• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I have been digging around my safe the last couple days and found some of my older guns that I haven't shot in a long time. A few of them really mean a lot to me and I would probably live on the streets before I would sell them. I was wondering if any fellow INGO members had a couple guns that they would never get rid of?

Mine are:

Savage 22/.410 over and under that was my grandfathers and he gave it to my uncle who passed it on to me because his son doesn't care for firearms. The gun was bought by my grandfather used in a pawn shop in greenfield Indiana in 1954 (I think) and I still rabbit hunt with it.

Marlin Model 60, this is the gun my father taught me how to shoot with, he bought it from my great grandfathers estate when he passed. I still remember going out to the tree line and shooting peanut cans on the old farm.

Mossberg Model 88 was my very first shotgun that I got for Christmas when I was 13 years old. I have never hunted with another shotgun since, I know it's a cheap beater shotgun but it's my old beater shotgun

Lastly is my Marlin .22 mag bolt action (can't remember the model). My parents separated when I was younger and I had just started hunting. While living with my mother I wanted nothing more for my 14th birthday then some kind of .22 mag rifle to hunt yotes with (yes I hunt with .22mag). Well we went down to Whittaker's guns to just look for my birthday. They only had two .22 mags in stock one was a Savage with a synthetic stock and the other was this Marlin with a beautiful hardwood stock on it. The price difference was around $200 but my mother bought me that Marlin (this was a big deal for me, we where far from financially secure at the time).

Out of all the guns I own, these four are the most important to me, what about you?

MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    I have a Marlin 60 that belonged to by grandfather and just got it back to a reliable state. The only thing that means a lot to me is a Colt Diamondback .22 LR revolver that my uncle gave to me. My home was recently broken into and it was stolen. Thankfully the Hendricks County Sheriffs department located and returned it. Aside from those two guns, I could lose the rest and while I'd be upset, it wouldn't take an emotional toll.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I have a Korea era H&R M1 Garand, Rebarreled and gassed for .308, that my Father in law traded to me for couple better suited HD weapons. (12ga pumpgun, and a .45)

Winchester 43, .22 Hornet, that my Grandpa's best friend gave him. Unfortunately, before it was given to my Grandpa, his buddy's home was trashed in Katrina, it was never dried or cleaned and oiled, after it got flooded with seawater! When I got it, I had to soak the action in oil, before I could open the bolt! Surprisingly, It wasn't bad internally! Lands and grooves are sharp, nice shiny chamber, etc. I cleaned and oiled her, and shot it, and it's a tackdriver at 100, with it's era correct weaver 4 power scope, and sidesaddle mount!

I was new to "Gunsmithing" skills, but refinished her with a cheap birchwood casey kit. Stripped the stock, and re oiled and waxed it, it looks decent, but the outside of the barrel was so pitted, that even after beadblast, finish sand, and cold blue, it clearly still looks like crap, but it's done rusting!

I just got into duracoating, and as an automotive painter, it was an easy skill to pick up! My 43 is on the block next!

Both these rifles will be heirlooms for my boys!...(When they pry them from my cold dead hands!)

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    Mine would be a Harrington Richardson 20 gauge topper junior that my dad got for me when I'm guessing I was about 10 years old. Being that he passed away last April its priceless to me

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I have two. First a little chinese break barrel air pellet rifle and second is a Henry youth lever action .22 lr. Both were given to my by my grandfather and were my first two rifles. My grandfather was the one who introduced me to shooting and they mean more to me than any other in my small collection. I plan to pass both down to my (hope for) son when I have children.

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    My Nylon 66 circa 1972, because one of my aunts owned one.
    My Charles Daly Superior II .22 bolt action because I refinished the crappy stock, and combined with the wonderful metalwork it looks fantastic, and done by my hand.
    My Henry .22 H001, because it is a wonderful value and very fun.
    My Phoenix Arms HP 22 because it's my first firearm.

LynnMCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2013
    Knox County, Indiana
    The old Mossberg 22 semi-auto that first belonged to my dad (pre-WWII 51M? I've never paid attention). Every once in a while it has a feed issue with certain ammo (tube feed from the butt-stock), but the thing still shoots true. I put a 3x scope on it some years back and it's even better at longer range with hot 22LR loads. Fine plinking gun if a bit heavy from the wood stock. It takes out groundhogs at 100 yards that try to ravage the green beans in the garden just fine.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    While I love all my guns, the one that means the most to me personally is my dad's old Stevens 12 gauge side by side. It was one of the first guns I ever shot (in our back yard - and we don't live in the country!) and Mom gave it to me when he passed away in '98. As the OP said, I'd live on the streets before I'd sell it, although frankly, it wouldn't keep me off the streets very long from a monetary value standpoint.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    When I was a kid, my dad sold a Savage 187M to my uncle.
    A few years ago, my uncle passed away and my aunt gave it to me. It was in pretty rough shape, but I brought it back.
    Before my dad bought it, someone had carved "JW" in the stock... initials that don't match up to anyone in the family, so the running joke is that it was John Wayne's gun and thus we named it "The Duke".

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    My Grandfather has over his mantle the gun that has been in the family awhile. I'm not sure which war it saw action in, but it is a LONG musket with a bayonet of about 18."

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I've got a Marlin model 60, and an old unknown brand 12 gauge single that my grandfather gave to me when he passed on. He also had a single shot .22 that went to my cousin, I wanted it, because that was the first gun I ever shot, but as long as it stays in the family i'm good.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    main.php

First gun I ever bought. I was 12 and got it at a flea market with a brick of .22's for $100. I still have it today too, Mossberg Mdl 402 "Palomino" .22 S-L-LR is how the receiver is marked for caliber. I love this thing and don't think I could ever sell it, even for ridiculous money like a billion dollars. I actually mean that too which is starting to make me question my sanity... :n00b:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I'm a younger guy so my Springfield XD that I got from my father for my 18th birthday. Also a KAC vertical grip that was on my dads M4 while he was in Iraq/Afghanistan.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    1st would be my fathers .30-.30 Marlin, it was my dad's deer rifle. 2nd would be a New Haven .410 bolt action that was given to me before I was born, from one of my Dad's brothers that died before I was born.
    I like my other firearms but these two hold a special place in my heart.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    My grandfather or my father did not own any gun, so most of my guns I bought them myself. I probably say they all mean most to me. Since I traded the ones I didn't really care for.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It would be a split between the colt woodsman or the glock 22 I was just given by my aunt. The colt was her first gun and a dream gun for myself. The glock was my late uncles duty gun when he was sheriff and will now be my CCW and I will never sell either personally.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Rem 870 Wingmaster 20g that I got for my 12th Christmas. It was the first gun that was mine.

Win 1897 16g that was my Dad's.

A ML rifle that I ended up with that has been in the family since around mid 1800's.

i have several others that I don't see myself ever getting rid of but these definitely would never be sold, passed down maybe, but only after my son or grandson swear to keep them to pass down.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    My first real gun after the "red rider" is a savage model 24 over/under in 410/22. My grandpa had the barrel and butt stock shortened for me. I never shoot it anymore but i will always keep it and pass it on someday. My other grandpa gave me a glenfield model 60 22lr and i shot many bricks of ammo through it with lots of memories. All of the guns given to me by my grandfather have a special place as im sure they do for most of us on here.

Top Bottom