• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you support mandatory national service for all people ages 18-25?

• Total voters

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Without my two cents, who agrees with mandatory national service for all people between the ages of 18-25? The bill has been sent to committee.

Universal National Service Act (H.R. 748) - GovTrack.us
    To require all persons in the United States between the ages of 18 and 25 to perform national service, either as a member of the uniformed services or as civilian service in a Federal, State, or local government program or with a community-based agency or community-based entity, to authorize the induction of persons in the uniformed services during wartime to meet end-strength requirements of the uniformed services, to provide for the registration of women under the Military Selective Service Act, and for other purposes.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Uhhh... No.

Though I do think it wouldn't be a bad thing to go back to allowing young men to enlist to avoid jail or prison for some crimes.

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    My 2cents,

No way, No how, would I support this. Having served and still serving. The last thing I want is someone guarding my six who doesn't want to be there. I have found them to be **** poor performers.

Again, just my 2cents

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Anybody who thinks we can adopt this, without it becoming a welfare-state-increasing Social Work program, is deluding themselves.

This is tantalizingly written to attract the support of both the God-and-Country Military lovers, and proponents of Big City social work experiments...but be assured, it will be the latter who will fatten and aggrandize themselves if this ever happens.

The last thing we need to be doing, is giving young people the idea that they have some fallback plan in life which involves using the Government as a substitute for a functioning and vibrant private sector. Our goal shouldn't be trying to deputize everybody as (U.S.) Eagle Scouts by mandatory Government fiat, but rather raising a generation of young people who see Government as the problem, not the solution.

Last edited:

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I dont see anything in the bill about getting the same compensation for mandatory service as voluntary.Military members already get low pay so if it mandatory then reason has it they would make the pay even lower because they dont need to have that incentive anymore.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I don't think it to be unreasonable, and in fact would probably do society as a whole a fair bit of good. And I say that as a guy who tried to join the military THREE times, finally enlisting in the ANG on the third before a third (different) and final medical disqualification.

That said, its 2013...this bill ain't going anywhere.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    One of the things that makes our country and our military great is that it is a volunteer military. Compulsary militaries are often (but not always) less effective. They have also been used by tyrants in the past to enforce very undesirable social policies.

USAFVet

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Indy
    Horrible idea. There were enough people when I was in the military that didn't want to be there.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    According to Section 102 (a), "It is the obligation of every citizen of the United States, and every other person residing in the United States, who is between the ages of 18 and 25 to perform a period of national service".

How does that strike you? I have heard these sentiments from several INGO members before.

Top Bottom