• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I'd stay away from wagons. By the time you upgrade everything, your guna be out more than you want to be. I'd go with either an old camper or a boat trailer. Usally small campers are trashed because of leaking roofs, but they tend to be a blind in itself just needing a bit of tlc.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd stay away from wagons. By the time you upgrade everything, your guna be out more than you want to be. I'd go with either an old camper or a boat trailer. Usally small campers are trashed because of leaking roofs, but they tend to be a blind in itself just needing a bit of tlc.
    I'm not a hunter nor a farmer - but this is what I'd do.

I'd not muck with a hay wagon that can't really be towed very effeciently - if that's what one wants. A small utility trailer from Craigslist would work well.

Can either build or make stability pylons to prop up the tongue/tongue end of the thing.

And a junky camper trailer, provided the frame itself is good, would probably make a right OK blind, too. And it'll already probably have decent enough roof / sidewalls.

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Interstate Highways, Implements of husbandry may not be operated on interstate highways or tollways. [11-711]

I got a ticket years ago for doing this.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    For clarity, I had no intentions of trying to tow it on the interstate. I was curious about top speeds to try to determine how long it would take to tow one out here on the county roads. I think the answer is around two weeks lol.

Once we have it and get it over to our other property (which is about four miles) it won't need to be moved on the roads any longer so I don't need it to be super road worthy. It will be getting towed around the hunting property so the larger tires of a hay wagon along with the height of the frame make it the most attractive option. The blind has to be at least 4' off the ground or it has to be slathered with blaze orange or some such nonsense we have no intention of doing.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    For clarity, I had no intentions of trying to tow it on the interstate. I was curious about top speeds to try to determine how long it would take to tow one out here on the county roads. I think the answer is around two weeks lol.

Once we have it and get it over to our other property (which is about four miles) it won't need to be moved on the roads any longer so I don't need it to be super road worthy. It will be getting towed around the hunting property so the larger tires of a hay wagon along with the height of the frame make it the most attractive option. The blind has to be at least 4' off the ground or it has to be slathered with blaze orange or some such nonsense we have no intention of doing.
    Oh ... only 4 miles? Then heck yeah go for a hay wagon of whatever you want.

4' floor height may be difficult to realize?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Oh ... only 4 miles? Then heck yeah go for a hay wagon of whatever you want.

4' floor height may be difficult to realize?
    I was asking about the long trip in case I need to bring one from home. Seems I can find them for $200-$400 pretty regularly on FB close to home but nothing out where we're at.

The floor of most I've seen is already 3' off the ground so getting the 4' minimum won't be an issue.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I was asking about the long trip in case I need to bring one from home. Seems I can find them for $200-$400 pretty regularly on FB close to home but nothing out where we're at.

The floor of most I've seen is already 3' off the ground so getting the 4' minimum won't be an issue.

Post a picture of it when you guys are done, I'm curious.

Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    Decommissioned anhydrous tank running gear works really good, I've built 4 of these. 30 mph on county roads. I had to pull them a short distance on the Pennyrile to get to their final destination, may have seen 40 mph. I didn't build the box, those are from "Shadow Hunter".

Attachments

• IMG_0678.jpg
      IMG_0678.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 10
    • IMG_0679.jpg
      IMG_0679.jpg
      1.4 MB · Views: 11

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Get an old trailer made from a truck bed, axel. That’s if you want to tow at hi-way or city street speed. Forget hay wagon gear entirely unless it‘s close and on county roads. The ridged vs articulated hitch bar is the difference, Hi-way, or road speeds create to much heat on tires for hay wagon tires. Hay wagons are designed for farm use, not long range road use. (Under 15 MPH.) The bulk tank trailers, boat trailers have some merit. JMO

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've been thinking of doing something similar except I would need to get a utility trailer and title it since I will need to place and remove it every year, making an approximately 50 mile trip each way. I don't really want to mess with trying to title a cheap trailer from FB or CL but I don't want to pay $1,000 plus for a new trailer either. I've been looking at some of the some of the new trailers that you assemble yourself that are much more reasonably priced but I'm not sure how difficult they would be to title.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I've been thinking of doing something similar except I would need to get a utility trailer and title it since I will need to place and remove it every year, making an approximately 50 mile trip each way. I don't really want to mess with trying to title a cheap trailer from FB or CL but I don't want to pay $1,000 plus for a new trailer either. I've been looking at some of the some of the new trailers that you assemble yourself that are much more reasonably priced but I'm not sure how difficult they would be to title.
    The process should be the same as a FB or CL trailer, all are home built…

Top Bottom