Has Anyone been on a Guided Black Bear Hunts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    My brother and I would like to go bear hunting. We are looking for recommendations on outfitters, has anyone here been on a guided hunt recently? Where did you go, and what can you tell me about the place. This trip will be planned for next year (2021).

I'd like to keep the location within a reasonable driving distance from Indy, I was thinking some place like Ontario, but am open to other places. We are looking for someplace with a large bear population and high success rate. We haven't decided on a type of hunt yet.

I know there are lots of big bears coming from the Carolina's right now, but those are a little out of budget. My budget is around $3000.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    you might want to look at little closer.
    WV & PA
    not so much guided by populations & harvests are record levels.
    WV is 5hrs from Indy...bear counties about 8hrs.
    PA 9 to 12hrs
    Both have excellent public lands and the people I've met hunting deer & turkey are great.
    Never needed a guide and been very successful since 1968.
    I have also hunted VA but with politics so out of wack... I would not spend the effort.....I was also, much less successful hunting deer & turkey there but they have bear & you can hunt on the border of WV & VA in George Wash & Jefferson Nat'l forests.......
    can have one foot in each state.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The Worldwide Trophy Adventures black bear page might be a good place to start. It looks like they have several options that might work for you and there is a bear + fishing combo in Quebec for just under $2,000 listed near the bottom of the page.

I haven't been on any of the bear hunts but I did use the WTA service as my booking agent when I went to South Africa. They were quick to answer questions about hunts/options and all around great to deal with.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Oh man. I'd love a bear hunt!

I have family in GA. He(They) lease some acreage to deer hunt. They've caught at least one black bear on their game cameras down there. I think the GA bear hunting season is exactly 1 day long. And I have no idea how out-of-state folks would be able to participate, or if it's not allowed for non-residents.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Bear hunting is probably my favorite hunting. That said, there are 3 distinctive types of hunt.

1) dogs (no desire)
    2) stand (no desire)
    3) spot and stalk (favorite by far)

Reasonable drive distance kind of pigeon holes you to stand hunt over bait like deer. To spot and stalk, you need to go out west.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Bear hunting is probably my favorite hunting. That said, there are 3 distinctive types of hunt.

1) dogs (no desire)
    2) stand (no desire)
    3) spot and stalk (favorite by far)

Reasonable drive distance kind of pigeon holes you to stand hunt over bait like deer. To spot and stalk, you need to go out west.
    3 is what I'd like to do.
    For me there is no sport in luring a bear into a stand killzone with bait and then shooting it. To each their own though

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I hunted with Pierceland Outfitters in NW Saskatchewan a few years ago and had a great time. Got my bear on the second day and was able to go fishing for pike the remainder of the week. Everyone in camp got their bears by day 4. It was priced at $3250 at the time, which I believe was raised to $3500 now. This does include your license as well.

Home Page

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Those doing spot and stalk:

Did you use a guide? What kind of area did you glass/spot? How long was the stalk?

I love spot and stalk. The style of hunting is often more important than the quarry IMO.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Bear

I’ve been on two black bear hunts. Both with a bow. One in Quebec and one in Ontario. Consider a hunt with Pine Acres in Ontario. 12 of us went. 10 took home bears. One guy missed at 30 yards with a 300 Win Mag and one bow hunter choked. They have a booth each year at Deer & Turkey Expo. Usually booked a year in advance. My bow killed bear weighEd 300#.

PM me if you want details.

Attachments

• FEE9F620-2C4E-4470-8258-6E9FE7E2A4F3.jpeg
      FEE9F620-2C4E-4470-8258-6E9FE7E2A4F3.jpeg
      35.2 KB · Views: 6

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Those doing spot and stalk:

Did you use a guide? What kind of area did you glass/spot? How long was the stalk?

I love spot and stalk. The style of hunting is often more important than the quarry IMO.

My first time I did use pine valley outfitters in Halfway Oregon. Cost is 2k, but the owner and I have gotten to know each other over the years of me doing shows out there, so I traded scopes. The area was wide open, snake river mountains. I spotted 1 bear at 5 miles.

When I killed my bear, there was no stalk, I happened to be glassing on the trail be was running up. Got him at 4 yards.

You are 100% spot on. With this type hunt the experience is the trophy, the harvest is just gravy.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I hunted with Pierceland Outfitters in NW Saskatchewan a few years ago and had a great time. Got my bear on the second day and was able to go fishing for pike the remainder of the week. Everyone in camp got their bears by day 4. It was priced at $3250 at the time, which I believe was raised to $3500 now. This does include your license as well.

Home Page

Man. That's the kind of "Hunt" I'd like to do.

A handful of years ago, my step dad and I visited an outfitter booth at the Boat, Sport, and Travel Show. They were offering big combo trips: Bear hunt, caribou hunt, and then fishing. It was like a few days bear hunting, a GUARANTE on a Caribou, and then fishing whatever time remained. It seemed glorious.

It was like 3 flights. Jet to Toronto, I believe. Then a regional plane another few hours north. Then a puddle jumper another 3-4 hours north of there into BFE Ontario. This was probaly 10 years ago and it was around $5500 then. It was too much for me at the time.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've gone black bear hunting a few times and apparently I suck at it because I've yet to bring one home, so take anything I say worth a grain of salt. Anymore I can't stand sitting in any kind of a stand and I'd much prefer to spot and stalk, but that isn't always easy to find. Personally, my goal in a hunt isn't necessarily to

In 2005 I went to a place in Maine called "Sway Back Lodging". It was our first time bear hunting and was the dirt cheapest place I/we could find. The guy who went with me wasn't going to pay a nickle more than he had to so that probably had something to do with it. Between the two of us we didn't see a bear the entire week. Later on in the week a couple other hunters showed up and had photo albums of bears hunts they'd been on and they were shocked at how the guide was doing things. According to them, he was an idiot. We didn't know better and still enjoyed ourselves. I can't say enough about how I'd never go back to this place ever again.

In 2007, I went to a place called Auld Reekie Lodge, in Gowganda Ontario. This place was what people have in mind when they think of middle of nowhere Ontario. I saw the bear of a lifetime there and due to overthinking the shot I screwed it up. Long story, but he walked off a shot too high on the shoulder from a 30-30. Tracking a blood trail took hours in the bush up there and it's a tough bushwhack. This place was top notch.

In 2008, we went to a place called "Fox's Den Lodge" in Missanabie, Ontario. If you think a white metal folding chair behind tree branch counts as a ground blind this may be your outfit. If you think running out of gas in the boat and having customers row you back to the gas station is professional this may be your outfit. If you think a guide telling you that they can sell you the license when you get there only to find out you've got to backtrack a few hours to the nearest place wtih your fingers crossed they still have a few is professional this may be a good outfit for you. Again, the recurring theme here is they were the cheapest place we could find. I can't say enough about how I'd never go back to this place ever again.

In 2009, and 2010 I went back to Auld Reekie. I really like that place and even though I never got a bear there, several people I've hunted with have. I just drew the short straw.

If you're worried about taking guns into Ontario, don't be. I've done it several times and it was never an issue. Actually couldn't have been any easier. I'd just make sure you're not finding the dirt cheapest outfit you can. I've been there, done that, and at the time it was the best I could afford. In hindsight, I'd pay more.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've gone black bear hunting a few times and apparently I suck at it because I've yet to bring one home, so take anything I say worth a grain of salt. Anymore I can't stand sitting in any kind of a stand and I'd much prefer to spot and stalk, but that isn't always easy to find. Personally, my goal in a hunt isn't necessarily to

In 2005 I went to a place in Maine called "Sway Back Lodging". It was our first time bear hunting and was the dirt cheapest place I/we could find. The guy who went with me wasn't going to pay a nickle more than he had to so that probably had something to do with it. Between the two of us we didn't see a bear the entire week. Later on in the week a couple other hunters showed up and had photo albums of bears hunts they'd been on and they were shocked at how the guide was doing things. According to them, he was an idiot. We didn't know better and still enjoyed ourselves. I can't say enough about how I'd never go back to this place ever again.

In 2007, I went to a place called Auld Reekie Lodge, in Gowganda Ontario. This place was what people have in mind when they think of middle of nowhere Ontario. I saw the bear of a lifetime there and due to overthinking the shot I screwed it up. Long story, but he walked off a shot too high on the shoulder from a 30-30. Tracking a blood trail took hours in the bush up there and it's a tough bushwhack. This place was top notch.

In 2008, we went to a place called "Fox's Den Lodge" in Missanabie, Ontario. If you think a white metal folding chair behind tree branch counts as a ground blind this may be your outfit. If you think running out of gas in the boat and having customers row you back to the gas station is professional this may be your outfit. If you think a guide telling you that they can sell you the license when you get there only to find out you've got to backtrack a few hours to the nearest place wtih your fingers crossed they still have a few is professional this may be a good outfit for you. Again, the recurring theme here is they were the cheapest place we could find. I can't say enough about how I'd never go back to this place ever again.

In 2009, and 2010 I went back to Auld Reekie. I really like that place and even though I never got a bear there, several people I've hunted with have. I just drew the short straw.

If you're worried about taking guns into Ontario, don't be. I've done it several times and it was never an issue. Actually couldn't have been any easier. I'd just make sure you're not finding the dirt cheapest outfit you can. I've been there, done that, and at the time it was the best I could afford. In hindsight, I'd pay more.

5 trips and no bear, man....that's some dedication!

If you want to go on a guided hunt for bear and come home with one you need to go to Saskatchewan or Alberta. The numbers there are super high, in some areas you can take 2. Book through a reputable outfitter, I went through Steve's Outdoor Adventures, but there's several other places that are good. Honestly, expect to pay $4k+ for a hunt. Ask lots of questions from the outfitter and the guide service prior to booking.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne

A handful of years ago, my step dad and I visited an outfitter booth at the Boat, Sport, and Travel Show. They were offering big combo trips: Bear hunt, caribou hunt, and then fishing. It was like a few days bear hunting, a GUARANTE on a Caribou, and then fishing whatever time remained. It seemed glorious.

It was like 3 flights. Jet to Toronto, I believe. Then a regional plane another few hours north. Then a puddle jumper another 3-4 hours north of there into BFE Ontario. This was probaly 10 years ago and it was around $5500 then. It was too much for me at the time.

Had a great time there, first class operation. Huge whitetails too. A few pics from my trip.

5a1505ca-81c8-40cc-969e-a015114fc44b_jpg-1561290.JPG

dd6819ea-7317-415f-95c0-44f6b02a3c3f_jpg-1561291.JPG

271dc99b-7e61-4867-bc07-5f1113a6e4a0_jpg-1561292.JPG

404d21d7-4f80-41c3-817a-2f1e6df9654b_jpg-1561299.JPG

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Ten years ago that was probably a pretty good deal now, with caribou herds heading toward the bust portion of their cycle, that would be an incredible deal just for a caribou hunt and anyone crazy enough to offer a guarantee would be more than a little suspect.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I’m headed to Colorado with a muzzleloader elk tag in September. Self guided public lands, otc bear tags are cheap there and everyone tells me i WILL see bear.

if I see one without Cubs I’m coming home with a bear. I think Colorado still has some leftover rifle bear tags as well. Look up “leftover tags”.

other states may have leftovers as well.

best of luck

Top Bottom