• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Everything comes with voice control nowadays, unfortunately.
    It’s just a button on the remote that you have to push and just say your search terms.

I have the fire stick 4K, which I guess is the highest option unit. I have no trouble receiving Wi-Fi signals anywhere with it.
    Oh okay, so like the voice control remote from Xfinity, and not the "Alexa" that listens to everything you do at all times?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Oh okay, so like the voice control remote from Xfinity, and not the "Alexa" that listens to everything you do at all times?
    It’s not supposed to listen unless you’re holding the button down, but who knows? Like cell phones all functions are software controlled and unless you remove the connection from the microphone, there’s no way to know.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Just finished Fallout and that's how you adapt a video game to the screen. It was a shorter season than I would have liked but it perfectly captured the tone of the game. The character credited as "Snake oil salesman" is just like one of the random encounter NPCs from the games and they even included elements of the gameplay like the hacking. I'll probably need to rewatch the season several times to take in all the references. I like the lore expansion like giving the Mr. Handy robots an in-universe voice model and plainly stating exactly who caused the apocalypse and why, which is sort of explained in the games too but you have to read through the right computer terminals to find it.

I can't see this not getting a second season and beyond. I hope to see more of the crazy mutated versions of animals, super mutants and maybe even a Deathclaw next go 'round.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Just finished Fallout and that's how you adapt a video game to the screen. It was a shorter season than I would have liked but it perfectly captured the tone of the game. The character credited as "Snake oil salesman" is just like one of the random encounter NPCs from the games and they even included elements of the gameplay like the hacking. I'll probably need to rewatch the season several times to take in all the references. I like the lore expansion like giving the Mr. Handy robots an in-universe voice model and plainly stating exactly who caused the apocalypse and why, which is sort of explained in the games too but you have to read through the right computer terminals to find it.

I can't see this not getting a second season and beyond. I hope to see more of the crazy mutated versions of animals, super mutants and maybe even a Deathclaw next go 'round.
    I watched episode 1 yesterday. This is not a game I have played but I may have to give it a go after I finish watching this.

I'd like to see a Bioshock adaptation.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Since the show was your first introduction to the series, New Vegas would probably be the best one to start with since it takes place in the same general region and for reasons I won't spoil, that looks to become even more true if/when there's a second season.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I watched episode 1 yesterday. This is not a game I have played but I may have to give it a go after I finish watching this.

Bioshock would so cool...if they follow the formula that the Fallout show is using-follow the source material.

Don't make the mistake that they have done in 2 seasons of Halo.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI

Since the show was your first introduction to the series, New Vegas would probably be the best one to start with since it takes place in the same general region and for reasons I won't spoil, that looks to become even more true if/when there's a second season.
    If you do decide to play New Vegas, be wary of what platform you use. PC requires certain mods for it to be more stable on modern multi-core CPUs, where as console is a little bit more forgiving. Either way, you will eventually get a crash as the Gamebryo engine makes the Source engine look like as stable as solid bedrock. Stagger you saves as even though it's very rare, but save files may become corrupted.

Another piece of advice, invest in Speech however Charisma is not as important as anything else that makes you SPECIAL, stay the f*** out of Sloan and anywhere North of Goodsprings starting out, 357 magnum and 44 magnum are cool but 45-70 Government is way better, and fast skating blurs of turquoise and bright orange in the distance = DEATH! avoid unless you know what you are doing.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you do decide to play New Vegas, be wary of what platform you use. PC requires certain mods for it to be more stable on modern multi-core CPUs, where as console is a little bit more forgiving. Either way, you will eventually get a crash as the Gamebryo engine makes the Source engine look like as stable as solid bedrock. Stagger you saves as even though it's very rare, but save files may become corrupted.

Another piece of advice, invest in Speech however Charisma is not as important as anything else that makes you SPECIAL, stay the f*** out of Sloan and anywhere North of Goodsprings starting out, 357 magnum and 44 magnum are cool but 45-70 Government is way better, and fast skating blurs of turquoise and bright orange in the distance = DEATH! avoid unless you know what you are doing.
    I'll check it out. Will be on Xbox and whichever games/sequels are on GamePass Ultimate. I don't play a ton of games these days but have a really good deal on Gamepass.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    You know the subject of games and books being made into movies brings up an interesting a potential philosophical debate over what experience or lore is the truest. This debate gets even more muddled when IP (Intellectual Property) is traded around, or when the woke mob does their 1984 impression and change things for an agenda.

The Punisher is a good example. I'm not really into comic book lore, but I at least know that the Punisher was some badass Paul Kersey type character who used guns instead of super powers. However woke DC or Marvel (I don't know what universe Frank belongs to) decided to change all of that and basically turned him into their torture victim. With that being what it is, I'm sure many Punisher fans would not consider this canon, even though the IP holders say it is. And even compare this to what the original creators envisioned with Frank. Legally what the IP holders say is what goes, but I think I speak for every serious nerd that legality doesn't mean anything to what should be considered true or not true.

In my opinion, Halo's lore was established through the games and supplemented with books and some animated shorts. The originally intended media, and the only true way to experience the story again IMO, is by playing the games. Any continuity issues that may arise with the books and animated shorts should be abrogated by the games lore to be considered canon. Another thing to keep in mind was how and by whom was the story developed by. Halo was originally thought out by a group of college dipsticks in their small Chicago office (and I mean that with the utmost respect because it was these dipsticks, like Id Software with John Carmack and Romerro as well as Valve with Gabe Newell and company, that pioneered the industry and made such lasting and beloved IPs). Programmers and artists who gave their heart and soul vs. corporate committees (by the way this is one of the reasons I believe modern stories in games and shows suck so much).

I'm sure that some would disagree with my stance that canon should be primarily pegged with the games. I guess the question then would be when does the IP transcend the original intended media? Does Microsoft or Paramount have the right to change canon just because they hold the IP now? Legally yes, however I would say a resounding H*** NO from what the Halo community and enthusiasts should consider canon. Should LOTR fans accept black femenist vegan elves as canon even though J.R.R. Tolkien probably couldn't even conceive of the monstrosity their spawning with this show? Again I say H*** NO!

Now one may ask why I am so wax on about this. I believe it comes down to many things, but specifying canon allows us to preserve the awesome experiences and stories that made these franchises great in the first place. They can also preserve what the original author's intentions were, as well as clearly define what hills we are dying upon. Imagine in a few years telling people you are a LOTR fan, and they automatically come up with this image of you liking the Ring of Power series (even though that's not likely but still illustrates my point). Or Paramount making Combat Evolved resemble more of a soap opera, while I remember it being a fight for my life and being utterly horrified about the truth behind Halo.

Games, movies ,and TV shows are nearly as trivial as they get, however this is a microcosm of how the Culture War works, as well as they outright dangerous move to destroy and rewrite history.

Top Bottom