Has Anyone been on a Guided Black Bear Hunts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Ten years ago that was probably a pretty good deal now, with caribou herds heading toward the bust portion of their cycle, that would be an incredible deal just for a caribou hunt and anyone crazy enough to offer a guarantee would be more than a little suspect.

Yep. They guarantee'd a caribou. Now that I think about it, I think it was more along the lines of "We'll guarantee you'll be able to shoot a caribou" vs. actually bagging one. The hunter is still the person to do the deed and all that.

anvil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2017
    N.E. In.
    Got mine years ago in Utah-dogs & bow***,BUT I think if I did again,, way would be live aboard boat in N.W. spotting along coastline, put ashore for stalk

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Yep. They guarantee'd a caribou. Now that I think about it, I think it was more along the lines of "We'll guarantee you'll be able to shoot a caribou" vs. actually bagging one. The hunter is still the person to do the deed and all that.

Guarantees of a shot on caribou weren't uncommon back then from reputable outfitters. Caribou have always been a bit unpredictable as to the exact timing and path they would follow on their migration but there were so many of them back then that any reasonably large outfitter could find some somewhere in their territory at almost any time during the season. The guarantee usually included flying hunters to another camp at no charge if caribou were sparse where they were originally dropped off. The odds of a hunter not getting at least one shot in a week was really low, especially with a change in hunting area if necessary. Now, with the greatly reduced herds, few outfitters even offer a free move to a different territory, let alone a guarantee on a shot at a caribou.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    I appreciate all the suggestions so far. Looks like I may need to expand my search radius and price range a bit.

I don't think I'm quite ready to drive half way across the continent to an area I'm unfamiliar with, with no idea what I'm doing, and try a self-guided bear hunt on my first try. I haven't had much luck with that in the past. So for my first time out, regardless of what style hunt I go on, I'd like to go with someone who has experience doing it.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I appreciate all the suggestions so far. Looks like I may need to expand my search radius and price range a bit.

I don't think I'm quite ready to drive half way across the continent to an area I'm unfamiliar with, with no idea what I'm doing, and try a self-guided bear hunt on my first try. I haven't had much luck with that in the past. So for my first time out, regardless of what style hunt I go on, I'd like to go with someone who has experience doing it.

For my hunt with Pierceland Outfitters I flew into Edmonton Alberta and drove to Pierceland Saskatchewan. It was only about $400 to fly and well worth it. I did have to rent a 4x4 truck for the week, but it was nice not having to worry about driving my own personal truck and also saved a few days of driving.

Top Bottom