBL has a 100% prohibition on carrying firearms unless hunting with a license.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Never been there but heads up, LBL has a 100% prohibition on carrying firearms unless hunting with a license.
    :nuts:

They have a range and firearms are prohibited? 36 CFR 261.53(e)

I don't know how this can be legal now under NYSRPA v Bruen.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Was it fairly dry? I would assume it would be right now but curious what you saw.
    Hiked Tecumseh southbound and then northbound mid-May. The reliable water sources had water. Small creeks were hit or miss then and likely dry now. See Trail Guide at link below for reliable water sources.

Did the logging detour and it opened back up a couple weeks later. Follow link for current Trail Conditions below. Look for pink ribbons in the former logging area.

Official trail has reroute around Indian Hill RR crossing. From observation mid-May you can still cross over the RR tracks by walking around a guard rail and ignoring the RR No Trespassing sign. Indian Hill Road north of the RR crossing as a gate since it is closed. Still a public road but heard the one neighbor can get grumpy and treats it as his own private drive.

Do this trail once or twice a year. Let me know if you have any questions.

Good resource below:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Hiked Tecumseh southbound and then northbound mid-May. The reliable water sources had water. Small creeks were hit or miss then and likely dry now. See Trail Guide at link below for reliable water sources.

Did the logging detour and it opened back up a couple weeks later. Follow link for current Trail Conditions below. Look for pink ribbons in the former logging area.

Official trail has reroute around Indian Hill RR crossing. From observation mid-May you can still cross over the RR tracks by walking around a guard rail and ignoring the RR No Trespassing sign. Indian Hill Road north of the RR crossing as a gate since it is closed. Still a public road but heard the one neighbor can get grumpy and treats it as his own private drive.

Do this trail once or twice a year. Let me know if you have any questions.

Good resource below:

Did a quick in and out from the north end to Foxes Den, probably 2015 or 16, so I didn’t make it that far, should have while it was open.
    The rail detour sounds kinda lame, couple miles road walk? I wonder if someone messed with the railroad to make them shut it down. Probably about as effective as a gun free zone I would assume.

I went in early September and it was just wet enough for my taste.
    We did Knobstone later on and of course had to spot water, I’d bet it’s dry now.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    Was it fairly dry? I would assume it would be right now but curious what you saw.
    When I went most creeks had at least a small puddle I could scoop water from. By now they are probably completely dry with only reliable spots providing water. They can be seen in the trail guide found at the site KittySlayer posted.

It was warm, I went through nearly 6 liters of water. My watch says the average temp was 83 with a max of 91.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    :nuts:

They have a range and firearms are prohibited? 36 CFR 261.53(e)

I don't know how this can be legal now under NYSRPA v Bruen.
    Only cases and unloaded transport to and from the range, last I reviewed.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wonder if someone messed with the railroad to make them shut it down. Probably about as effective as a gun free zone I would assume.

$. They didn't want to maintain a crossing for vehicles on such a lightly traveled road. The county agreed they didn't have to. They were petitioned to keep a pedestrian crossing and refused to do so. Now they don't have to pay to maintain a crossing and have reduced/eliminated liability should you get hit by a train trespassing.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    $. They didn't want to maintain a crossing for vehicles on such a lightly traveled road. The county agreed they didn't have to. They were petitioned to keep a pedestrian crossing and refused to do so. Now they don't have to pay to maintain a crossing and have reduced/eliminated liability should you get hit by a train trespassing.
    This. I think it was a backdoor deal between the county and the RR. The RR did not want to maintain the crossing. Equally so I think the county did not want to maintain the low water bridge so allowing the RR to close the crossing gave the county an easy excuse.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The rail detour sounds kinda lame, couple miles road walk? I wonder if someone messed with the railroad to make them shut it down. Probably about as effective as a gun free zone I would assume.

So if southbound you have a short walk on Hwy 45 and then go around a cattle gate type fence at the edge of the highway (#10). Walk a couple hundred yards on a the gravel Indiana Hill Road (blue dots). You will reach the RR with a Stop Sign and a No Trespassing sign (#11). Look both ways for trains and then simply walk around the guard rail. While the Hoosier Hikers Council cannot officially recommend you trespass I feel the walk on Hwy 45 is far more dangerous than crossing a rarely used RR track.

Cross over the low water bridge and start up the road. In a couple hundred feet there will be a cable gate and sign on your left that puts you back on the trail. Enjoy the uphill.

Charlies Cabin is a great overnight. There is a short water carry from either approach so you can fully stock up for overnight and then restock the next morning. Bean Blossom Creek to the north of CC and Plum Creek to the south of CC.

Tecumseh_RR.jpg

Tecumseh_RR_map.jpg

Trail backpackers can also camp on the northeast corner of Yellowwood Lake at the Youth Camp. Contact the Yellowwood Forest Office for details. There is also a new Backcountry Shelter west of Bear Lake.

Tecumseh.jpg

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Back after it. No trips or big hikes planned in the near future. But logging 4miles a day minimum. Just set a goal for fun hoping to make the walk (with weight) to my parents by the end of summer (19mi)

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I like wearing shorts on my morning walks….. but seems I spend half my time clearing my shoes out of rocks and sharp grass and the other half dealing with the rocks and sharp grass in my boots.

Time for some dedicated hiking pants… I know you guys take your equipment and testing seriously so any recommendations? Darn tough and exofficio haven’t done me wrong so I think you guys know your stuff.(tighty whitey guy need not reply sorry forgot who it was lol)

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ….. but seems I spend half my time clearing my shoes out of rocks and sharp grass...
    Do you need pants or could your solution for debris in your boots be gaiters? These are cheap and light and used by lots of thru hikers.

https://dirtygirlgaiters.com/

Been hiking in Prana Zion pants for a couple years. Been really happy with them even in 90+ degree heat. Dry really fast and have been durable although I am not hard on gear. Like the sizing available based on waist/inseam by inches rather than SML... On the expensive side but been happy with the bang for the buck.

Here is a good forum discussion on pants with post from folks with a lot of days in the backcountry every year.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/Fo...#/list/forumId/23/threadId/34440/postId/35219

Here we are wearing our Prana Zion pants while hiking in Zion National Park in August.

Z West Rim.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Do you need pants or could your solution for debris in your boots be gaiters? These are cheap and light and used by lots of thru hikers.

https://dirtygirlgaiters.com/

Been hiking in Prana Zion pants for a couple years. Been really happy with them even in 90+ degree heat. Dry really fast and have been durable although I am not hard on gear. Like the sizing available based on waist/inseam by inches rather than SML... On the expensive side but been happy with the bang for the buck.

Here is a good forum discussion on pants with post from folks with a lot of days in the backcountry every year.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/Fo...#/list/forumId/23/threadId/34440/postId/35219

Here we are wearing our Prana Zion pants while hiking in Zion National Park in August.

View attachment 281494
    100% the https://dirtygirlgaiters.com/
    They are light,dry quickly,and have kept me from getting rocks in my shoes or boots for thousands of miles. They also last. I still use the same ones I hiked the AT with.

Pants. Sigh. It is a struggle honestly. Light and quick drying? Rugged and durable? It is a fine line. I have yet to find pants that meet all of my needs honestly. I have loads of them,but not all fit for any given hike,and around half of them zip off into shorts for cold morning starts. What I end up using most hikes are Colombia Amazon product ASIN B01MSOLAEO
    They are not perfect, but better than the northface ones that have some of the cheapest thread and have come unstitched one to many times do to wear. The cloth of the northface is better,the thread though is not at all durable and once an unravel starts forget about it. Rather it be a pocket or leg seam they just fall apart(quickly). I still own some northface pants. I do like the material feel and fit more,but they are more for a day hike than even a long weekend one(trust issues lol).

:twocents:

Top Bottom