• ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Indiana Gun Club

The current individual who is "running" the Indiana Gun Club is only leasing the facility. The actual real estate and improvements are owned by the Indiana State Trapshooting Association. (ISTA). I would sincerely doubt the ISTA has any interest in providing member funds to expand the facility into an indoor pistol range.

In fact, the current zoning may not actually allow for it. Several years ago there was an attempt to expand the sporting clays range and the neighbors, by virtue of a successful lawsuit, stopped the expansion.

At one point there was talk of the ISTA moving their home grounds to an area near Columbus, IN. I haven't seen any recent news of this.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yes the Mayor of Carmel is against it now but he has changed his mind already a couple of times. I do know 3 City Councilmen are in favor of it. And there is no problem with zoning there also. We just need to keep letting the Planning board and the City Council know how many people are in favor of it. I think it will happen if we keep voicing our opinion on it.

I didn't even think about how very close this facility was to the HS until now. Opponents are going to hammer on that point. Soccer moms are going to kill this. :(

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The HS thing should be a non-starter. Think about how many cars go past the HS (on Main and on Smokey Row) that have guns in them.

Also, I would encourage any Carmel gun owners to go to the Plan Commission meeting. That will be where the action is. This issue is very unlikely to make it to the Council (although they can express their preference). Since it is already an allowed use under the existing zoning, the PC can only reject it if it meets some basic issues. I know the attorney on it, and he is VERY unlikely to make a mistake in those areas.

But, generally, the mayor controls the process. So, it will be important to have responsible gun owners talk at the PC meeting. I'm very tempted to go myself. :)

If anyone has an questions, feel free to PM me or I'll check this thread as often as I can.

vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    I drive by it all the time to get to keystone. The location in relationship to the school shouldn't matter. Where has a gun store posed a safety threat?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I drive by it all the time to get to keystone. The location in relationship to the school shouldn't matter. Where has a gun store posed a safety threat?

It shouldn't, but some are going to make HUGE deal out of it. As if some bad guy is going to stop there, and pick up some supplies, on his way to shoot up the HS.

indyharleyguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Carmel
    I know for a fact there are a lot of councilmen that are in favor of it. But they need to see support for it as well. We all need to be at the planning meeting on August 20th. 6 PM to show our support. This can happen in Carmel!

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    My question is... how does the council have any say? Not just in Carmel, but Brownsburg shot one down recently... if it meets Carmel zoning, why can't it just go in?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    We the people have ceded property rights to the collective long ago. This model is great when used to stop the things we don't like. Then it's not fair when it stops the things we do like.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I know for a fact there are a lot of councilmen that are in favor of it. But they need to see support for it as well. We all need to be at the planning meeting on July 16th. 6 PM to show our support. This can happen in Carmel!

I'm embarrassed and ashamed to admit I've never been to a local government meeting of any kind like this. How does this work? I've been a resident of Carmel for years but I've moved juuuuust north enough to be in Westfield now.
    Can I even go?
    Other than benefiting me to see it, can I benefit the cause by being there as a non resident?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My question is... how does the council have any say? Not just in Carmel, but Brownsburg shot one down recently... if it meets Carmel zoning, why can't it just go in?

I have been thinking the same thing, unless because they are removing one building and building a new one, they need permit for everything. Building permits is the only thing I can see the counsel getting involved with that would do anything to stop it.

Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    Either Carmel Mayor Braindead realizes political power infusion or nation wide publiciy he will fight the range / gunshop tooth and nail.

Because:

1. It wasn't his idea
    2. It doesn't meet with his grand plan
    3. It doesn't use public funds that he can leverage to control the business
    4. He's afraid that if he puts one of his famous expensive statues near the
    range, someone will shoot it.
    5.. Mayor Braindead is out of touch with his constituents

indyharleyguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Carmel
    We need to get as many Carmel residents to speak in support of it as possible. I'm sure it won't hurt having others there showing support also! Carmel residents email your City Council. Listen to what they have to say. I'm telling you from what I am hearing from them this can happen.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Yes the Mayor of Carmel is against it now but he has changed his mind already a couple of times. I do know 3 City Councilmen are in favor of it. And there is no problem with zoning there also. We just need to keep letting the Planning board and the City Council know how many people are in favor of it. I think it will happen if we keep voicing our opinion on it.

I know from past experience that the mayor does read his emails. Not saying that we could change his mind, but sending an email is not a waste of time.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Couple answers, in no particular order:
    1. The Mayor has significant influence over the Plan Commission, but it is a separate entity.
    2. This issue will not directly end up in front of the Council (I don't know if the Brownsberg thing was a PUD or other zoning issue that required that council approval).
    3. I know non-Carmel residents can appear - it is a public meeting. I don't know if non-Carmel residents will be allowed to speak.
    4. I know the Mayor does read emails from constituents, but I'm not sure how effective it will be since he already came out against it.

I am more than happy to help organize people who are going to show up. I think there are certain points that will resonate better with the PC than others. I need to talk to a few people first.

(Also, under the state pre-emption law, concealed carry might be allowed in the meeting.) ;)

indyharleyguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Carmel
    Here is what I am being told. Found out that the land is zoned for that use, therefore they are only coming in for what we call ADLS, architecture, design, lighting and signage, approval, from the Plan Commission. Since they are NOT asking for any variances, they will not have to get approval from the Board of Zoning Appeals. No zoning change means no trip to the Council. Also, that have the best local attorney.

From the Councilors to whom I have spoken....a majority are in favor of them coming to Carmel.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Alas, as you note, it is unlikely to an extreme that this would ever get in front of the Council. And, the Mayor has a controlling number of nominations to the PC (and the administrative review is done by a department of the City).

At the meeting, I think we need to stress that this politics should not be part of this. It is about a free market. This is a legitimate business. It shows that Carmel is a place businesses want to come to. The most effective way to fight the political element is to have people come and voice their support.

I have reached out to the attorney involved, indeed he is one of the best. There are a few others I want to contact, but like I said, I am happy to help organize this effort.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Now to see if the residents want this in their neighborhood. I believe Brownsburg recently turned down a similar plan.

I want it. The only neighbors, IIRC, are a quick storage, a cemetery, a few closed up business, a church and DQ. If it meets zoning, there is no legit reason to keep it out. Plus, businesses in that area of the A&D district, are dying. Any traffic, even redneck, gun-toting traffic should provide some relief.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom