• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I a gun lover, owner and carry. I will have to admit I'm not for just letting anyone carry a handgun. I always picture in my mind my daughter carrying a gun

That's the thing about rights: they're not something that we have the authority to let anyone exercise; their prerogative to exercise those rights comes from our Creator.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Well, I am in trouble, cause I do not have a license to own a gun.

You don't? I do and it is being kept in DC and it goes by the name of The Second Amendment! It has a dual purpose as identifying a right guaranteed to me as well.
    No current fee to use it, it was paid in full over two years ago!

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I a gun lover, owner and carry. I will have to admit I'm not for just letting anyone carry a handgun. I always picture in my mind my daughter carrying a gun
    And what is the problem with your daughter carrying a gun? You implied that you carry and I assume it is for your protection, I would think you would her to have the same level of protection. Jim.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Remember, constitutional carry doesn't force anyone to carry a gun, it just lets them exercise that right if they choose to do so. Nothing changes except people who do choose to carry don't have to apply for, pay money and wait in order to exercise the right.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Is your daughter a felon? Or under age? If not what is the problem? Do you not want her to be able to provide for her own protection?

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Had a heated conversation with my wife about this. I get her point of view, which is crazy people shouldn't be allowed to have guns.

The problem with that idea, is that you have a crazy/corrupt government responsible for evaluating the crazy people who aren't allowed to have guns. In a perfect world, yes I'd trust someone qualified to do an evaluation before letting someone carry. But we're not in a perfect world, and I'd rather err on the side of freedom. Otherwise, you'd wind up with a big commie sheriff/police chief experiencing "processing delays" for all LTC.

I just bumped in to an old Marine Vietnam vet in my LGS yesterday. He told me when he got back to the states it took him about a year to get his LTC. He was told he "had a propensity for violence." Yeah Vietnam will do that to a guy. He had to get his psychologist, his doctor, and a state senator to sign off for him before he got it....and That's why I'll err on the side of freedom.

erasure

komm süßer tod
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2020
    merrrerrrmrerrerverre
    Had a heated conversation with my wife about this. I get her point of view, which is crazy people shouldn't be allowed to have guns.
    Crazy people who, right now, are restrained only by the absence of a little bit of pink paper.

I mean, how does this work? guy wakes up in the morning, it's bright and sunny, today's the day he shoots everybody. And their mom. Twice. He is the angel of death, the time of purification is at hand.

Then he remembers he hasn't got a carry permit, starts crying and goes back to bed

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Even if Holcomb vetoes it, apparently (TIL?) an override only requires a simple majority in Indiana.
    As many times as Kirk has taught me this lesson, it better be that way or I will petition to revoke his license to practice!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    That's the thing about rights: they're not something that we have the authority to let anyone exercise; their prerogative to exercise those rights comes from our Creator.
    Now I know why there are so many closet atheists in politics. If they can prove we have no Creator, we have no rights!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I am a believer.
    Others believe differently.
    I will accept their calling it natural rights.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Okay, so let's think about this at a philosophical level: the question contemplates what could go wrong by getting the government more out of the way of law-abiding citizens exercising constitutionally protected rights. How does that "crumble the foundation" (whatever that means)?
    There is a reason I want the people who pose the hypothetical to be responsible for providing the details. The due process burden is on them to prove why the state should be able to infringe upon individual liberty. (And as a practical matter, we know all of the tropes that will get peddled, and can disprove them.)

Her question was valid as she is very involved in the laws of our state. It is over my head as I don’t make the laws but have seen some pretty stupid ones get passed under the blanket of righteousness.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm still looking for the one restriction upon the natural rights documented in the second amendment to the constitution of the united States that prevented evil.
    Maybe we should write to Senile Joe suggesting an Executive Order banning evil?

Top Bottom