• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The only neighbors, IIRC, are a quick storage, a cemetery, a few closed up business, a church and DQ.
    You left out the hazardous waste disposal facility. ;) :D

Honestly, new business, designed for upscale clientele, would be a boon for that area.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Ooh I know right where that is. Would be cromulent to have one as close, almost as close as Don's was when it was up here. Hope they can get their T's dotted and their I's crossed; the city's not that friendly.

I think there's a shortage of stores in the area more because of the concentration of soccer moms than anything.

wouldnt put it past some people up there to use some sort of legal action to prevent such a place from being built.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    As much as I can't stand Dick's, why not use them as the poster child for the fact that Carmel has already let a firearm store within their borders, so president has been set!

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I know for a fact there are a lot of councilmen that are in favor of it. But they need to see support for it as well. We all need to be at the planning meeting on July 16th. 6 PM to show our support. This can happen in Carmel!

Are non-residents of Carmel allowed to attend? Would they even know if we lived within the Carmel limits? I'm just trying to see if it's worth attending.

indyharleyguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Carmel
    Here is what I have been told by a high ranking Carmel official. "It is probably a moot issue since the area has already been zoned for this type of business." We still need to show up for the Carmel Clay Plan Commission meeting on August 20th to show our support. It's at 6 PM. Carmel City Hall One Civic Square Carmel, IN 46032

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Getting some more information. (IHG - just sent you a pm.) ;)

First, the site looks to be north of the DQ, closer to the apartments. Not really near CHS at all. Basically, directly across from the cemetery extension. (Which, BTW, will lead to a bountiful supply of jokes about the people who don't follow the safety rules....) ;)

Second, the Plan Commission is not required to let anyone speak, although they can allow it if they want. But, it is a public meeting, so anyone can attend. IMHO, quantity has a quality all its own. That is, the more people there, the more the PC will understand the support.

Third, I don't think it will be the July meeting. There's a preliminary step called TAC (Technical Advisory Committee) and it looks like it is set for the TAC meeting on July 17. That's technically a public meeting, but it is really just a way for all the different entities (like utilities) to round-table the project.

So, I think it will be on the August 20 agenda of the PC. I'll get more information today.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Second, the Plan Commission is not required to let anyone speak, although they can allow it if they want. But, it is a public meeting, so anyone can attend. IMHO, quantity has a quality all its own. That is, the more people there, the more the PC will understand the support.

That is more along the lines I was thinking. I'm not a Carmel resident, but I live close and would frequent this shop/range. I would just like to show up to the meeting to show my support. The more numbers supporting it, the better it looks.

indyharleyguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Carmel
    Here is the e-mail address of the Carmel Plan Commission Administrative Assistant . Her Name is Lisa. If you send her an e-mail she is the one that sends it out to the rest of the committee. lmotz@carmel.in.gov
    She is on vacation until July 8th but she should still receive your e-mail.

Here is the link to their web page so you can see who all is on the committee.

City of Carmel, IN : Members

I also agree the public meeting will be on August 20th at 6 PM not on July 16th.

I am also being told the following. "Item will appear on Plan Commission agenda and public comment can be given at that time. The item will more than likely be sent to the Special Studies Committee of the Plan Commission for further review."

So everybody mark your calendar to be there on August 20th at 6 PM to show our support. Oh they did not say only Carmel residents are allowed to speak.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think it is good that it will be on the 8/20 agenda - that will give some more time for some organization.

This may sound like overkill, but it would probably be worth a meeting of the people who are planning to attend to talk about themes. I will write up some "talking points" to help people stay focused.

It also looks like I'll be able to arrange a meeting with the firm working with Point Blank. That will give me/us a better idea of what they see as the challenges.

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    Good point T.Lex about planning ahead of time on speakers. It sounds like you guys have some experience with these types of things. I've only been to a few local government type public meetings, but have heard enough people with poor speaking skills, or repetitive/rambling topics to see how it can kind of steal the thunder from a group's position.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    Either Carmel Mayor Braindead realizes political power infusion or nation wide publiciy he will fight the range / gunshop tooth and nail.

Because:

1. It wasn't his idea
    2. It doesn't meet with his grand plan
    3. It doesn't use public funds that he can leverage to control the business
    4. He's afraid that if he puts one of his famous expensive statues near the
    range, someone will shoot it.
    5.. Mayor Braindead is out of touch with his constituents

+++1

(and cant skimm any $$$$ out of the project)

RoosterJC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Carmel, IN
    2 things about this:

1) The owner of the DQ is worried. He is quoted today in the Carmel Current saying he is "stunned by the news." Also he said, "I can't believe the Mayor would want a business like this and the type of crowd it would attract." "We are a family business and I am concerned about people so close by carrying guns."

2) It is NOT to be located in Downtown Carmel. It will be north of the Dairy Queen.

indyharleyguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Carmel
    I have lived in Carmel 33 years and I do plan on talking at the city meetings and would love to meet to discuss some of the bullet points. I already have a lot of them written down. Some I have already shared with city council members and they think they are all good valid points.

I know what the newspaper article's are saying but I wander if they are wrong about the address? I live 2 minutes from there & drove by there today. The building just south of the DQ is for sale. It's Park Place Motors. Fox 59 even shows Park Place Motors in their clip they showed on TV.

Here you go.
    Cincinnati-based company takes aim at Carmel for new shooting range | Fox 59 News – fox59.com

Top Bottom