• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fzd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fishers
    Halo series is on Paramount + now. The reviews are pretty bad... although we've got only 1 episode.
    It seems to me that every detail from the game series were indeed brought to the TV series, even the armor recharging sound... and the detachable turreted machine gun.
    Any thoughts on the story line?
    chiefm247.jpg

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Eh, I thought it was good for a premier episode. It looks like it's gonna take from the books as well as the games so some people might be weird about that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What's Paramount + cost? Any intro offers, etc? I've got a few streaming svcs, but not this one.
    $5.99/month. It's the only streaming service I have. I never played the game, and never saw the movie or read the book(s) but I'm enjoying this. I find it amusing that the AI "assistant" to the Master Chief is called "Cortana". Isn't that the Windows "assistant"?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    $5.99/month. It's the only streaming service I have. I never played the game, and never saw the movie or read the book(s) but I'm enjoying this. I find it amusing that the AI "assistant" to the Master Chief is called "Cortana". Isn't that the Windows "assistant"?
    That was the reason that the Windows assistant was called Cortana (Microsoft bought Bungie and then turned Halo over to it it's 343 studios and then Bungie spun back off again, but MS kept ownership of Halo)

Kind of wish MS had kept with Cortana being the name of the AI stuff, but probably wise given some of how Cortana goes... Don't want to spoil anything depending on how far the show will follow the games. Now it's Copilot for Windows, Copilot for M365, etc

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Man, I finally hung my spartan helmet on the wall several moons ago. :( I'm not exaggerating when I say I've probably killed 50,000+ aliens as Master Chief during my Halo career. All the way from destroying the Pillar of Autumn's engine cores, to kicking ass in the New Mombassa's Wildlife Preserve as Dutch, I've been there, done that. From hoarding all the power weapons in Team Slayer, to camping in a cramped corridor with my fellow survivors waiting to unload on any zombie that "evaded" through the door in Infection. I remember making an account on Bungie.net, and watching all the new stupid Machinimas on Halo Waypoint. I've completed the entire original franchise on Legendary at least once (not LASO as that is for crazy people) including the infamous Halo 2.

I'm more of a game purist, and even then I only replay the original games made by Bungie. I gave 343 a chance with Halo 4 and didn't like the drama and romance implied in the story, or them f***ing up the story and making it resemble more of an Avengers story rather than the mysterious semi-hard sci-fi Combat Evolved was awesome for. Then they completely betrayed my trust with Halo 5. Screw 343. The only good thing they did for Halo was bring it to the PC, which would have already been on the PC if it wasn't for Microsoft in the first place.

As for the show, it would depend on what source material they chose from. If its lore back before Halo 4, then I may like it. I mean I really enjoyed Halo Legends, however if it's lore created after Halo 4, then no thanks from me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Man, I finally hung my spartan helmet on the wall several moons ago. :( I'm not exaggerating when I say I've probably killed 50,000+ aliens as Master Chief during my Halo career. All the way from destroying the Pillar of Autumn's engine cores, to kicking ass in the New Mombassa's Wildlife Preserve as Dutch, I've been there, done that. From hoarding all the power weapons in Team Slayer, to camping in a cramped corridor with my fellow survivors waiting to unload on any zombie that "evaded" through the door in Infection. I remember making an account on Bungie.net, and watching all the new stupid Machinimas on Halo Waypoint. I've completed the entire original franchise on Legendary at least once (not LASO as that is for crazy people) including the infamous Halo 2.

I'm more of a game purist, and even then I only replay the original games made by Bungie. I gave 343 a chance with Halo 4 and didn't like the drama and romance implied in the story, or them f***ing up the story and making it resemble more of an Avengers story rather than the mysterious semi-hard sci-fi Combat Evolved was awesome for. Then they completely betrayed my trust with Halo 5. Screw 343. The only good thing they did for Halo was bring it to the PC, which would have already been on the PC if it wasn't for Microsoft in the first place.

As for the show, it would depend on what source material they chose from. If its lore back before Halo 4, then I may like it. I mean I really enjoyed Halo Legends, however if it's lore created after Halo 4, then no thanks from me.
    1712586980397.png

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Yeah, when I encountered this thread this morning, it brought back some fond memories of one of my favorite game series growing up. Like the "Yesterday" thread, I couldn't help but reminisce on playing my favorite game during what I refer to as the "Golden Age in Gaming", which IMO was from the 90's to the early 2010's. Those were simpler times.

I can also say that the terrifying moments seven-year-old me had fighting the Flood in Combat Evolved is probably one of the reasons I am into guns now. In those missions, the ONLY friend you had was the gun in your hand, while everything else was some horrible monstrosity trying to kill you. Honestly, it's been a while since I've played a video game as the industry and most new games absolutely suck now. Also remodeling a house and working overtime doesn't help things either.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, when I encountered this thread this morning, it brought back some fond memories of one of my favorite game series growing up. Like the "Yesterday" thread, I couldn't help but reminisce on playing my favorite game during what I refer to as the "Golden Age in Gaming", which IMO was from the 90's to the early 2010's. Those were simpler times. Honestly, it's been a while since I've played a video game as the industry and most new games absolutely suck now.
    The closest I've come was playing Doom and Doom II. Prior to that it was just Mario Brothers and Sonic the Hedgehog type games. :): I'm just watching the series as science fiction. It has a very "Dune-like" vibe to me, and I had just seen Dune Part 2 a few weeks ago.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    The closest I've come was playing Doom and Doom II. Prior to that it was just Mario Brothers and Sonic the Hedgehog type games. :): I'm just watching the series as science fiction. It has a very "Dune-like" vibe to me, and I had just seen Dune Part 2 a few weeks ago.
    I've still yet to see Dune 2. My stepdad is in a Star Trek mood now, so it'll have to wait until he's done (he has all the streaming apps, I still use DVD's and can't justify the monthly fees). I've read the book and seen the original, so I already kind of know the story.

Combat Evolved has a very mysterious storyline that has elements of Arthur C. Clarke's "Rama", as well as Larry Niven's "Ringworld". The later games have a lot of gravity and drama to them as well (MacBeth like drama, not reality TV like drama). I remember CE's story giving nightmares, not because of the stuff you have to fight, but for some of the choices and dilemmas the story represents. I can't comment on what the TV show tells about the story, but the game story is actually pretty terrifying. Especially CE, however you get to blast things with a semi-auto pistol chambered in explosive hollow point 500 AutoMax, so it all balances out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've still yet to see Dune 2. My stepdad is in a Star Trek mood now, so it'll have to wait until he's done (he has all the streaming apps, I still use DVD's and can't justify the monthly fees). I've read the book and seen the original, so I already kind of know the story.

Combat Evolved has a very mysterious storyline that has elements of Arthur C. Clarke's "Rama", as well as Larry Niven's "Ringworld". The later games have a lot of gravity and drama to them as well (MacBeth like drama, not reality TV like drama). I remember CE's story giving nightmares, not because of the stuff you have to fight, but for some of the choices and dilemmas the story represents. I can't comment on what the TV show tells about the story, but the game story is actually pretty terrifying. Especially CE, however you get to blast things with a semi-auto pistol chambered in explosive hollow point 500 AutoMax, so it all balances out.
    I read the Dune books probably 40 years ago. When I started seeing the commercials for the Dune part 2 movie, I found Dune part 1 available on demand for free and watched it to refresh my memory. Once part 2 hit the theater I went and saw it. I almost never go to movies in the theater, but it was well worth it. I have an IMAX right by me so it was nice. I was bummed when I heard that part 3 won't be out until 2028. :(

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I am hearing goods things about it. A small group art church were saying how good it was. I also heard it does not completely follow the book.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I have this in my basement...

20191110_145235322_iOS.jpeg

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

The early books also had pretty good storylines if I recall (been a while since I read them).

I also liked the Karen Traviss books as well as her Star Wars stuff (Republic Commando, etc)

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I saw the original XBox logo at the bottom. Oh, my heart pains with nostalgia.

The closest thing like that I got is the Noble Team statue that came with the legendary edition of Reach.
    Yep, I have that as well. Both are in my media room in the basement. I still break out some Halo games every once in a while (I have kind of gotten out of playing last few years).

Halo was always my favorite game series. Not as complicated game play, accessible and story driven.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Yep, I have that as well. Both are in my media room in the basement. I still break out some Halo games every once in a while (I have kind of gotten out of playing last few years).

Halo was always my favorite game series. Not as complicated game play, accessible and story driven.
    I believe probably my most significant piece of Halo memorabilia (at least to me) would be my "Best of Platinum Hits" copy of Halo CE for the Original XBox. My dad got it for me the Christmas after Halo 3 came out. That as well as Halo 2, the original Star Wars Battlefronts, and Medal of Honor kept me company until I could afford an XBox 360 Elite while helping my dad on side jobs.

Halo is one of the primary reasons I taught myself 3D modeling and animation, as well as attempting to write my own sci-fi.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I think I have a fold out or paper back book that was from the early days when Halo was going to be on the Mac, etc. Found it when cleaning out an in law's garage. Will have to see if I can still find it.

I won the master chief statue in a contest back at launch of Halo 2. It showed up on a pallet. Was in my old house for about 13 years or so in our unfinished basement until it found a proper place in this house in late 2019

Top Bottom