• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    You should ask Ed how many licenses are held by suspects arrested for allegedly contributing to making last year the most violent on record. I'm guessing it's somewhere approaching zero.
    It would also be worth asking how many of those causing crime and mayhem, bother to get a LTCH too. Or maybe it would be a waste of time because he's a PC bigot who's mind is made up...without relying on facts

Hoosierq

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    What will the the LACK of an Indiana "License to Carry a Handgun" do to our reciprocity. We have all of our neighboring states except Illinois which WE'LL NEVER HAVE, I can literally travel from Canada to "Cuba" or from Canada to Mexico legally on an Indiana permit. Will the lack of the permit impact this?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You can still get the 5 year for reciprocity for free and if you have the lifetime it will remain valid.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I can see at least one, and it's the same one I brought up when a similar bill was introduced before. This could possibly remove lawful carry from any state that currently recognizes our LTCH. At least for anyone who doesn't currently have one and gets the new "reciprocity license" under this bill. Per the bill

The text of the bill states that the new "reciprocity license" is for carrying in another state under a reciprocity agreement entered into by this state and another. One major problem, Indiana does not have a single reciprocity agreement with any state, nor is there any method to enter into one. And there is no method in this bill to enter one. Leave the name alone and wipe that section and I see no problem. Heck I see no reason to change the name anyway.

Yes Kirk I know about your efforts to get Texas to recognize our LTCH, but the Governor of Texas Proclamation does not equal a reciprocity agreement.

Except for the money aspect, which is moot. How does an LEO check if someone who is carrying a long gun, black powder revolver, or antique pistol for instance isn't a prohibited person? None of those require a LTCH.
    If the Kenyan didn't have to prove he's eligible why should i have to prove I am not a prohibited person?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    What will the the LACK of an Indiana "License to Carry a Handgun" do to our reciprocity. We have all of our neighboring states except Illinois which WE'LL NEVER HAVE, I can literally travel from Canada to "Cuba" or from Canada to Mexico legally on an Indiana permit. Will the lack of the permit impact this?
    There are licenses (5 year and Lifetime) which will exist after HB 1369 becomes law. If you cross a line on a map now you must obey the laws of that State. If they require a license, there will be one you can get. Current LTCH still good after passage as well.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    No. I am sick and tired of having to jump through hoops for trifles when others are considered above accountability doing things that change the course of the nation.
    Ok. Then until you provide a birth certificate, I'll feel free to assume you are from Kenya.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If the Kenyan didn't have to prove he's eligible why should i have to prove I am not a prohibited person?
    Where have I said you should? Although one is the law and the other is not.
    There are licenses (5 year and Lifetime) which will exist after HB 1369 becomes law. If you cross a line on a map now you must obey the laws of that State. If they require a license, there will be one you can get. Current LTCH still good after passage as well.
    The current LTCH is still good, see my post quoted below concerning the new "reciprocity license".
    The text of the bill states that the new "reciprocity license" is for carrying in another state under a reciprocity agreement entered into by this state and another. One major problem, Indiana does not have a single reciprocity agreement with any state, nor is there any method to enter into one. And there is no method in this bill to enter one. Leave the name alone and wipe that section and I see no problem. Heck I see no reason to change the name anyway.
    Here is the actual text from the bill.
    "A resident of this state who wishes to carry a firearm in another state under a reciprocity agreement entered into by this state and another state may obtain an Indiana reciprocity license under this chapter by applying:"

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Where have I said you should? Although one is the law and the other is not.

The current LTCH is still good, see my post quoted below concerning the new "reciprocity license".

Here is the actual text from the bill.
    "A resident of this state who wishes to carry a firearm in another state under a reciprocity agreement entered into by this state and another state may obtain an Indiana reciprocity license under this chapter by applying:"
    Preachin to the choir, TJBB. I've read HB 1369 too, maybe some haven't.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Ok. Then until you provide a birth certificate, I'll feel free to assume you are from Kenya.
    You can assume I'm from outer space if you like. It really doesn't make a difference, although I have been called upon to produce such documentation for official purposes where a former president strangely enough had not.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Preachin to the choir, TJBB. I've read HB 1369 too, maybe some haven't.
    Not sure if I am. From your other post it seems you disagree with the one you responded to.
    If they require a license, there will be one you can get. Current LTCH still good after passage as well.

My worries is that this new "reciprocity license" will be worthless. Per the bill it's only purpose is to allow carry under a reciprocity agreement. Indiana doesn't have one with any state and there is nothing in the law to allow or provide a method for Indiana to enter into one.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Not sure if I am. From your other post it seems you disagree with the one you responded to.

My worries is that this new "reciprocity license" will be worthless. Per the bill it's only purpose is to allow carry under a reciprocity agreement. Indiana doesn't have one with any state and there is nothing in the law to allow or provide a method for Indiana to enter into one.
    Nomenclature change, the purpose is the same as far as the "reciprocity" we have with other States. Since a license will be no longer required in Indiana the change shows this.

I'm not a lawyer (insert lawyer joke here), but a lot of lawyers were involved with writing the bill. I bet there is a process to notify the States which recognize the Indiana LTCH of the change.

The LTCH was a piece of pink paper for the longest time. Then they were pink plastic. That's a pretty significant change, somebody other than us noticed.

When the military changed from the traditional green ID to that horrid CAC card (2003 for me, that was a sad day) that makes everyone's ID look like a contractor? Notifications went out all over the DoD and other .gov entities.

Indiana has changed it's drivers license. From the time they started putting pictures on them in the 70s until recently they looked very similar. The new one (bleck!) looks NOTHING like the one that has been around since Doc Bowen was Governor. You can bet notification went out.

I can't stress enough I'm not a lawyer (What do you call someone who got C's in law school? Your Honor!!) but the ConC road isn't newly paved. Through 2019 there were 16 States with ConC, 15 previously had licenses/permits for handguns.

If you're on the Facebook reach out to Guy.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

What? Which gun shop is telling you this?

I did the Indiana-Texas reciprocity agreement in 2005, which I started in 2003. With the help of an election in Texas I got it done in two years.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    What? Which gun shop is telling you this?

I did the Indiana-Texas reciprocity agreement in 2005, which I started in 2003. With the help of an election in Texas I got it done in two years.
    If you had read my previous post, I wouldn't have had to reply to this one. A proclamation by the Governor of Texas does not equal a reciprocity agreement. And once again, thank you very much for your work involved in getting that proclamation issued.

ETA Please show your work in regards to anyone in the IN govt agreeing to said proclamation, and where in the IN Constitution or code where it is authorized for them to do so.
    Nomenclature change, the purpose is the same as far as the "reciprocity" we have with other States. Since a license will be no longer required in Indiana the change shows this.

I'm not a lawyer (insert lawyer joke here), but a lot of lawyers were involved with writing the bill. I bet there is a process to notify the States which recognize the Indiana LTCH of the change.

If you're on the Facebook reach out to Guy.
    It's not simply a nomenclature change, the bill states the exact nature of the new license. No matter what the intended purpose of the license the bill states different. It won't effect myself, since I have a lifetime LTCH and the bill states that it will remain in effect.

When a similar bill was introduced a couple of years back and when Guy was more of a regular contributor on this site, I mentioned my concerns. He stated that I might have a valid point and said he was going to reach out to Rep Lucas about it. Never heard anything after that.

Last edited:

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Anyone care to dissect this article ?

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    I firmly support and believe in the Second Amendment! I have followed the progress of this Bill. I wonder, however, how moving to an Indiana Constitutional carry will effect the reciprocity agreements that other non Constitutional carry states have with Indiana. I suspect that those states would be significantly less welcoming to unlicensed but armed Indiana visitors.

Top Bottom